PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Tamaqua's Dream Season Ends  (Read 176 times)

EagleCane

• Jr. Varsity
Tamaqua's Dream Season Ends
« on: November 29, 2019, 10:34:58 PM »

Wyoming soundly defeated Tamaqua tonight in the Eastern Final 21-0. To this point Tamaqua had 2 losses of which they were outscored 17(Pottsville) and 9 points(North Schuylkill which they avenged in the District Championship). This season they had some firsts for the school. First District 11 playoff win. First District 11 Championship. First PIAA playoff win and finally first PIAA Eastern Final appearance. I was surprised when I found out about the first district win and championship, but without checking I would think they have had some Eastern Conference wins in the long past. I'm not generally a Tamaqua fan but was happy for their success this year. 

hitman66

• All State
Re: Tamaqua's Dream Season Ends
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 12:20:29 AM »

Wyoming soundly defeated Tamaqua tonight in the Eastern Final 21-0. To this point Tamaqua had 2 losses of which they were outscored 17(Pottsville) and 9 points(North Schuylkill which they avenged in the District Championship). This season they had some firsts for the school. First District 11 playoff win. First District 11 Championship. First PIAA playoff win and finally first PIAA Eastern Final appearance. I was surprised when I found out about the first district win and championship, but without checking I would think they have had some Eastern Conference wins in the long past. I'm not generally a Tamaqua fan but was happy for their success this year.

I don't have all their data right in front of me, but I know Tamaqua had an undefeated team back in 1927.  I also know of a Tamaqua team that won Eastern Conference in 1962.  That Blue Raider team had big George Barron in the backfield (I think first-team all-state).  He went on to play at Mississippi State (DE maybe?).  That team probably has a mythical state championship claim, but I think they had a regular season tie.  Beat Blakely 14-0 in the EC final, though, which was a big deal back then. 

Last year Tamaqua finished at #10 on the power rankings list for 3A, and I think they'll probably finish in the top 7 this time.  I suspect the subjective media rankings might have them as high as top 5.

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »

They made a great run at it. No complaints about that.
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 11:30:53 AM »

Hitman, that regular season tie was a 0-0 game against rival Mahanoy Area.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »

Anyone have  information on Jack Young's record as HC at Tamaqua?  I believe he was there in the 70's and 80's. I got to know him from the PSFCA meetings when he was a representative and later President for a year. He was a really good guy.

hitman66

• All State
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 06:16:55 AM »

Anyone have  information on Jack Young's record as HC at Tamaqua?  I believe he was there in the 70's and 80's. I got to know him from the PSFCA meetings when he was a representative and later President for a year. He was a really good guy.

Coach99, 

Jack Young coached at TOWANDA HS, which is up in the Northern Tier (D4).  Tamaqua HS (D11) is in the Anthracite Coal Region.

hitman66

• All State
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 06:22:15 AM »

Hitman, that regular season tie was a 0-0 game against rival Mahanoy Area.

Thanks, DR.  I have that Saylor data somewhere, but am still looking for a bunch of other Saylor stuff.  Was going to see if you and Steam could point me in the right direction.  I have most of the general overall numbers, but was looking for Saylor data which separates the classes.  I actually DON'T have hard copies of his out-of-print books.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »

Hitman, Doc Saylors entire collection is in the Penn State Library.  There's over 6700 files.  It takes some searching but, you can usually find what you need.  A lot of the files are in Excel format.

https://digital.libraries.psu.edu/digital/collection/saylor/search

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 11:12:55 AM »

Man...had Tamaqua instead of Towanda and Wyomissing instead of Wyalusing.  At least I was close.  Thanks for straightening me out again  :)

hitman66

• All State
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:16:43 PM »

Hitman, Doc Saylors entire collection is in the Penn State Library.  There's over 6700 files.  It takes some searching but, you can usually find what you need.  A lot of the files are in Excel format.

https://digital.libraries.psu.edu/digital/collection/saylor/search

Thanks, DR, but I am familiar with that and have referenced it for years.  What I'm looking for is specific info that ranks the teams according to enrollment classes. 

For example, in 1980 he ranked CB West #1 (4A), Thomas Jefferson #1 (3A), Seton-LaSalle #1 (2A) and Milton Hershey #1 (1A).  I pulled that info from an old newspaper, and have sporadic info for other years (mostly from old newspapers).  Another example is Hershey HS #1 in 2A (middle-class) for 1979.

I guess I was wondering if you guys have ever seen that info charted by year in any books or resource materials.

You guys might remember that awhile back there was a project with about 20 people trying to come up with all the mythical state champs from 1886-1987.  I was a part of that (you guys might've been part of it, too?), but interest waned because of the degree of difficulty in finding things  (especially enrollment data).  Anyway, a few people are interested in giving it another try. 

hitman66

• All State
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »

Man...had Tamaqua instead of Towanda and Wyomissing instead of Wyalusing.  At least I was close.  Thanks for straightening me out again  :)

No prob, Coach99.  Easy to mix up!