PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: 2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball  (Read 2282 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2020, 09:52:45 AM »

I'll remain optimistic about making it to the Pete.  :) The kids are playing well, and, as importantly, listening to the coaches. I agree about Noah playing better and adding that leadership component that all good teams need. He seems to have accepted the roles and assignments Jeter has given him in pursuit of team goals.

That said, after NB at home on Friday, two big road games, at Neshannock, always a tough place to play, and at EC, then home against LP. Neshannock gave LP a tussle at LP on Tuesday. BF can't sleep on them or Ellwood for that matter.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:56:33 AM by bfgrad »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »

That is not how their schedule goes.  They have NB home tomorrow, then travel to Ellwood next Friday.  The following week is LP home on January 28 then traveling to Neshannock on January 31.

Nevertheless, every game is big from here on out.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »

Just pointing out Tigers have 2 road games that they can't take lightly.

Mike Bires mentioned BF in his column today, too. https://www.timesonline.com/sports/20200115/mike-bires-bf-tigers-just-might-be-wpial-championship-contenders
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:50:36 PM by bfgrad »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »

Just pointing out Tigers have 2 road games that they can't take lightly.

Mike Bires mentioned BF in his column today, too. https://www.timesonline.com/sports/20200115/mike-bires-bf-tigers-just-might-be-wpial-championship-contenders

Oh, I gotcha.  Well, BF isn't good enough to take anyone lightly.  They struggled to beat a 2-win NB team pulling away in the 4th quarter.  Ellwood and Neshannock are not as good as BF, but Neshannock in their gym is just a different animal.  That will be every bit as tough as it will be playing Lincoln Park at home for different reasons.  And you know Ellwood will be all fired up when we enter the gym just like Riverside was on their home floor last Friday.

They just need to keep the mindset of getting better everyday AND be coachable.  Practice, games, etc.  That needs to be the thought process.  If they do that, they will be fine. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:24:54 PM by bftigers »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »

Tigers rolled over NB 75-36 with the 4th qtr being a reprise of the JV game. A lot of playground hoops as both teams were out to run and gun. BF did play what's becoming its usual stifling defense, though. There were some nice passes to open teammates, but the order of the night was shoot, shoot, shoot. Hard to draw any definitive conclusions because of that, but BF is showing more ability to make the outside shots which will help when they face opponents who will play some version of a zone to make the Tigers beat them from outside.

No game until next Friday at Ellwood City since our AD is apparently too disinterested to find an opponent, leaving BF with only 19 games of a possible 22.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2020, 11:17:42 PM »

I thought BF played a tremendous game tonight against a bad opponent.  The first game vs NB was so ugly and tonight illustrated how improved BF has become in the last month.  We go a legit 9 deep in the rotation and everyone seems to know their role and responsibilities.

I never thought I would say this but we have a legit chance to beat Lincoln Park at home on January 28.  We will see, but these kids are fun to watch.

As far as our scheduling, we will play 20 games, not 19.  It's embarrassing that our AD failed to schedule 22 games.  This team doesn't need a week off.  They need to keep playing.  It's a joke.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2020, 06:43:51 AM »

Sometimes it takes half the season for a team to gel. At the beginning of the season, guard play was a question mark, but Conley has grown into the PG role even though he'd rather not be in it. Sharp is improving every game and Livingston has been a real good surprise at PG, too. Vaughan getting his basketball legs has been a big key. His all around play is getting better and better. They are playing as a team, not individuals.

Tigers can't fall into a trap game at EC next Friday, though. If they get through that, the gym should be packed for the game vs LP on Tuesday. I have to give some props to the students, they are showing up for games and creating a great atmosphere. They were nuts last night.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »

Didn't go to the game, but WBVP reports BF 63, EC 41.

Blurb from the Trib:
Beaver Falls 63, Ellwood City 41 Noah Vaughn scored 19 and Razir Jones added 12 to help No. 4 Beaver Falls (12-4, 7-1) to a Section 1-3A win. Nate Coonfare had 13 for Ellwood City (8-9, 4-5).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:49:42 AM by bfgrad »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2020, 07:34:05 AM »

I made it to the game and it was needless to say, one of the more puzzling games I have seen Jeter coach.

BF came out flying for a 19-6 first quarter lead.  It continued into the second by going up 30-9 but Jeter took a timeout for whatever reason.  BF led at the half 35-16.  Noah had 18 at half.  Then at the start of the third quarter, Jeter had 3 starters on the bench..Noah, Conley and Franchi. He proceeded to play 3 JV kids for the majority of the quarter.  Everyone in the stands was flabbergasted.  Our 3 starters never played a second in the quarter.  Fortunately, Razier scored 8-10 points in that quarter to carry us.

Those 3 started the final quarter but Noah was subbed for not even 2 minutes into the quarter. Franchi and Conley struggled in the final frame.  They had no flow of the game whatsoever.  It was puzzling to say the least.  BF could have easily scored close to 80 tonight with starters playing the minutes they should be getting.

BF had not played in a week so to sit starters and give JV kids meaningful minutes isn't going to help...trust me.  Jeter started subbing only 2 minutes into the game.  Kids aren't even warmed up yet or in the flow of the game.  The JV kids that were playing will not factor into their playoff rotation.  If they do, then we are in huge trouble.

