PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pirates Off Season 2019-20  (Read 351 times)

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
Re: Pirates Off Season 2019-20
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »

I think fans will be pleasantly surprised with a GM who develops top end talent. Things arenít hopeless when you develop real impact talent. Neil Huntington never did.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »

Cherrington makes his first meaningful decision today be non tendering Eliís Diaz.

According to fangraphs 48 catchers had 200 or more plate appearances in 2019. The rankings are as follows.

Offense
Stallings 24/48
Diaz 43/48

Defense
Stallings 11/48
Diaz 47/48

Overall
Stallings 21/48
Diaz 47/48

WAR
Stallings 1.3
Diaz -1.5

Looks like a pretty straightforward decision based on advanced statistics that all teams are using.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 09:29:06 PM »

Cherrington pulled a coup today by hiring his draft guru away from Toronto. Maybe he can help the Pirates acquire meaningful impact talent through the draft. Thatís where theyíve truly failed this decade. Toronto has a top farm system currently due to his work the past 3 drafts.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 10:18:45 PM »

Cherrington pulled a coup today by hiring his draft guru away from Toronto. Maybe he can help the Pirates acquire meaningful impact talent through the draft. Thatís where theyíve truly failed this decade. Toronto has a top farm system currently due to his work the past 3 drafts.

Young guy also. Pretty well established at only 31 years old

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 08:01:41 AM »

The new assistant general manager Steve Sanders spent 3 years in Toronto as the top amateur scout. The Blue Jays farm system improved from 24th to 6th in the baseball America ratings due to his three drafts.

Falcons01

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »

Just some random thoughts:

I think everyone agrees that things are going to be an uphill climb as long as Nutting is around but we are stuck with him so....

I kind of favored Matt Arnold from Milwaukee to be the GM but that doesnt mean in any way I am not pleased with the hire of Cherington.  He missed on some high priced free agents but as noted, he has drafted and developed well.

I love his pick of Sanders as his top assistant.  He's young and accomplished already and has been with Cherington for quite a while. Ive read he is an up and comer and future GM.  Those same things have been said of Kevan Graves so it is nice to see that he was retained.

Kyle Stark fired...good riddance.

I really really really liked everything about Derek Shelton.  I cant wait to see that staff he puts together.  Eckstein staying is huge.  He may even get promoted to bench coach.  If he wants a vet to help him along, maybe John Farrell?  He could even be the pitching coach.  Joel Hanrahan has been a great coach in the minors and it would be a shame if he wasnt promoted to at least bullpen coach.

The move for Diaz was puzzling.  I understand he really had an awful year last year but two years ago he was the "future."  That was under the old staff so I get it.  I just dont like that you left yourself with only Stallings.  We must sign or trade for someone cause we cant go into next year with Christian Kelley or Arden Pabst as other backup.

Marte is on the market.  As I talked with Kidraven a lot, I was strongly against moving him.  He however has expressed that he doesnt really want to be here so maybe it is best to move on if you can get a nice haul. The CF FA market is super weak and he has two years of control.  Someone should overpay for him.  Huntington did pull a couple nice trades off but overall he failed.  I do have more faith in Cherington so we will see.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 05:56:37 PM »

Don Kelly, Pittsburgh area native, brother-in-law of Neil Walker and protege' of Jim Leyland, hired by Shelton as bench coach. Eckstein retained as hitting coach, Cora as 3rd base coach and the assistant pitching coach also kept on.

emm8

• All State
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »

Don Kelly, Pittsburgh area native, brother-in-law of Neil Walker and protege' of Jim Leyland, hired by Shelton as bench coach.

That probably came up in the phone call from Leyland to Shelton as well, but didn't get mentioned in the newspaper article in the Trib about the call.   :o   ;)

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 12:48:04 AM »

Cole is now a New York Yankee: 9 years for 326 million.  That is 36 million per year.  New record deal in MLB.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1790-601 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 48 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »

Good for Cole (and Boras gets a nice chunk of change, too), but do the Yankees really think Cole's going to be effective until he's 39?

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »

Good for Cole (and Boras gets a nice chunk of change, too), but do the Yankees really think Cole's going to be effective until he's 39?

Agreed completely.  Good for him.

I saw someone do the quick math however.

In 2017 for Pittsburgh he made approximately $163/pitch (base salary only, not including bonuses). In 2020 if he pitches all 36 projected starts and throws 100 pitches/game that would be $10000/pitch. Just no way that a team like the Pirates can compete with that.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »

Just another reason why I don't give any time or money in any way to these 'businesses'. No one is worth that kind of meny, unless they find a cure for Cancer.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 02:37:54 PM »

Cole is now a New York Yankee: 9 years for 326 million.  That is 36 million per year.  New record deal in MLB.

And this was right after the Nationals gave Strasburg a record deal

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: Today at 12:18:02 AM »

Rendon got a similar deal with LA Angels, 7 yrs, 300M+. His and Cole's contracts work out to aroun 4k/hr. To put that in perspective, they make more during 8 hrs of shut eye than someone working full time making $14/hr does in a year.

Gene Collier was on with Pompeani on the NSC. They did some quick calculations on Boras' cut of 800+M he got for just 3 clients at 40+M (5% agent fee).
Pages: 1 [2]