PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: 2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball  (Read 2262 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2019-2020 BF Tigers Basketball
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2019, 10:33:38 AM »

That's a ridiculous comment and you know it. Honestly, you watch 2 games and think it's the end of the world.
Cam isn't "awful" and Dom isn't either. These are the same kids who played on a JV team that lost 1 game all last season. I watched them play all summer and fall. Did you? BF won by 20 points at NB, so what is wasn't pretty? And who cares what the score against Laurel was? It's not relevent to anything.

BTW, Aliquippa lost to Ellwood at home last night.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »

First and foremost, relax lol.  I am not sure who took a leak in your cereal today but it wasn't me.  What is ridiculous is the fact you think my opinion is ridiculous.

It doesn't take much to see Cam is extremely challenged as a basketball player.  While he has height, there is little coordination, skill or strength with his game.  He's a nice kid but please don't tell me he's a good player.  Good players don't have a stat sheet of 2 pts and 5 fouls against a pathetic team like NB.  That's my final thought in regards to this young man.

And I didn't say Dom is awful.  I just don't see him a part of this year's rotation for various reasons.  In addition, he has been injured it seems like every year.  It is a shame but his knee just can't sustain the constant strain that comes with playing hoops.

I don't need to watch meaningless summer league games to observe and evaluate talent or lack thereof.  Please take the rose colored glasses off when it comes to hoops.  i am being objective in my observation of this team thus far.  What have I said so far that is untrue?  They have no guards, one player who can score the ball, and the rest are offensively challenged.  Is any of that false?  They average 53 ppg thru 4 games because of the issues I just stated.  The BF teams that were rolling with tremendous guard play in the past averaged around 75 ppg. 

When BF is only scoring 54 points against a horrible team like NB, it is tough to watch.  The level of talent has just decreased so much the last few years at BF.  You have to agree with that.  There's no Slappy, Johnson, Lance, Todd, Sheldon, Cook, Cotttrill, Creach or Donovan coming up.  That's the real reason Doug left.  He saw the writing on the wall and got out before the talent level dropped significantly.  What he coached from 2001 thru 2017 was an incredible run of basketball studs and athletes.  Those kids don't exist right now at BF.  We were very spoiled for a number of years.

And who cares about Quip losing to Ellwood.  That just tells me they stink this year losing to that sorry program.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 07:56:29 PM by bftigers »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 07:55:35 PM »

Highlands 28
BF 5

End 1st

Cannot remember us losing this bad after 1st quarter ever..even in the down years before Biega came aboard.  And one of those years we went 3-19.

Here's the scary part.  Their best player, 6 ft 6 Crise, is suspended tonight.  Cussed at ref and ejected last game.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:57:25 PM by bftigers »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2019, 08:15:07 PM »

Highlands up 50-21 at half....ouch.

Competitive 2nd qtr at least.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »

Highlands 82
BF 60

Final

Horrendous 1st qtr is the difference.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »

Definitely disappointing given how the kids played hard and together over the summer and fall, and, with basically only 2 additions after football season.

Things figured to be somewhat rough given all the experienced guards (who did most of the scoring, too) graduated and having to break in new guards or even finding kids to handle the ball. They weren't, and don't appear to be, a good shooting team although they do have a few kids like Conley, Jones and Vaughan who can get hot. Compounding that is their big guys aren't great ball-handlers either. I was surprised to see Livingston show up in the box score. I know Jeter wanted him to come out because he has PG experience, but when he wasn't on the opening roster, figured he just decided to stick with football.

Tigers are going to have to win with relentless defense and points off turnovers. They can't take even 1 play off and hope to be competitive. I think they could actually roll 8-10 kids and wear opponents out. We'll see how it all plays out and if the kids can right their ship.

Recap of game at Highlands. As bftigers said, being down 19-0, then 28-5 after 1 qtr did them in. https://tribhssn.triblive.com/highlands-uses-balanced-attack-to-hammer-beaver-falls/

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »

Tigers beat Ellwood City 52-38 after EC scored a couple meaningless buckets near the end. BF generally played good defense especially on EC's little PG keeping him from finding the open guy. BF made EC work hard for every shot. Jeter also rolled 10 kids and 12 played. It wore EC down by the 4th qtr. Tigers left a lot of points on the floor from missing too many put back baskets. They got offensive rebounds, but couldn't always finish. Sharp started at G and played pretty well although Conely remained the main ball-handler.

There've been a couple roster changes with Shileak Livingston and Tyler Cain joining the team from football. I think once he gets his basketball legs, Livingston will see more time at PG. He's strong from football and played PG up through the BF basketball program. Harris got kicked off the team after a verbal argument with the JV coach that either party probably could have racheted down, but c'est la vie.

Recap: https://www.timesonline.com/sports/20191220/beaver-falls-defense-blankets-ellwood-city-in-52-38-win

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2019, 05:11:03 PM »

BF 51
Moon 48

Final

Shocked we beat the defending state champs in 5A.  I know they lost everyone but still a nice win.  We were up 28-19 at half as well.

Improves to 5-2.

