PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball  (Read 636 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball
« on: November 02, 2019, 08:50:13 AM »

Now that football season is over for BF, time for hoops.

After a couple of down years, BF basketball is on the rebound. The promising crop of freshmen and sophs are now juniors and seniors with a couple of years of playoff experience. The Tigers return good height at F/C, but lost all their Gs to graduation. I watched the kids in summer and fall league. They'll be a good defensive team and I believe will go about 10 deep meaning they can tire other teams out. They should be strong on the boards with Vaughan, Cleckley, Hauser, Glass, Dmitry Nesmith and Darius Nesmith, assuming he plays. Conley will probably be the main ball-handler to start the season, but freshman PG Isiah Sharp should get significant time there as well.

Tigers will get a test right away playing in the Midland Tip-Off tournament, then a home game vs New Castle. Even so, BF seems primed for a good year and playoff run.

Here is my best guess at the roster
Noah Vaughan - sr
Kyser Cleckley - sr
Razir Jones - sr
Mike Conley - jr
Kai Hauser - jr
Cam Glass - jr
Dom Mazzei - jr
Dmitry Nesmith - jr
Anthony Franchi - so
Mo Harris - so
J'ai McKenzie - so
Isiah Sharp - fr

Other football players who might come out
Darius Nesmith - sr
Tyler Cain - so
Jabarhi Cleckley - so
Shileak Livingston - jr
Josh Hough - jr
Xavier McKenzie - so
Jaren Brickner - fr
Mehki Clark - so

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:36:48 PM by bfgrad »

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »

Anthony Morris took his mom's last name, was it Morris or Franchi last season?

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 04:12:20 PM »

Franchi last year, not Morris.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:04:53 PM »

Schedule per the school district athletic office, but there are a few games missing. All games 7:30 unless otherwise noted.

11/26 at Mt Lebo (scrimmage) 4PM
12/3 at Kennedy Catholic (scrimmage) 4:30PM
12/6 vs Sto-Rox @ Midland, Midland Tip-Off, 7:30PM
12/7 vs Blackhawk @ Geneva, Midland Tip-Off, 5PM
12/9 vs NC 
12/12 @ NB
12/17 @ Highlands
12/20 vs EC
12/21 vs Moon @ Moon, PBC Tip-Off Tournet, 3PM (also CV/Hampton, 12, KO/N Hills 1:30PM)
12/23 vs Blackhawk
12/27 vs P-R @ CJ Betters RBA @CCBC 5:30PM
12/28 vs Butler @ CJ Betters RBA @ CCBC 4PM
1/3/20 @ LP
1/7 vs Neshannock
1/10 @ Riverside
1/14 vs Aliquippa
1/17 vs NB
1/24 @ EC
1/28 vs LP
1/31 @ Neshannock
2/4 vs Riverside
2/7 @ Aliquippa

That's 20 games. They're probably playing in 2 or 3 PBC tournaments for the balance of their games.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:09:18 PM by bfgrad »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »

They open up with Sto-Rox on December 6 at Geneva in the Midland Tip-Off.  I am not sure who they play the next evening.  That's two more right there.  Leaves 3 games to get to 22 for the season.

Between Jan 17-24, I am sure they are playing an exhibition game in that time frame.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »

Thanks. I knew they were playing in the Midland Tip-Off, just wasn't sure who or when.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »

Scrimmage against Farrell set for Saturday canceled as Farrell has a PIAA playoff game in football. Tigers will scrimmage Kennedy Cath on Tuesday, 12/3 at KC.

BF plays in the Midland Tourny 12/6 and 12/7. First game is Friday vs Sto Rox at Midland, second game on Saturday vs Blackhawk at Geneva at 5PM.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 09:06:53 PM »

Here is the line up for the CJ Betters RBA, no divisions or boys champs this year because too many teams are in the same sections.

Dec. 27: Montour vs. Highlands, 4 p.m.; Beaver Falls vs. Pine-Richland, 5:30 p.m.; Central Valley vs. Aliquippa, 7 p.m.; and Lincoln Park vs. Butler, 8:30 p.m.

Dec. 28: Beaver Falls vs. Butler, 4 p.m.; Aliquippa vs. Pine-Richland, 5:30 p.m.; Central Valley vs. Montour, 7 p.m.; and Lincoln Park vs. Highlands, 8:30 p.m.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »

Lazy scheduling by our AD.  We play Whitehawk twice.  Stupid.  And the Betters tourney is even worse.  BF is going to get boat-raced by Pine Richland and Butler. 

It's a total joke and the kids will learn nothing losing by 30 each game to 6A juggernauts.  BF is no longer elite and can't compete with the upper echelon.

