PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: 2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball  (Read 2390 times)

bftigers

• All State
Re: 2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »

Not being in school is why they scored 35 points in 32 minutes?  Come on bfgrad, you're smarter than that.  Jeter had zero clue how to handle Quip's pressure and made ZERO adjustments during a HORRIBLE first half.  15 points in the first 16 minutes is all you need to know.

Here's the scary part about tonight...Quip played WITHOUT their starting backcourt.  Yet they kicked our ass from the second quarter until the finish.  It was as embarrassing of a performance BF has had in a long time given that they are supposed to be one of the top teams in AAA.

Jeter runs zero sets on offense and has no concept how to attack certain defenses.  It's just streetball, plain and simple. 

BF is heading the wrong way this season.  It started in the Ellwood game two weeks ago when Jeter was subbing like he was getting paid per substitute.  It was maddening to watch starters sit the entire second quarter.  Jeter called a timeout up 30-9 and put the JV team in.  He did it again this past Tuesday vs Riverside up 34-13 in the second quarter and eventually our lead was cut to 6 points.  I just don't get it at all.  Never have I seen substitution patterns like Jeter has done.  This time of year you want to shorten your bench,  go 7-8 deep and start to hit your stride for playoff time.  Instead of that, Jeter is playing 11 or 12 kids, 4 or 5 who have no business playing in a varsity game.  It's bewildering.  We have no ebb and flow on offense and tonight cemented that reality.  But when I see our coach in the hallway talking with a disgruntled parent minutes after the Ellwood game, it tells me all I need to know.

And speaking of that parent, his son started tonight over our best power forward.  What makes it worst is Jeter had our best power forward START A JV GAME.  Who starts one of their best varsity players in a JV game this late in the season?  I've simply never seen anything like what is going on right now with BF basketball.

BF has been hurt by the injury to Franchi.  He is their best defensive player.  Nevertheless, there's no reason to lose 3 of their last 4 with a 4th qtr collapse at Neshannock, blowing a 7 point lead, and tonight's excrement sandwich at Quip.  We beat Neshannock by 19 and Quip by 21 the first time around but fell flat on our faces in the rematches.

Hard to see Jeter leading this team past the second round after what I have witnessed the last two weeks.  The man is coaching like it is summer league games.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:17:59 AM by bftigers »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2020, 08:12:18 PM »

Not a bad draw at 6 for BF at all.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »

Bfgrad, I could not agree more.  Very favorable draw for losing 3 of their last 4.

Southmoreland is 11-11.  Already spoke to a few people and they said BF should roll.  We will see.

Need to get Franchi back healthy for that second round game with South Allegheny.  50/50 chance I was told.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2020, 10:16:51 PM »

Tigers beat S'moreland 70-59 althought BF was up by 20 starting the 4th qtr. Jeter put his JVs in for the final 2 minutes while S'moreland kept their starters in, making the final a bit closer than the game was.

Overall BF played well. They moved the ball pretty crisply and didn't take many bad shots. Hauser and Vaughan both had strong games on the boards. Hauser is getting good at put backs and Vaughan led BF in scoring with 23. Freshman PG Isiah Sharp had a terrific game, very controlled and confident. He had some really nice assists that showed how high his basketball IQ is. Conley was steady as he has been for the better part of the season.

I don't think it was BF's best defensive showing as they allowed SM's best player to score 33 pts, more than half his team's points. Of course, they are missing Franchi and Livingston is playing through a toe issue. They'll need to tighten their defense up as they move along in the playoffs.

SM shot a ton of FTs, 24 of 30. In fact, their high scorer made 1 more FT than the team had total baskets.

From what I was told, there is some confusion about exactly what kind of knee injury Franchi has, but it doesn't appear that he'll be able to play vs SA and maybe not for another couple of weeks at best.

Trib recap: https://tribhssn.triblive.com/beaver-falls-powers-past-southmoreland-in-boys-opening-round-matchup/

Times recap: https://www.timesonline.com/sports/20200214/noah-vaughanrsquos-inside-game-powers-beaver-falls-to-victory

Stayed to watch the 1st qtr of S Allegheny vs Avonworth. SA has a tall skinny kid at center, similar to Riverside's center, but not as strong. They appeared to have more athletic talent than Avonworth, but Avonworth was handing with them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:11:36 AM by bfgrad »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2020, 06:23:37 AM »

Bfgrad, I watched the game on my phone thanks to the Trib website and that was a sloppy first quarter by BF.  They looked lethargic. Their play in the second improved but the final 2 minutes of the first half were undisciplined. Their inability to hold for the last shot astounds me.  It's basketball 101 when you are up by 10 or 11.

