PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Christmas & New Years  (Read 60 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
Christmas & New Years
« on: December 04, 2019, 02:08:12 PM »

Christmas Day and New Years Day on a Wednesday is fantastic.  You get the weekend before Xmas to visit/party, then Xmas Eve/Day, then the weekend after, then New Years Eve/Day, and then that weekend after.  NFL games, Bowl games and college basketball games galore on TV. 

Christmas Eve for us is still the Fishes meal.  The cod fish and smelts are deep fried.  Spaghetti topped with seafood sauce.  Then of course the homemade cookies - pizzelles are my favorite, and my mom has been making some with vanilla the past few years instead of the regular anise.  Always a tray of chocolates and jelly/gummy candies (red my fav, I always pick them out and leave the green behind).  Bowls of mixed nuts and figs and dates are tradition too.

Christmas Day dinner is a spiral ham with any cheese stuffed pasta (ravioli, shells, manicotti).  Cranberry sauce/jello.  Green bean casserole.  Lots of cookies, chocolates, wine.

New Years Eve my wife and I are going to make a baby spiral ham and some scalloped cheesy potatoes early, 4 or so. We like watching the bowl games, and also all the clocks strikes midnight on TV all night somewhere different every hour as midnight nears to us.  Then we're gonna make some apps like cheese sticks, etc... around 11 or after to watch the Ball drop in NYC. 

New Years Day is kraut, pork tenderloins, kielbasa, hot dogs and mashed potatoes all day while watching more Bowl Games. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:13:40 PM by Nicky »
"there is a light that never goes out"

coach99

• Hall of Fame
Re: Christmas & New Years
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »

Some parts of family will come over Christmas Eve and the others on Christmas Day. Probably have a ham on the eve and the rest of it on the Day.  Probably put a turkey breast in oven on the Day to add to the left over ham. Not having any specific times, will just have it available buffet style.  Have some cheeses and tomato and lettuce and a variety of rolls to make sandwiches with the ham. Probably have some kind of chicken wings or tenders for the non ham eaters.  Probably some potato salad and cole slaw, too.
NYE probably hot dogs and kielbassa and maybe some mac and cheese. On New Years Day will have a pork roast of some type cooked in Kraut..maybe some dogs in there, too. Mashed potatoes and green beans/beets.
Of course, will have big Pretzel or two. Gotta get one from a bakery..seems they are usually kinds of stale or dried out from a super market

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 08:53:44 AM »

Christmas cookies throughout the upcoming weeks!

Xmas Eve hot sausage and snacks (jalapeno poppers, cheese sticks, chicken wings, veggie and cheese trays, chips and dip, cocktail shrimp, etc).

Xmas morning cinnamon coffee, cheese pockets (a sugar and cream cheese baked into a puffed pastry covered with powdered sugar concoction that my mother-in-law makes), goetta (a Cincinnati concoction kind of sausage like but made with grains and pork) and scrambled eggs. We munch on breakfast and drink coffee while opening presents. One at a time so it takes a while!

Spiked eggnog throughout the day.

For dinner ham (spiral sliced preferably Honeybaked if I provide,  just regular store bought boneless if they provide), deviled eggs, macaroni or potato salad, and some basic sides like salad and green beans. We always have bread and mayo/Miracle Whip in case people just want to make ham sandwiches. Wine and beer with dinner.

A few notes:
-deviled eggs I come from a Hellmann's mayonnaise only family while my wife comes from a Miracle Whip only family lol. I will say that when it comes to deviled eggs they always use Miracle Whip but even if I'm hosting I am a crowd pleaser and will make to appeal to said family. I like both just prefer mayo.
-macaroni/potato salad I only make it with mayonnaise and my in laws actually like it. I make a batch with onions and one without  (my father-in-law and brother-in-law don't like onions and if the kids try it probably onionless batch is probably better) while my mother-in-law insists on the batch with onions (because she sees them as a treat in a household where the majority does not like onions)
-we use rum as our alcohol of choice with the eggnog

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »

New Year's not as big of a deal.

With the kids being so young and us always so tired we never stay up for the ball drop. Even in my college years my friends and I rather than going out would stay in and play classic video games (i.e. we would do a Tecmo Superbowl tournament then play other old NES games back when emulators were new).

With that said I try to have champaign and whiskey on hand as well as some snacks that evening including shrimp cocktail and veggie tray and maybe frozen pizza and sometimes homemade meatballs (I usually work that day so not much food prep time to boot).

New Year's Day either a pork roast or sometimes a ham (I splurge on the Honeybaked that day if denied it's goodness on Xmas). Lots of college football as well!

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »

I will add that food, family, football, and decorating are my favorite parts of this holiday.

Gift exchanging is my least favorite followed closely by gift wrapping. Both are just torture.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »

good call on Christmas cookies!

I'm not big on cakes, pastries, pumpkin/pecan pies ice cream or fancy desserts.  But give me trays of homemade cookies, boxes of assorted holiday chocolates and bowls of mixed nuts - and I'm not leaving the table for an hour or longer. 
"there is a light that never goes out"