Play teams you have a chance to win and/or can compete against.  That's all I'm saying.  I don't want to hear it doesn't matter, they are exhibition, blah blah blah.  Do better in terms of scheduling.

Playing teams like New Castle, Whitehawk (ONCE), Highlands and Sto-Rox are good opponents.  PR and Butler? JOKE.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 12:38:20 PM »

Betters was set up this way because BF, LP and Aliquippa are all in the same section and play twice. The same with Butler and PR.

The fact is the Tigers don't have "elite" talent and haven't for awhile. Lance played at Nebraska, hardly a hoops powerhouse, for 2 years. Sheldon played at Vandy, then Pitt. It's not like the 1970 team that sent Hmiel to U Cincy, Wagner to Pitt, Jackson to Duquesne and Kopka to DII.

This year, they have a good, deep team with decent height. They are not going to get "boat raced" by anyone. They've already played Ambridge, a very tall team, 3 times (BF did get blown out when it was Amb varsity vs BF JVs) and are scrimmaging Kennedy Cath on Tuesday.

You don't get better by playing teams you can beat. It's why Mastroianni never won at QV, because their non-section schedule was full of cream puffs.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 07:16:39 PM »

I understand why Betters was set up the way it is.  Get out of that tournament and play competition that is at your level. BF lost to Pine 69-29 last year. Butler lost in the 6A final after beating Pine in the semis by 2.  BF lost to Penn Hills 83-51 the year before in that tourney. I know you are close to Jeter and the program.  But take the rose colored glasses off, they will get boat raced by both teams.  To compare Ambridge to those teams is comical.

I really have no idea what the point of your second paragraph is about.  What does Lance and Sheldon have to do with my point?  I'm talking about elite teams BF had in the past.  From 2002 thru 2016, BF had elite talent and teams for all but 2 of those years...2010 was Biega's worst team. Those years BF played 4A and 3A schools and won a lot or played to their level. 

Did I say cream puffs? No. All I'm asking is to play 4A, 3A and elite 2A teams.  Get creative and play teams from D-10 and D-6.  Play a city league school.  Do a better job of scheduling.  OLSH beat them 2 years ago.  Sto-Rox BOAT RACED them last year.  Those are 2A schools.  They have no business playing 6A elite teams.  You don't learn a damn thing losing 69-29 other than to question why the game was played to begin with. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:36:01 PM by bftigers »

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 02:59:26 AM »

Did you go to the game yesterday? Was curious how sto looked. I know we lost by 1

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 05:16:07 AM »

OS, you guys have a pretty good team, very quick and athletic. They forced 20+ turnovers from BF. Sto's kids are fairly tall, but they all seem to have long arms and that helped them press and trap. I'd say they went about 8 deep. They'll probably improve when the football players get their basketball legs. It won't surprise me if they end up playing at the Pete.

The game was nip and tuck for the most part. I think BF held the biggest lead at 8 pts or so in the first half. Sto took a 4 pt lead late in the game, but BF's Vaughan hit a 3 to tie it up with under a minute to go. Sto got the ball and played for the last shot, but missed it, BF got the rebound with 10 secs left, got down the court, Franchi put up a shot, was fouled with 1 sec left, made the 1st, clanked the 2nd off the rim and game over. It was really fun game to watch. Both teams ran and played good defense, but both also became undisciplined at times resulting in mad scramble type hoops.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 05:43:36 AM »

Tigers got a good early test from StoRox, winning 57-56 on a FT by Anthony Franchi with 1 sec left. BF's breaking in all new Gs after losing all of last year's to graduation. They probably did their best ball-handling with Mo Harris and Isiah Sharp at G. They had some trouble with Sto's press as Sto was really quick to the ball. I think that caught BF's kids off guard. The game got a little out of control and scrambly at times as both teams play tight defense and like to run. BF got a terrific game from D'Mitri Nesmith. He looks like a totally different player than last year. I was told he had double digit rebounds and points. The kids did a nice job passing the ball to get the open shot. The FT shooting needs work, though. Had they made their FTs, the game likely wouldn't have come down to a last second win. They generally rebounded well on both ends. They did a nice job remembering to bounce the ball off a nearby opponent to retain possession, something they haven't been good at doing the past few years.

LP beat BH by about 20 pts, so we'll see how BF/BH goes this evening.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 05:55:55 AM »

Here's the opening roster, although it may be subject to change at some point:

Noah Vaughan, F Sr
Darius Nesmith, F, Sr
Razir Jones, G, Sr
Colton Novak, G, Sr
Mike Conley, G, Jr
Cam Glass, C, Jr
Kai Hauser, F, Jr