Jeter needs to get his rotation set NOW.  8 man rotation and no more.  Starters should be Hauser, Noah, Razier, Conley and Franchi.  Bench guys should be Sharp, Shaliek and Darius.  Roll with that.  We have a huge game at home vs Lincoln Park University on Tuesday and still have road games at Quip and Neshannock.  Enough with the science experiments on the floor.  This team has a chance to make a deep run this year.  Jeter and the staff have really done a nice job developing them. However, the time is now to set your playoff rotation and move forward.

And last but not least, we all saw one of the strangest things after the game.  Walking in the hallway after the game, Jeter approached an unhappy parent to discuss God knows what.  His son played around 25 minutes so it couldn't have been playing time.  His other son should have played more considering what JV kids played, but whatever. 

Minutes after a game, I have never seen a head coach talking with a parent in the hallway in front of hundreds of fans.  It easily was the strangest thing I have ever seen.  That is a private conversation for another time.  Jeter should be in the locker room with his team rather than talking with a parent.  That parent should feel fortunate his oldest son plays as much as he does. He would be on the floor no more than 10 minutes for me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:05:31 AM by bftigers »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2020, 11:15:31 PM »

Tigers could not get the job done vs LP tonight, losing 73-53. BF got off track early when one of their best defenders, Anthony Franchi fell awkwardly and twisted his knee. At first the fans I was sitting near thought he'd torn ligaments or tendons, but apparently it is a relatively minor injury, one he's had before and no ligament/tendon injuries. That injury just seemed to throw the whole defensive game plan off, though, as BF did not play its best defensive game. It also messed up the G rotation and caused Livingston to have to play nearly 2 full games (JV, varsity) with Conley having some early PF trouble.

The game was pretty chippy and Cam Glass, normally pretty laid back, got into it with Reddix from LP as both tusseled for the ball on a rebound, and was ejected for throwing punches. BF got within 5 or 6 in the 4th qtr, but then went cold missing baskets their last 6 or 7 trips down the court to end the game, thus the final margin. At the end, LP was just holding the ball running out the clock when Mathos decided he'd put an exclamation dunk on the game. For his stupidity, he got a T for hanging on the rim and (surprising to me) chewed out by Bariski.

File this away for future reference and move on to focus on winning at Neshannock on Friday.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2020, 08:47:51 PM »

Neshannock 69
BF 63

BF is really missing Anthony Franchi.  He is our best defensive player and his absence the last 2 games have exposed us on defense.  MRI results on his knee will come back next week.  Guard Shaliek Livingston did not play as well but will be back next week.

BF led 52-45 at the end of 3rd so not to close it out is very disappointing.  Neshannock was 7 for 8 from 3 pt line in the first half.  To put in perspective the difference on our defense with Franchi, Neshannock scored 35 pts in our first game as we beat them by 19.  They had that at half tonight en route to 69.

Forget about that 3 seed talk lol.  They can win a first round playoff game.  However, it is a crapshoot after that if Franchi is done.  He's only a sophomore so it may be best for him to sit.  It's the same knee he injured last year.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:57:43 PM by bftigers »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2020, 08:57:27 PM »

Neshannock is a tough place to play because the gym is such a bandbox and they are not a terrible team. I can't say I'm surprised BF lost.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2020, 11:22:33 PM »

BF closed out its home game regular season with a 71-60 win over Riverside. BF was up by 20 with a couple minutes to go when Jeter put his seniors in for a couple possessions so he could take them out for a final round of applause. Before he did it, he went over to Riverside's coach and let him know so they didn't think BF was trying to run up the score. At the very end, the players at the end of Riverside's bench got in and both teams made way for him to score except it took a few tries and the basket he made was probably after the buzzer, but it was counted. It was a really nice display of sportsmanship to see BF kids pass him the ball so he could score.

At halftime, the 50th Anniversary of the 1970 PIAA Clas A (now 6A) State Champs was acknowledged. A couple of the players from that team were introduced and got a nice round of applause. I got to see the great Steeler teams of the 70s and been at the 1971 and 1979 World Series, but nothing will ever be as fun as following those '69-'70 Tigers through the 1 game playoff to win the section, then throughout the playoffs and onto the Farm Show Arena and defeating Haverford.

As for the game, Tigers jumped out to a big lead, but saw Riverside whittle away to being down by 6 until the kids buckled down and closed the game out. Riverside's center had a career game with about 30 pts. Jones and Conley led BF in scoring and Vaughan played a good all-around game. Tigers were a bit short-handed with Franchi and Livingston out with injuries and Hauser having to sit out after getting into some trouble at school today.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2020, 11:38:20 PM »

Right now in 1-3A, LP has clinched 1st, BF is 2nd at 8-3, Neshannock and Aliquippa 7-4.

BF is at Aliquippa and LP at Neshannock on Friday.

If BF beats Aliquippa, they finish 2nd regardless.

If BF loses to Aliquippa and LP beat Neshannock, BF and Aliquippa tie for 2nd, Neshannock is 4th.

If BF loses to Aliquippa and Neshannock beats LP, all three teams finish 8-4 but Aliquippa owns the tiebreaker over Neshannock, BF has split with both teams.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2020, 09:22:40 PM »

Just listened on the radio, but sounded like the BF-Aliquippa game set basketball back a few decades with Aliquippa winning 49-35. Tigers seemed out of it from the start, maybe playing after not being in school all day or having a playoff spot locked up or whatever. I think even if Neshannock beats LP, they'll be 4th as they lose the tie-breaker to Aliquippa, the BF and Aliquippa tie for 2nd having split their 2 games.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6