PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Fridays during Lent  (Read 134 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Fridays during Lent
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:13:31 PM »

Will start an Easter thread later on during Lent.  For now, heres the place to post your fish/seafood exploits on Ash Wednesday and each Friday during Lent.

To kick off the season, i made a Cajun Shrimp Linguine for Fat Tuesday Mardi Gras tonight.

Not actually sure where we're going for fish tomorrow after massfor ashes.  Ill post an update after we eat tomorrow.  We haven't decided on whete to go on Friday yet either for the first Fish Friday.

FYI: I now have a new Instagram to follow my food/drink happenings.  Search me out:  "zapponenicholas" or by my name Nicky Zappone
"there is a light that never goes out"

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
Re: Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Fridays during Lent
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:34:50 AM »

Well, for Ash Wednesday last night, I actually went with a seafood pizza at Jaffre's Restaurant in Greensburg.  Shrimp and some flaked crab meat tossed in a butter garlic sauce on the pizza dough and topped with cheese and basil.

Still deciding where to get fish tomorrow, the first Friday of Lent. 

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »

Yesterday did not get any fish (cheese pizza..my  oldest son's school has a once a month fundraiser with a local pizza chain so we did that).

Tomorrow I work late so probably either Subway tuna sub for dinner or filet o fish.

Looking forward to some kind of fish fry next week.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 04:54:25 PM »

Usually for this week Iíll buy a pound of salmon at the store and eat half Ash Wednesday and half on Friday. I had it with rice and broccoli yesterday. Iíll probably mix the other half into Mac and cheese tomorrow.

My others Fridayís are usually at a few fish fries, Friday of March madness is always a vacation day spent at the South Side Primantiís for fish and basketball. Good Friday is always at my parents. My mom makes something good like orange roughy. The rest are usually trying different fish fries.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »

BT

I try to do the same on the first Friday of March Maddness as well. We do not have Primanti's here in northeast Ohio but we do have Panini's (which as I've argued before is probably the best outside of PGH take on Primanti's that I have had). They do not have fish on their regular menu (Primanti's if I recall always has the Fish and the Colossal Fish on the menu while at Panini's fish is only a Lenten menu item) but it is a great way to spend a few hours during my favorite two days of the sports year!

On a side note I always like to stock up on tuna this time of the year (it makes for an easy snack after work if I work late or an easy lunch if I am home on said Friday, and I like to make tuna melts once during Lent). However yesterday I ordered from Giant Eagle "Curbside Pickup" Chicken of the Sea chunk light tuna in water. They apparently were out ($0.69/can is a good deal but seriously?)...and to make matters worse my "personal shopper" said that he substituted Chicken of the Sea chunk light tuna in oil!? Instead of "sir, we will get you a tuna in water different brand same price or even different brand full price. It wasn't that big of an order, either (just two cans to get me through this weekend). Point being for one if anyone has the preference here of "in oil vs in water" and two I liken it to substituting Miracle Whip for Mayonnaise...just not at all alike!

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 10:54:58 AM »

I don't go in for that 'personal shopper' idea.  I like to see and touch what I buy. Don't want someone giving me ripe bananas and need to look at the cut of  meat, etc.  Maybe when I get to be unable to shop on my own, for whatever reason, I will deal with it...or get put in a home and feed oatmeal.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 03:09:09 PM »

BT: yup my college buddies and i try and have a "watch party" afternoon somewhere as well on the Friday of the opening weekend of March Madness.

YIG: had to laugh at your Filet-O-Fish reference as a possibility for dinner tonight.  The FOF sandwich is my fast food secret vice.  Warm bun, cheese, lots of tartar.  Whats not to like!

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »

Well if anybody is looking for a fun watch party and in the area, south side Primantiís on 3/20 is a fun time. My college friends and I are on about year 12 or 13 of it.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 10:42:17 PM »

BT: yup my college buddies and i try and have a "watch party" afternoon somewhere as well on the Friday of the opening weekend of March Madness.

YIG: had to laugh at your Filet-O-Fish reference as a possibility for dinner tonight.  The FOF sandwich is my fast food secret vice.  Warm bun, cheese, lots of tartar.  Whats not to like!
I always hated to admit I love the FOF.  Would always get a couple on Friday nights as a before game meal.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 10:08:27 AM »

I don't go in for that 'personal shopper' idea.  I like to see and touch what I buy. Don't want someone giving me ripe bananas and need to look at the cut of  meat, etc.  Maybe when I get to be unable to shop on my own, for whatever reason, I will deal with it...or get put in a home and feed oatmeal.

I do it simply because of wrangling 3 kids if I have a weekday off and my wife is at work. Admittedly it has been mostly ok. Once bananas too green, and avocados can be hit or miss. Otherwise until this past Thursday no real gripes, but this past Thursday the tuna substitution attempt/gaffe and they also screwed up my Dietz and Watson deli turkey order (I am a deli meat snob admittedly but they gave me Santa Fe flavor instead of Oven Roasted...it was good but my kids don't like the Santa Fe types of spices and admittedly it was too salty even for me). Aldi does have "Instacart" available which is a delivery service. I believe around $5 for the delivery plus tip. That is another option.

I actually do MOST of my grocery shopping at night if I work until 11pm then go to Market District, Meijer, or Wal-Mart. Prefer Meijer because they leave all of the Self Checkouts open so they are the most in and out. Wal-Mart is disturbingly busy. Market District/Giant Eagle close ALL self-checkouts so lines can be an issue (i.e. one cashier but 6 customers in the store all checking out at once).

I always hated to admit I love the FOF.  Would always get a couple on Friday nights as a before game meal.

It is a tasty fish sammich admittedly (and is probably the ONLY application in which I like cheese on a fish sandwich). My gripe has always been size. 2 is not filing enough for me but I can't justify buying more than that unless I'm absolutely starving. It's a better lunch for me than a dinner.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »

Well if anybody is looking for a fun watch party and in the area, south side Primantiís on 3/20 is a fun time. My college friends and I are on about year 12 or 13 of it.

That sounds like fun! Ever since they started airing the games on multiple networks at once I have been less likely to go out, but still like to do so at least for lunch or dinner that first Friday.

I remember the Damon's days (when Damon's was in Southland) of putting the sound on the game that we wanted to watch. Essentially kind of what I do now with the power to change the channel...watch the most competitive game at its latest point! Very rarely do two competitive games end at the same time.