PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Conference Alignment Speculation  (Read 519 times)

Batavia

• Jr. Varsity
Re: Conference Alignment Speculation
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 11:52:51 AM »

If you look at 6A with PR going to 5A (and SF coming in), it may make sense for a good 5A team to opt to play up into 6A. The two perennial championship teams left in 6A are PCC and NA. If they leave the 6 classifications alone, it may be easier for the next two years for a top 5A team to move up, and battle two high level teams for the crown instead of the five or six in 5A.

Practically, in 5A or 6A you only need to beat two really good teams. In the semis and the finals. In 6A it would be NA and PCC. Compare those two to P-R and any other 5A team. The argument would have to be “Is any other 5A team better than NA or PCC” assuming you’ll have to play P-R as well. I think that’s a stretch. The top 4 teams in 6A beat their 5A crossover team pretty handily.

I don't see it as much of a stretch at all. The reality is that a number of the good teams in 5A can hang with the 6A good teams. They did it up until two years ago, when they were all in 4A together. From my viewpoint, based on the past couple of years, having 6A and 5A separated makes no sense. There are years, just as there have always been, where certain teams are better than others. The only thing splitting 4A up has done is guaranteed several teams now in 6A an almost yearly trip to the semis, because the teams that could hang with them when they were in 4A are now in 5A, and the bottom 5 or 6 teams in 6A cannot compete with the good teams, just like they never could in 4A. This is not to say that NA, PCC and PR are not really good teams - they are. But the teams below them in 6A have not provided much competition.

Aeronaught

• Rookie
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 06:44:28 PM »

I really like that 6A/5A proposed alignment.  5A teams would do ok.  Just this year 5A non-playoff team Woodland Hills easily defeated 6A playoff team Seneca Valley.  Other than PR, CC and NA the 6A teams are no better than the 5A.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 09:14:18 AM »

6A/5A combined for regular season.
Let the other 4 classes play in class.

That's my thought, my hope, and what I think is going to be the outcome.

Batavia

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 10:01:20 AM »

Bob - I assume that would happen sooner rather than later?

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 05:35:58 PM »

Decision won't come from WPIAL until at least January.
Pages: 1 [2]