I definitely agree with you about Vaughan, Hauser and the freshman Sharp.  Conley played an outstanding game on both ends as well.  Franchi's injury hurts them because it forces Jeter to play someone more than he deserves.  I'm not saying names but you know who I'm talking about.  Nevertheless, Jeter is still playing way too many kids and continues to coach like it's summer league games. I keep saying it should be a set 7 man rotation but Jeter plays 9-10 kids and there's no rhyme or reason with his substitution patterns.  Even Jeter admits all this in his postgame interview he did with Don Rebel.  It's in bfgrad's previous post in the Trib link. That's why they struggle to get into any rhythm on offense.  Me and many others, including former coaches, just don't get it.  PLAY YOUR BEST 7 OR 8 AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT A JV KID GETTING PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE...IT'S ABSURD.  His interview says it all.

I watched the South Allegheny/Avonworth game.  I was not impressed at all.  Avonworth blew that game missing 5 FTs in the 3rd quarter and open looks in the 4th.  And for whatever reason, they fouled SA with 20 seconds left in a tie game 25 feet away from the cup that led to the game winning FTs.  They also broke SA's press with ease by putting someone in the middle and going baseline to baseline.  Fortunately for SA, Avonworth only had one true athlete on the floor.  The others were stocky football players and lanky bodies.  But they were very well coached. 

SA decided to play stall ball with the game tied at 40 with 4 minutes left.  Let that sink in...a 21-1 team stopped playing against an 11-11 team.  It's only one game but based off what I saw, SA would struggle to make the playoffs in our section. 

So what's this all mean? Nothing if Jeter continues to do what he's doing.  SA has two players...Faulkner inside and Antonio Epps at guard.  The younger Epps, who is a freshman, can handle it well and is a nice point guard.  But that's all they have.  Conley should guard the older Epps, Sharp on the younger Epps and body Faulkner up with Vaughan and Hauser.  I was done with that scouting report in the first 5 minutes of their game.

BF should win.  They have the better players and team.  However, I just don't trust Jeter.  He's going to play kids and give them huge minutes when they should not be playing or others who should just come in for a couple minutes at most.  Will he shorten his bench and play to win or worry about getting young kids playoff experience and play too many kids?  It's become sad I even have to ask that question this time of year.

We will see on Thursday night.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:25:38 AM by bftigers »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »

I just finished watching the game again and I am not quite sure how anyone would think we played well overall.  Even Don Rebel observed during the telecast how "lax" we were in the 3rd quarter and the color guy said it looked like a JV game late in the 1st.  We would have a spurt here and there, but overall we were sloppy.  10 second violation bringing the ball up despite only token pressure, throwing the ball away at times against no pressure and lazy defense.  Our positioning is awful where instead of face guarding the dribbler, we are sideways and they go right past us...makes zero sense.

The end of quarter sequences are just as bad.  We had 4 possessions in the final minute of the first quarter but Southmoreland had a few as well.  In the second quarter, we rushed a shot with 30 seconds left in the half.  That allowed Southmoreland to cut it to 7 at half.  No coaching there at all in those two examples.  Hold for the last shot and eliminate any extra possessions for the opponent.

He started Shaliek, played a few minutes, then sat the rest of the half.  Then he starts the second half, only to get pulled 1 minute later.  It makes no sense.  He also subbed for another starter at the same time.  Why are you subbing 60 seconds into a quarter?  No wonder we can't sustain any offensive flow.

Their best stretches were when Vaughan and Hauser was doing damage down low in the second half.  That has to continue against South Allegheny and 6 ft 5 Faulkner.

Nevertheless, the coaching strategy has to improve and they have to play much better on both ends of the floor to beat South Allegheny.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:57:18 AM by bftigers »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2020, 01:33:39 PM »

Shileak picked up 2 early PFs, that's why he was on the bench for most of the 1st half. They did make a few mistakes like the timeline violation and not catching passes, but overall, they did a good job moving the ball around looking for shots and they dominated the boards. The game got close a couple times, but the outcome was never really in doubt.

