PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: BC Humane Society requesting temp pet foster parents  (Read 50 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
BC Humane Society requesting temp pet foster parents
« on: March 25, 2020, 04:34:56 AM »

The Beaver County Humane Society is looking for people interested in giving a temporary foster home to one of their cats, dogs or rabbits while they are closed for the next few weeks. BCHS will provide food and litter to the foster family.

If you think you might be interested in being a temporary foster parent, contact the BCHS.

Thanks.

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: BC Humane Society requesting temp pet foster parents
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:40:08 AM »

The Beaver County Humane Society is looking for people interested in giving a temporary foster home to one of their cats, dogs or rabbits while they are closed for the next few weeks. BCHS will provide food and litter to the foster family.

If you think you might be interested in being a temporary foster parent, contact the BCHS.

Thanks.

That is really sad for these animals that they are closing down. I would do it but I have 4 dogs already!

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 05:08:37 PM »

BCHS is NOT closing. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

In fact, they are still allowing current volunteers to help out, but with a few changes.

Right now they are not having regular, open business hours, but they ARE having hours by appointment for anyone interested in adopting or fostering an animal. They are trying to get animals into foster homes to make it a little nicer for the animals in the short term and to ease the burden on the regular staff who care for them. There are a lot of food dishes to wash and disinfect plus cage doors and toys plus laundry and needs to transport cats/rabbits to their pet store partners, pick up food donations and the like. It's not all just petting cats and walking dogs!

hs, that's awesome you have 4 dogs. I have 3 cats. 2 of them would be ok with a foster cat, but my middle cat is already not that crazy about being part of a clowder and would cause a problem with yet another cat in the house, no matter how temporary.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:49:44 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up bfgrad. Ya, I have 4 dogs. Chocolate lab, 2 poodles and a pit bull/terrier mix we rescued from the humane society. My wife is allergic to cats so I tried to talk her into fostering some rabbits and she thinks I am crazy. Hell, if I knew my wife wouldn’t file for a divorce immediately after, I would have chickens also!

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 08:01:50 PM »

Rabbits are pretty friendly and they can be litter trained, but you have to watch them if they are out of their pen because they'll gnaw on the electric wires!

I was up dropping off a big bag of cat food and one of litter and ended up doing a volunteer shift washing dishes. (Yes, volunteers are exempt!) They've had a lot of people step up to foster cats and dogs and there aren't many cats left at the shelter, didn't check the dogs. One of the staff said around 5 people a day were calling volunteering to foster. They're hoping many of the fosters turn into permanent adoptions, but we'll see. It's been an awesome response from Beaver Countians. There are obviously a lot of compansionate animal lovers here. I'm glad you and your wife are two of them.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 11:48:25 PM »

bfgrad, this really is a good time to adopt a pet.  My oldest son and his wife decided since they're both working from home for the foreseeable future, it would be a perfect time to adopt a dog.  They've been checking the shelters and local humane societies since they all seem to have virtual adoptions.  First thing he said to me is "as soon as this virus thing is over, we'll have to bring the new dog over so he can get used to yours".  LOL  That means we'll have another grandpuppy to babysit! 

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:18:44 AM »

Congrats on the new grandpuppy, DR.

It is a perfect time to adopt especially if you've been thinking about it. Animals are perfect companions if you have to be home. They give unconditional love and are great de-stressers. There is nothing quite like brushing or petting a cat or taking a dog out for a walk or just playing with them to get one's mind off things and relax a little.