PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: NFL Playoffs  (Read 685 times)

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
Re: NFL Playoffs
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2020, 10:19:27 AM »

I think playoffs should be expanded to 8 teams from each conference eliminating byes.

I think that the previous decade (Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Giants all winning Superbowls emerging from the Wild Card round) would have made a better argument than the 2010s if you're talking benefiting the top seeds as a team without a BYE has not even made it to the Superbowl since Ray Lewis was an NFL player, Colin Kaepernick was starting Superbowls, and Jim Harbaugh was an NFL coach lol.

2010 Winner (Packers - WC) Runner-up (Steelers - BYE)
2011 Winner (Giants - WC) Runner-up (Patriots - BYE)
2012 Winner (Ravens - WC) Runner-up (49ers - BYE)
2013 Winner (Seahawks - BYE) Runner-up (Broncos - BYE)
2014 Winner (Patriots - BYE) Runner-up (Seahawks - BYE)
2015 Winner (Broncos - BYE) Runner-up (Panthers - BYE)
2016 Winner (Patriots - BYE) Runner-up (Falcons - BYE)
2017 Winner (Eagles - BYE) Runner-up (Patriots - BYE)
2018 Winner (Patriots - BYE) Runner-up (Rams - BYE)

Just for fun I think that one of these days this week I will dig into the other two "hot takes" from the PSB:
-resting starters in Week 17 vs making it to the Superbowl
-resting starters in Preseason Week 4 vs making it to the Superbowl

I have a feeling without even looking that the proof is going to be in the pudding once again.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2020, 05:13:28 PM »

I just think it would be better to have more teams in the playoffs. Not trying to make a point of having a bye or not.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2020, 03:20:50 PM »

I just think it would be better to have more teams in the playoffs. Not trying to make a point of having a bye or not.

So that's fair enough.

And I guess that is debatable.  I will admittedly say that I am for more teams in the playoffs (i.e. when we are discussing WPIALs for example). For every 16 seed that had gotten TJ'd or Clairton'd or Aliquippa'd over the years there are the 16/1 shockers (Greensburg-Salem over Franklin Regional and Highlands over Uniontown) and the slow starters who got better as the season went on and snuck into the playoffs and made a run (2004 West Mifflin going to Heinz with a losing regular season record, the inagural Central Valley winning at Heinz, even TJ 2015 I think began 0-2 and finished on the lower half of the bracket. I would NEVER be for shrinking the WPIALs for example.

I think that this season though is a perfect example why that is debatable though.

If you went 8 deep in the NFC I think that you have a solid group:
1 49ers vs 8 Bears (Bears easily the worst team in the field and gives the 49ers the closest thing to a BYE in the NFC)
2 Packers vs 7 Rams (Packers favored but Rams are defending NFC Champs with much of the same team back and would maybe have a "never say die" mentality)
3 Saints vs 6 Vikings
4 Eagles vs 5 Seahawks

AFC field looks worse obviously:
1 Ravens vs 8 Broncos (7-9 Broncos did not look or feel like a playoff team at any point throughout the season)
2 Chiefs vs 7 Steelers (an old fashioned Duck Hodges vs Patrick Mahomes duel at Arrowhead haha)
3 Patriots vs 6 Titans
4 Texans vs 5 Bills

If we want to go back here are the last two in by year:
2018 AFC 7 Steelers 9-6-1; 8 Titans 9-7; NFC 7 Vikings 8-7-1; 8 Panthers 7-9
2017 AFC 7 Ravens 9-7; 8 Chargers 9-7; NFC 7 Lions 9-7; 8 Cowboys 9-7
2016 AFC 7 Texans 9-7; 8 Broncos 9-7; NFC 7 Buccaneers 9-7; 8 Redskins 8-7-1
2015 AFC 7 10-6 Jets; 8 8-8 Bills; NFC 7 Falcons 8-8; 8 7-9 Lions
2014 AFC 7 Texans 9-7; 8 9-7 Bills; NFC 7 Eagles 10-6; NFC 8 49ers (reminder that the Panthers won a division at 7-8-1)
2013 AFC 7 Dolphins 8-8; AFC 8 Jets 8-8; NFC 7 Cardinals 10-6; NFC 8 Cowboys 8-8
2012 AFC 7 Steelers 8-8; AFC 8 Dolphins 7-9; NFC 7 Bears 10-6; Giants 9-7
2011 AFC 7 Chargers 8-8; AFC 8 Raiders 8-8; NFC 7 Bears 8-8; Cowboys 8-8
2010 AFC 7 Chargers 9-7; AFC 8 Raiders 8-7; NFC 7 Giants 10-6; NFC 8 Rams 7-9 (reminder that Seahawks won a division at 7-9)

Out of context it is difficult to say how some of those teams would have done. Probably the best teams of that group would have been:
2010 Chargers 9-7 (2009 Chargers were 13-3 and Chargers at the time were 4x defending AFC West Champs during the Rivers/Norv/Gates/LT era and typical of that era were hot in December)
2018 Steelers 9-6-1 (although who knows how the Antonio Brown saga would have played out in week 18 knowing what we did then and knowing what we do now)
2010 Giants 10-6 (double digit wins and Eli was dangerous in the playoffs)
2008 Chargers 8-8 (see: 2010 Chargers...same core minus LT,)
2013 Cardinals 10-6 (double digit wins and Carson Palmer at QB...Reshard Mendenhall at RB just for fun!)
2015 Jets, 2014 Eagles, 2012 Bears all had 10 win seasons as well

Of course you have some stinkers in there (Jeff Fisher era Rams make it a couple of times, Jets/Dolphins benefit from weak AFC Easts a few times, and I feel like any time that you see Redskins appear that they were probably not an inspired bunch).

