PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: NFL Playoffs, NCAA Championship, Super Bowl  (Read 100 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
NFL Playoffs, NCAA Championship, Super Bowl
« on: January 03, 2020, 12:10:10 PM »

It's that time of year when the holidays are behind us, but January weekends of playoff football are in front of us!

Tomorrow, Jan 4, is National Spaghetti Day.  So I'm making a skillet of white wine, olive oil, garlic, black pepper and grated cheese sauce to eat with spaghetti later in the day for the Wild Card games.

For the LSU/Clemson game on Jan 13, I'll pop in a few oven apps (cheese sticks, pretzel chunks).  Maybe some veggies/dip.

Super Bowl is always at my cousin's house, and is always cheese ravioli in "Sunday Sauce" Bolognese with pork, meatballs, and sausages.  And the usual sides of fried peppers, chicken wings, snacks, cookies, etc...

This should be a good topic to read all the replies. Love seeing everyone's party ideas and items.  Enjoy all the upcoming games!
"there is a light that never goes out"

coach99

• Hall of Fame
Re: NFL Playoffs, NCAA Championship, Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »

Ever do any 'theme' type spreads based on the teams?  Like some cajun stuff for LSU and southern cuisine for Clemson.  Putting together some city related foods for the Pro games rather than just the standard wings, etc...well other than Buffalo wings. Just coming off top of my head..have to take a look at who all is playing to put a menu together. Never really got into anything big or special for Super Bowl, even when Steelers played, so this will be something new.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »

regional menu items is a great idea!  with all the micro beers available now, you could pick beers from specific areas too.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:29:16 PM »

NCAAs always being on a Monday night (and late to boot...8pm start (with an even later kickoff) means the game will last until Midnight) makes it a non event for me.

Superbowl I make buffalo chicken wings, tortilla chips and guacamole, and pizza. I have made ribs before also  Superbowl kicks off at 6:30 which is perfect IMO. Maybe some other snacks.

The guac I make from scratch.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 07:36:34 AM »

Guac is the only way i can est avacado.  Hate it on sliced on sandwiches, in salads, etc....

But love it mashed with garlic, onions, lemon juices and spices!

How do you make yours?

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »

Avocado, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, salt.

I honestly do it to mimmick  Chipotle's. IMO Chipotle's guac sets the standard for my tastes.

A random tasty one (tastes different than Chipotle's but is still yummy) is actually the Wal-Mart from their produce/salads section. They have mild and spicy I've never tried the spicy but the mild is good.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »

Also something that I've done before instead of chicken wings and pizza for the Superbowl is either taco bar (giving the guacamole another vehicle) or fish tacos with a sauce made of an Adobo chili sauce (simply Adobo chilis and mayo) topped with a vinegar slaw of napa cabbage, shredded carrots, and some bell pepper.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 04:55:13 PM »

I finally gave in and just took the day off after the super bowl. Every year I tell myself itís a waste of a day off but then on super bowl night I regret it.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 09:20:11 PM »

I finally gave in and just took the day off after the super bowl. Every year I tell myself itís a waste of a day off but then on super bowl night I regret it.

Haha awesome.  I've decided to not schedule any trucks in or out that Monday morning either.  Between the 6:45 start time, long halftime, and expected penalty reviews/challenges, who knows how long we'll all be out or when we get to bed.