PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: November = TURKEY!  (Read 130 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
November = TURKEY!
« on: November 02, 2019, 09:02:22 PM »

Welcome to Thanksgiving month!

Thanksgiving Day kicks off for us watching the NFL preview shows and the Macy's parade while snacking on cheeses, meats and antipasto. 

Then off to my cousins for deep fried bird with all the usual sides (sausage/apple stuffing is my fav).  Only non-traditional thing we have with dinner is smoked kielbasa.  Pumpkin, Apple, Pecan pies for dessert.  Beaujolais Nouveau wine with dinner.

Ole Miss and Miss State will play their traditional Thanksgivng evening primetime game.  Also three NFL games. 

Fri/Sat/Sun means putting out Xmas decorations, eating leftovers, and watching TONS of college football, college basketball, NFL football and hockey with friends/family.
"there is a light that never goes out"

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: November = TURKEY!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »

I unfortunately have to work day shift on thanksgiving this year but Iíll get some leftovers around 7:00 pm and will be home to watch the Saints vs Falcons thanksgiving night! My wife will do a 20 pound turkey in the oven and we also have smoked kielbasa plus the usuals - my wifeís homemade stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and desserts like pumpkin pie, apple pie and a cheesecake

Iíll be frying a turkey on the Saturday after and also ordered a turducken stuffed with apple stuffing! Yum!

We also will have our Christmas tree up on thanksgiving and put the rest of the decorations up over the weekend and the reason we have our tree up on thanksgiving is because it drives my father in law nuts! LOL!

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:38:47 PM »

My favorite holiday of the year by far!

Great food, family, and football.

With that said will keep it conservative food wise with my mother's failing health (as in nothing new or adventerous and keeping it easy to prep clean up etc). My parents originally wanted simply to have it catered but my sister and I talked them out of it the two of us will cook and keep it simple (Thanksgiving dinner honestly is a relatively cheap meal to cook and I've done it before anyways).

20lb Butterball turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce (just the canned jellied stuff), green beans, and rolls. Apple and pumpkin pies for dessert. And wines mostly red wines with the food.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:41:57 PM by yannessa_is_god »

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 10:42:58 PM »

Aside from food we generally have the NFL games on and play board games/card games/etc (we've done everything from Cards Against Humanity to Clue lol).

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 10:57:27 PM »

The part I enjoy most is late in evening..picking on turkey with a mouthful of cole slaw and bites of cranberry sauce and the cold stuffing :)
I love cooking a turkey..making the stuffing (haven't poisoned anyone yet in all these years0 in the bird.  We don't really get a big bird any more..maybe a 10-14 lb "free' one from Shop  n Save :)
We don't really have a big family meal with all the relatives like we used to do at my Mother in Laws.  Big family would all gather at a huge old dinning table in her large old house in the city. Was a fun day with the brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins. Would have the old pocket doors open between the parlor and dinning room to make room for us all. After my wife's mom and dad passed away, we all sort of moved on to do our own things as all the kids got older.  So, today the various family members pretty much do their own thing.
Our kids usually will pop in after visiting their in laws, so it is more like a buffet than sit down.
The part I 'hate' is cleaning up.  Just so many pots, pans, roasters, plates etc with this meal and I really don't like the kitchen a  mess so i get at the scrubbing.  Like I said...the best part is after every thing is done..later that night just noshing in the kitchen with my wife. :)
Have a Happy Thanksgiving Day to all.  I am thankful for this board keeping involved in the sports scene.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 11:07:55 PM »

Since the actual dinner is not at my house, we only really bring a bit of leftovers home on Thanksgiving Day.  And I usually finish them off at night when we get home while watching Ole Miss and Miss State.

So on Saturday, my wife and I have been cooking a boneless turkey breast while watching all those college games and decorating.  House smells like Thanksgiving and we make a few small sides to go with it. 

The turkey breast is an easy to cook, no frills solution to not wanting to piss around prepping a whole bird!
"there is a light that never goes out"

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »

Yes, on those times we were going to eat dinner elsewhere, I always made our own turkey to have left overs'.   

