Author Topic: PIAA and cornovirous Bullshit  (Read 591 times)

Offline rdg1975

• All State
PIAA and cornovirous Bullshit
« on: March 11, 2020, 09:02:59 PM »
WTF have we become, in my humble opinion this has become a nightmare of overblown proportions. Maybe I am old school but we have gone through some bad flu outbreaks which made the young sick but mortality only affected the older and infirm. What are everyone’s opinions?

Offline Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: PIAA and cornovirous Bullshit
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 11:54:30 PM »
WTF have we become, in my humble opinion this has become a nightmare of overblown proportions. Maybe I am old school but we have gone through some bad flu outbreaks which made the young sick but mortality only affected the older and infirm. What are everyone’s opinions?

Given the fact that 60 million Italians are now quarantined, the NBA has suspended their season, the NCAA playoffs will be played in empty arena's.  We have a very, very serious problem.  The fact that young people can be carriers with no side affects, creates major issues.  These type viruses can also mutate and become immune to antibiotics.  The fact that Trump sat on his hands for a month before reacting has not helped the situation.  The biggest issue is we have no clue how many people are really infected because of the very limited tests available.  Other governments ramped up their testing production immediately and it's making a difference.  75, it's not just old people.  Anyone that has asthma, lung issues, immune system problems, COPD, etc.  is at high risk and this virus could be far more lethal than the flu.  When the World Health Organization declares it a world wide pandemic, it's deadly serious.

Offline coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
DR.  Totally agree with you.   Funny, though, I was watching the PIAA Swimming Championships on PCN last night and seeing the medal award ceremonies.  After swimming together in the 'same' water together and hugging each other, a number of the kids coming up to receive their medals would do elbow bumps with the other teams at the podium. Most just did the usual handshake, but it was funny to see the relay teams all jammed on the little steps together ..32 swimmers shoulder to shoulder. :)  I hope they super clorinated the pool. :)

Offline SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »

Given the fact that 60 million Italians are now quarantined, the NBA has suspended their season, the NCAA playoffs will be played in empty arena's.  We have a very, very serious problem.  The fact that young people can be carriers with no side affects, creates major issues.  These type viruses can also mutate and become immune to antibiotics.  The fact that Trump sat on his hands for a month before reacting has not helped the situation.  The biggest issue is we have no clue how many people are really infected because of the very limited tests available.  Other governments ramped up their testing production immediately and it's making a difference.  75, it's not just old people.  Anyone that has asthma, lung issues, immune system problems, COPD, etc.  is at high risk and this virus could be far more lethal than the flu.  When the World Health Organization declares it a world wide pandemic, it's deadly serious.

I have to agree DownRiver. The NHL has suspended their season and MLB has suspended spring training. Connecticut has cancelled all high school basketball playoffs. This virus is a monster and we're only seeing the beginning.
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

Offline Crabber

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 05:40:55 PM »
More & more states are cancelling their basketball playoffs and I really think by noon tomorrow every state will have cancelled

Offline knight61

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »
"The fact that Trump sat on his hands for a month before reacting has not helped the situation."

Downriver,

President Trump,  put the travel ban on China at the end of January.  And when he did the Dems were hollering and screaming  calling the President a racist.  In the meanwhile, President Trump has assembled a staff of some of the top medical persons in the US  to approach this virus in a medical approach rather then a political approach.  The  Democrats approach, as always, is throw a ton of money at the problem and hire 5000 more federal workers that the US taxpayer  be paying for the rest of their lives.

Offline overlaper

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 08:03:16 AM »
There is another area on this board to discuss " politics " --- High School Basketball / Eastern PA Basketball is NOT THE PLACE ! ! !

Offline Husky68

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 09:07:52 AM »
If you're the coach of one of the "remaining" teams do you keep practicing for two weeks or do you release your kids for spring sports??

Offline SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 09:49:45 AM »
If you're the coach of one of the "remaining" teams do you keep practicing for two weeks or do you release your kids for spring sports??

If it were my team I would keep on practicing so we're prepared for the next game.
If that game does not happen, your kids are already in great shape if they choose to play a spring sport.
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

Offline Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »

If it were my team I would keep on practicing so we're prepared for the next game.
If that game does not happen, your kids are already in great shape if they choose to play a spring sport.

I agree Steamers.  We don't know what's happening 2 or 3 weeks down the road and as a team you want to be on top of your game if you have a shot at the title.  Hopefully PA will continue with a low virus count and the kids will get a chance to play.

Offline Crabber

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 03:26:27 PM »
Also if you don't play basketball you're not  going to be playing another sport either

Offline RyanHS93

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 09:07:31 PM »
I think the US is doing a great job with this  Lets see moving forward   I think 50% of infected people worldwide are recovered already(correct me if wrong)   Not trying to be political here but just saying I think the Private labs involved will be awesome   In the end we will never lose 12459 Americans like in 2009

I also believe these games will be played Basketball
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:12:51 PM by RyanHS93 »

Offline Crabber

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 01:41:26 PM »
Let's hope you are right

Offline RyanHS93

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
Wishful thinking  and common sense   Play the game with no fans  Just allow parents of the players spread out   Make them use hand sanitizer when entering the gym 

Online BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
I hate to burst your bubbles but they aren’t playing these games.