Because of the nature of one and done who knows. Maybe a Jeff Fisher era Rams team goes into Seattle or New Orleans and shocks the world. And a team like the Chargers of the turn of the decade benefit from being an underdog (after all, they won playoff games playing in the Wild Card round in 2007 and 2008 but lost games with BYEs in 2004 and 2006 in Marty's last two playoff appearances and 2009 Norv's last playoff appearance).

I guess like anything else context does matter as well as preference of BYEs as a reward vs even playoff home games as a reward for winning a division regardless of record (which I am for that).

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »

A quick summary of those 40 impacted teams though:

21 had winning records
15 .500 records
4 losing records (which 2 teams won divisions with losing records during that era)

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2020, 06:41:09 PM »

Remember in the 80s when 5 teams made the playoffs (3 division winners and 2 WC).  It was very weird as the division winners had a bye and 2 WC teams played each other.  Common sense says the WC winner plays the 1 seed and most times that was the case, unless they were in the same division. 

So one season 5 seed Rams won and instead of seeing the 1 seed 49ers, they ended up playing the 2 seed and the Niners had to face the 3 seed.  Just a weird way to do the playoffs and things were even weirder before that. 

I like  how we are with 6 teams in each conference and at worst I could see going to 7 teams each conference and only giving the 1 seed in each conference a bye.  That way you could have 3 games on Sat and 3 on Sunday of WC weekend (1, 4:30, 8:00).  I think that is another reason you won't see 8 teams as the NFL would have to have games go against each other on TV.  The NFL and the Networks like having their playoff games as the only game on for those 3 plus hours.  You would split the viewing audience if you had 4 games and 2 had to be played in 1 of the 3 available windows.  Unless you wanted a game to start at 10 AM or 11 PM. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1800-602 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 48 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2020, 08:55:11 PM »

Panthers LB Luke Kuechly retires
"there is a light that never goes out"

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »

Panthers LB Luke Kuechly retires

He and Patrick Willis were two of the best ILB drafted in last 20 years and both retired in their prime due to the beatings they took.  More and more guys are getting out sooner for their health. 

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2020, 03:07:45 PM »

NFL news:

Drew Rosenhaus drops AB as a client.  More than anything, this proves AB's well is running dry.  Rosenhaus is a whore for the almighty dollar.  If even Rosenhaus thinks there's nothing left, there's nothing left.  AB now has no agent, no apparent guidance or no apparent leverage to deal with the NFL or teams. 

Not to mention that video from the other day will always be out there, and the headlines about the gummy penis candy. 

Just like The Greatful Dead - it can be said what a long strange trip it's been for AB the past couple calendar years. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »

I just hope he finds help before he kills himself or somebody else. I ultimately think thatís where this is headed.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2020, 07:15:35 PM »

Congrats to the Kansas City Chiefs who defeated the Tennessee Titans today 35-24 and will wait to see who wins between the Packers and 49ers and see who they will play in the Super Bowl

Chiefs defense held Derrick Henry under 100 yards which was vital as the Titans havenít lost a game when he goes over 100 yards rushing

49ers up on the Packers 10-0

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2020, 08:03:46 PM »

Jimmy Garrapolo has only thrown 6 passes the entire first half but are also up 27-0. Packers have no answer for the run today

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2020, 08:08:55 PM »

Game over....

Rogers completed his first 7 passes, and was DOWN 20-0.
Then, incomplete and interception.  Shortly thereafter, its 27-0.

'49ers vs. Chiefs in two weeks in Miami for Super Bowl 54.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2020, 08:47:59 PM »

Donít think they can make an over under high enough for me not to bet the over. I like a shootout in this super bowl.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2020, 09:51:35 PM »

Amazing! Love my Niners.  4-12 last year because of Jimmy G getting hurt.  May have been a blessing as it got them Bosa in the draft.  GB had no answer for the 49er running game.  Credit to Jimmy G who has no ego and is content with not throwing a pass for nearly 2 hours.  Then when he did it was a 19 yard completion to Kittle. 

Itís nice to finally see them win a NFC Championship at home as they had lost the last 2 there and even before that they lost the 2 previous ones there. 

Bring on the Joe Montana Bowl.  Really the Niners and Chiefs have kind of been like the Steelers and Cardinals over the years.

KC run defense will be tested just like Niners pass defense will.  Either a 50 year or 25 year Super Bowl drought will end for someone.

Iím going to love the next 2 weeks and then take our chances.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2020, 08:19:10 AM »

Glad you're loving this KR!

I also will be pulling the Niners as for the reason I stated before but either way I am just hoping for a competitive Super Bowl and not a blow out either way
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8