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »

Get yourself out to Dís Six Packs and Dogs on South Braddock Ave in Regent Sq. They have a Franksgiving Turkey hot dog topped with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy all month. Also comes with a side of cranberry sauce.

yepper

• All State
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 09:08:59 PM »

best holiday of the year.

no presents to wrap and no cards to send! Eat, watch football and nap!

by the way, it's filling here, not stuffing. Leftover filling has a shelf life of 3 hours tops.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »

Yes, on those times we were going to eat dinner elsewhere, I always made our own turkey to have left overs'.

Same here. Maybe not that day but around those whereabouts I will do the same thing. We either get a free turkey from work some years, and if not frozen turkeys are so cheap that I like to get one or two just to stick in the freezer. Usually do another one near/after Thanksgiving for exactly what you're talking about. And then I usually do another one during one of the NFL playoff weekends just to have something to eat and snack on during those cold January weekends.

I actually stock up on all of the "Thanksgiving foods" in the week leading up to Thanksgiving because they are all cheap. Frozen turkeys, cranberry sauce, Stovetop stuffing, and gravy. As I said above it is actually a really cheap meal to make all things considered (as opposed to steak or Prime Rib or a Honeybaked Ham etc).

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »

yeah, you need to take out a loan to buy a Honey Baked Spiral Cut ham.  :)

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 10:32:19 AM »

Also we buy pounds and pounds of yams. My kids LOVE yams.

We buy them at $0.39/pound or less often in the upcoming weeks, bake them, then freeze them, then microwave them as sides throughout the upcoming months.

emm8

• All State
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »

Funny...not a single reference to mac & cheese?  I don't ever recall having it at any gatherings growing up on Thanksgiving either, but I'm sure we may have had it when my kids were small (mainly just for them)...and quite particular about what they were willing to ingest.  When the PG Fab 22 comes out it'll be close to unanimous.  Our dinner pretty much consists of much the same that you've all posted about previously. 

We've morphed into traveling to my brother-in-laws for a spread around 1:00 pm and are usually home by 5:00 or 6:00.  There's some small amount of leftovers, but usually not much.  That doesn't usually sit well with me later in the evening (10:00 - ??:??).  I may miss that part the most.  Fortunately, the situation reverses on Christmas.  Our two families are small and about 45 minutes apart.  Of course, most of the rest of my family (my side) is in the Pgh. area, and although they still get together, the gatherings are half the size they were when I was growing up.  I've always regretted that my kids weren't able to get that big family feel that I enjoyed growing up (4 families w/kids, and the occasional family friend(s) popping in for an hour or so).  I could probably make a fuss, and insist on going to Pgh. for a holiday here and there, but the family dynamic is usually pretty glacial with regard to change. 

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 07:45:21 PM »

I will bet that when you read the interviews of players selected to Fab 22 or whatever is released around Thanksgiving and Mike White asks the players what their fav food for the meal is...a number of them, mostly the African-American players will comment on 'thier grandmothers mac and cheese' or some such thing. I believe we did discuss this in an old board thread, how that seemed to be something that was served in the Black homes.  I love Mac adn Cheese and would love to taste some of those grandma's dishes. I try mac and cheese when i see it on menus, but I usually wind up disappointed, but I keep looking for a great Mac and Cheese dinner. I make a pretty good version and use stewed tomatoes to top it.  One of the best I have ever tasted, believe it or not, was in the high school cafeteria that the one cook would make a few times a year.  Any suggestions where I might be able to find a great Mac and Cheese dinner?

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »

I was going to ask the same thing...I have never had a "wow I'm impressed" homemade mac and cheese. I would prefer Kraft from a box over almost any that I've had. I WANT to be impressed!

Ironically either last year or the year before my mom or sister tried making it as a Thanksgiving side (maybe to do something different, maybe to appeal to my kids who love Kraft mac and cheese for example, who knows) but it was unequivocally my least favorite part of the meal.