Refs were calling a ton of fouls on BF which is why there were a lot of players in and out.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2020, 11:51:00 AM »

Tough loss to SA on a shot thrown up at the buzzer and very similar to the way BF lost to Indiana in the WPIAL finals a few years ago. It was a nip and tuck game most of the way. Tigers were within a point late in the 1st qtr when just a terrible sequence resulted in 6 straight SA points including a turnover right after an inbounds allowing SA to score with just a second or two left in the qtr to go up 18-11.

Still, Tigers were up 7 with under 3 minutes to play when they went into a pretty deliberate offense moving the ball around the perimeter looking to either drive to the hoop or shoot. SA did a good job taking away the lane though and got a turnover and missed shot to score to tie before Hauser put BF back up by 2 before SA tied the game at 58. BF had the ball for last shot, but their freshman PG fumbled the ball losing it out of bounds with 15 secs left setting up the game winning sequence. Unfortunately for BF, the missed 3 just resulted in one of those long rebounds, right place, right time for SA. Despite the loss, Noah Vaughan played a spectacular game, scored nearly half BF's points on 7 3s. Really he single-handedly kept BF in the game when SA looked ready to go on a run or pull away.

I think losing Franchi and Livingston not at 100% due to a foot problem hurt BF as much as anything. It left them really short at G and forced Conley to have to be the main ball-handler and also to guard the other team's best player. At lot to ask of a kid. Sharp did a good job defensively on his freshman counterpart, but his mistakes hurt.

We shall see what the semis and finals bring as far as pulling BF into the PIAAs. SA has won two games they probably should have lost so I expect their clock is about to strike midnight, but you never know.

If this is a wrap for the season, it was lots of fun. The kids played hard every game and had some good wins along the way. Best of luck to the 4 seniors, Noah Vaughan, Darius Nesmith, Razir Jones and Colton Novak in the next phase of their lives.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2020, 03:51:07 AM »

Thanks to North Catholics's win over LP, BF gets pulled into the PIAA's at D7-7 meaning a road trip to D10. The one good thing about the long layoff is that it's been a month since Franchi was hurt vs LP. Based on the recovery time I've heard, he could well be ready to play next Saturday. If so, that should be a big boost as the team as they missed his defensive ability and contributions, that were getting better, on offense.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2020, 07:09:16 AM »

alright! Tigers live to fight another day. Happy for Noah and other seniors to get at least 1 more game. Probably going to draw a good team though

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »

Beaver Falls will play the District 10 champion, Sharon or Fairview, somewhere in District 10.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2020, 09:03:01 AM »

Thanks to North Catholics's win over LP, BF gets pulled into the PIAA's at D7-7 meaning a road trip to D10. The one good thing about the long layoff is that it's been a month since Franchi was hurt vs LP. Based on the recovery time I've heard, he could well be ready to play next Saturday. If so, that should be a big boost as the team as they missed his defensive ability and contributions, that were getting better, on offense.

Carbone told me before the South Allegheny game that there was a good chance Franchi could play in the semis if we beat them.  That was on February 20 so I would imagine that a couple more weeks of healing and therapy would make him more than likely to play next Saturday.

That certainly would be a huge boost for our team.  And give Shaliek a couple weeks of healing with his toe.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2020, 04:08:12 PM »

wonder where we would play Sharon? Can Sharon host Fairview vs BF or would they be not eligible because they are in the playoffs? I wouldn't mind driving to Sharon, feels like home. Good memories there, we won West Final there not too long ago. Place is a sweatbox when it's packed though.

What was that players name from West Middlesex? Kid was pretty good. We beat them twice that year and they didn't have many losses. Dugan?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:16:55 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »

Sharon won D10 last year and played Washington at Farrell.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2020, 08:04:27 PM »

wonder where we would play Sharon? Can Sharon host Fairview vs BF or would they be not eligible because they are in the playoffs? I wouldn't mind driving to Sharon, feels like home. Good memories there, we won West Final there not too long ago. Place is a sweatbox when it's packed though.

What was that players name from West Middlesex? Kid was pretty good. We beat them twice that year and they didn't have many losses. Dugan?

Matt Dogan...went to Gannon.  That kid was good but we bottled him up.  I remember that game at Sharon.  Great game for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7