PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: 2019 Pirates Part 3  (Read 7022 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2019 Pirates Part 3
« Reply #345 on: October 25, 2019, 03:13:26 PM »

Check this out....

Some of you know that I won the Pirates Charities 50/50 at a game late in the season.
So, I go to the offices, verify the ticket, get pictures taken with big cardboard check, yada yada yada....
They tell me that they'll take out 25% Federal Withholding Tax and send a W2G form to me & IRS for tax purposes.
Then, they tell me that the real check will come to me in 4-6 weeks.

Yesterday, I get an envelope from Pirates Charities in the mail.
It includes a very nice letter from Patty Paydos (who I've known for years) and my check (minus the 25%).

And, then, there's that moment when I busted out laughing at the signature on the check:  Frank Coonelly.....

Apparently, one of his final official acts as Pirates President!

Congrats on winning the 50/50. I play that every time I go to a Pens game and I know they can get pretty big. You are the first person I have ever heard of winning one. I always thought that taking 25% out off the top and also getting taxed again when you do your taxes is like a form of double dipping and getting taxed more than once on your winnings. Same as when you hit big on the lottery. 

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #346 on: October 25, 2019, 03:45:43 PM »

HS, it was a nice payout (which I didn't even discover I'd won until four days later when I was cleaning out my pocket...).

You don't get double taxed.

They take 25% and send it to the IRS.
Then, when you file your taxes, you list the total winning, and you list the 25% that you paid.
It's only taxed once (by the feds).  Then, you have to pay the state too (whatever that is 3-4%).

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #347 on: October 25, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »

I guess what I'm trying to say is the payout gets added to your total income and if it pushes you into another tax bracket you would have to pay more taxes. I personally would rather have the option of keeping the 25% and invest it or put in a savings account and make a couple bucks off of it

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #348 on: October 28, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »

According to reports an announcement is coming later today that Huntington is going to be fired. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1808-603 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 49 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #349 on: October 28, 2019, 10:22:28 AM »

PIRATES RELIEVE GENERAL MANAGER NEAL HUNTINGTON OF HIS DUTIES

The Pittsburgh Pirates today announced that Executive Vice President and General Manager, Neal Huntington, has been relieved of his duties. Kevin Graves, current Pirates Assistant General Manager, will serve as Interim General Manager during the transition period.

Statement from Bob Nutting, Pirates Chairman of the Board:
“I greatly appreciate Neal’s dedication to the Pirates organization and our city over the past 12 seasons. His time with the Pirates should always be remembered for ending a long stretch of futility and bringing Postseason baseball back to Pittsburgh. This past season was by far the most frustrating and challenging season that I have experienced as owner. It became clear to me as the season progressed that significant change was necessary in order to refresh our entire operations. The decisions that have been made over the past month were not easy and have been the result of a systematic and thorough review, and further reinforced through multiple conversations with people that I trust and respect throughout baseball. It was critical that we have our new team president in place to conduct the search for the next leader of our baseball operations department. With the naming of Travis Williams to the position of president today, we will immediately begin the search process. I am confident that we will find the right person. While we will pause the managerial search process for the time being, we are appreciative of the work that has been done thus far and confident in the candidates available to us. The hiring of a new general manager will only help clarify the situation further for those candidates.”

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #350 on: October 28, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »

TRAVIS WILLIAMS NAMED PRESIDENT OF THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES

The Pittsburgh Pirates today announced that Travis Williams has been named President of the organization. Williams, who will officially begin his duties on November 1, will oversee the day-to-day operations of the organization. Williams brings with him more than a decade of sports executive leadership experience in Pittsburgh, having spent 11 years as an integral part of the Pittsburgh Penguins’ executive team. While with the Penguins, Williams served as the Chief Operating Officer, overseeing the day-to-day business and arena operations.

“Travis’ leadership abilities, experience and passion for Pittsburgh sports makes him the ideal choice for this position,” said Bob Nutting, Pirates Chairman of the Board. “Travis was an integral part of the Penguins leadership team over the past decade of success. He has a keen understanding of Pittsburgh and appreciates how important our fans are. He will drive a culture of success within our organization.”

Williams returns to Pittsburgh from his most recent position as the President of Business Operations for the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League, a position he held since November of 2018. During his time in New York, Williams helped the Islanders accomplish a lot in a short period of time, including the building of an entire business operations staff, doubling the season ticket base and breaking ground on a new arena.

“This is a homecoming for me, both personally and professionally. It is a tremendous opportunity to come back to a city and a team that I love. I am excited about working with Bob and the rest of the Pirates family to return this franchise to a winning tradition,” Williams said. “Today, we turn the page and start writing a new chapter in the history of the Pirates. We are committed to a refresh of our entire operations. The first step in this process is to immediately begin the search for new leadership of our baseball operations,” Williams added. “Within our business operations, we will focus on enhancing our relationships with the fans, the ballpark experience and our commitment to the Pittsburgh community.”

During his tenure with the Penguins, the team sold out over 550 home games and consistently ranked among the top NHL teams in gate receipts, sponsorship revenues, television ratings and social media statistics. In addition, Williams oversaw the development of PPG Paint Arena as well as the construction of UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex, the Penguins official practice facility in Cranberry Township, Pa.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #351 on: October 28, 2019, 01:11:13 PM »

Curiously, well, maybe not, no mention of a commitment to winning in their Nutting's or Williams' comments.

I hope the first organization Williams looks at to see how a baseball team should be run is St Louis. They aren't wild spenders either, but know how to identify and develop talent.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #352 on: October 28, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »

I think the dreaded 5 year plan should be in order. Identify how much to spend over a long period of time, not one year. Milwaukee did this when they replaced Bob Melvin. They had the lowest payroll in MLB for two years while they figured out what they had, traded their best assets and saved money to sign legitimate free agents when they improved their talent level.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2019, 06:57:58 PM »

Wholesale change could also mean firesale Astros/Orioles style and try to build in that image (the Astros for better or worse set a precedent). I'm wondering how well Pirates' fans would take to that...

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #354 on: October 28, 2019, 10:02:34 PM »

So, Nutting rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Figures the Pirate fans will now give the team another five years and maybe not totally abandon them next year. He made 3 changes, but the fact that NUTTING is still there to sign checks..or not sign more likely means SOS.  Yes, this means that he can continue to add to his personal revenue as the 'fans' give the Pirates another chance...again.  IMHO

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #355 on: October 29, 2019, 06:21:12 AM »

Fans WILL NOT give Nutting benefit of the doubt. Attendance won’t improve unless he increases payroll. I don’t know one fan who thinks that these changes are significant.

I think they’re going to increase payroll by adding a bunch of washed up vets like the Reds did last season. That WILL increase attendance.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #356 on: November 15, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »

Report the Pirates have offered the GM spot to Cherington, who last worked in Boston and won a World Series.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1808-603 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 49 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #357 on: November 15, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »

So, the Astros or is that AssHoles, did not believe that spending tons of money to buy pitchers was enough to ensure a World Series..then had to resort to some laughable sending of pitching signals by pounding on a trash can.  They are a  bunch of garbage....and should be thankful they got moved to American League.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #358 on: November 15, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »

Report the Pirates have offered the GM spot to Cherington, who last worked in Boston and won a World Series.

Of the 3 names I heard Cherington, Arnold and the guy from Carmichaels who's Houston's director of player development, Cherington is the least impressive one world championship bracketed by mutliple failures. Sounds about right up the Pirates' alley.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]