PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mythical State Football Champs (PA)  (Read 340 times)

hitman66

• All State
Re: Mythical State Football Champs (PA)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 07:48:10 PM »

Been extra busy lately, but I wanted to add another entry to this thread. 

1891:  HAVERFORD SCHOOL (8-0) [486 SR, outscored opposition 208-0].

1891 saw some outstanding history being made on both sides of the ball, but as we all know "defense wins championships" ….. and that cliché might've originated in this very year!  On one side of the ball you had Penn Charter (10-3), who scored a whopping 520 points (74 ppg avg) in 7 on-the-field wins (3 games were forfeits).  PC's explosiveness gets even better when you just include the wins vs HS competition:  482 points in 6 victories (80+ ppg), including a then-record 122-0 decimation of Philadelphia Manual Training School!!!  The problem was, they should've saved some of those points, because they only scored 8 points COMBINED in their 3 losses!!! 

On the other side of the ball you had Haverford School, who defeated the PC offensive juggernaut more decisively than The Hill School (2-3) did, 17-0 to 4-0, to stake a rare UNANIMOUS claim as the state's best.  Philadelphia Central (0-2) again was listed by Gridfax (GF) and others as the "public" state champ, but failed to win a game for the 5th straight year (now 0-7 to date according to the Saylor Records).  Philly Central was one of #1-ranked Haverford School's 6 shutout victims (2 games were forfeits), getting blanked 29-0.

hitman66

• All State
Re: Mythical State Football Champs (PA)
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 11:34:50 PM »

I'm happy to report that I discovered another key source for this project.....maybe even the best source of all!  And I've begun to tap this VAST treasure trove of info.  I guess the timing was right, because the next year that I'm posting about was VERY important as far as PA football history was concerned.  For the first time, a public school could realistically be recognized as a champion.  And even though they weren't PA's overall best team, they were setting the wheels in motion to get better, something that would eventually pay off for all of the other non-private schools.

1892:  Overall --- THE HILL SCHOOL (2-1) [500 SR];
           Public --- PHILADELPHIA CENTRAL (5-3-2) [417 SR].

After a rare "down" year, The Hill School came back with a vengeance.....thumping Inter-Ac champ Penn Charter (30-6) and defending state champ Haverford School (58-0) to begin a streak of 6 consecutive years where they would have a legit claim as PA's top team.  Their only loss was to the Princeton Freshmen.

Also, after 2 years of empty claims, the giant public school Philadelphia Central finally won some contests, and played a "full" slate of games.  Phila Central split 2 games with the PA Military College, and also lost to Penn Charter (10-0) and The Hill School JV.  Yes, JAYVEE.  Central knew it wasn't ready for The Hill School Varsity, but began taking steps to bridge that gap.  They went 0-1-1 against them.....playing to a 6-6 tie, and losing 10-0. 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:55:42 PM by hitman66 »
Pages: 1 [2]