Jr Michael Conley 13
So Anthony Franchi 12
Sr Noah Vaughan 11

Hosts Blackhawk Monday night.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »

Went to the game at Moon. Moon looked pretty young and inexperienced. Kaufman will get what there is out of them, but I don't see them being much of a factor in 5A this season. BF again played solid defense, but, yoi! the missed lay ups. If not for those, the game probably isn't close. The refs were pretty determined not to let basketball be a contact sport, calling a ton of PFs. There were 13 in the 3rd qtr alone and both teams were in the double bonus early into the 4th qtr. BF made a few dumb decisions with the ball that helped let Moon back in the game.

Vaughan made the go ahead basket with 5 secs to go and then the +1 FT. All in all a good win and a tight game they can learn from. The kids are looking a lot better and Jeter seems to have settled on about 10 man rotation that will wear a lot of teams down by the 4th qtr.

On to the 3rd battle of 15010 Monday.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2019, 09:09:52 PM »

In the third installment of the 15010 game this year, counting football, BF prevails 59-51 over Blackhawk, completing the 2-game sweep in hoops plus beating them on the gridiron.

BF played their best quarter of the year to open the game going up 19-11.  Then we got away from what was successful in the first qtr and struggled mightily in the 2nd.  We only scored 4 pts in the 2nd qtr...tied at 23 at half.

Then BF came out strong in the 3rd going up 11, 38-27.  Blackhawk continued to battle back and cut it to 3 at 46-43  in the 4th.  BF beat their press for some easy shots late in the game to pull away.

Senior Razier Jones had 17, Junior Kai Hauser had 12 in his best game of the year.  Sophomore Anthony Franchi continues to develop as he chipped in 12 pts and timely buckets and FTs.

BF improves to 6-2 and is slowly starting to play better.  However, they have 2 blowouts awaiting them this weekend vs Butler and Pine Richland. STUPID scheduling to stay in the CJ Betters tourney.  Then they start the new year at Lincoln Park so it'll be 6-5 heading into the first full week of 2020.

Getting two wins vs Bhawk, beating Sto Rox and starting out 2-0 in the section is what's most important.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »

BF won over BH 59-51. That makes BF 3-0 and champs of 15010 with 2 wins in hoops and 1 in football. A nice Christmas present for us Tiger lifers.  :D

It was a good competitive game, though. BH played pretty solid defense and created more turnovers than I expected, but BF's defense was better as they held BH's best scorer, Fedisin, in check and made life hard for their PG Borello. Anthony Franchi was on Fedisin most of the game and did a terrific job guarding him while scoring 12 pts of his own. Razir Jones lead BF with 17 pts and was a creating havoc on defense all over the court. Kai Hauser had a strong game inside with rebounds and put backs. Vaughan played well on the boards, but his shooting eye has been off so far, but credit to him that he's not letting that effect his play in any other area. BF didn't rotate as many kids in and out as they have been. Overall, BF played a pretty complete game, probably their best of the season. Right now, their biggest bug-a-boo is finishing around the rim. If they'd made half of their misses, it's an easy double digit win.

They have a couple of tough tests coming up Friday and Sat at the CJ Betters RBA vs Butler at 5 on Friday and PR at 3 on Sat.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »

Here is an updated roster:

Noah Vaughan - Sr
Razir Jones - Sr
Darius Nesmith - Sr
Colton Novak - Sr
Mike Conley - Jr
Kai Hauser - Jr
Shileak Livingston - Jr
Cam Glass - Jr
D'Mitri Nesmith - So
Anthony Franchi - So
Jabahri Cleckley - So
J'ai McKenzie - So
Ayendi Chaney - So
Tyler Cain - So
Xavier Collins - So (JV)
David McDonald - So (JV)
Isiah Sharp - Fr

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »

Lazy scheduling by our AD.  We play Whitehawk twice.  Stupid.  And the Betters tourney is even worse.  BF is going to get boat-raced by Pine Richland and Butler. 

It's a total joke and the kids will learn nothing losing by 30 each game to 6A juggernauts.  BF is no longer elite and can't compete with the upper echelon.

Play teams you have a chance to win and/or can compete against.  That's all I'm saying.  I don't want to hear it doesn't matter, they are exhibition, blah blah blah.  Do better in terms of scheduling.

Playing teams like New Castle, Whitehawk (ONCE), Highlands and Sto-Rox are good opponents.  PR and Butler? JOKE.

Looks like I was EXACTLY right about playing Pine Richland.   

Pine Richland 76
BF 46

Butler boat race tomorrow at 5:30.  Ethan Morton might not play but that won't matter much.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »

Not unexpectedly, BF lost to PR. Tigers played tough defense holding PR to 0 (or 1) 3s in the first half. The play was not as lopsided as the final score might indicate although the game did get away in the 4th qtr after BF made a little run to get within 13. BF shot about 30% (17 of 53) from the field and you are not going to win many games that way. Tigers did a good job breaking PR's press as well. They rebounded pretty well and blocked a few shots. They just do not have anyone right now who can step up and make shots. Razir Jones had a real nice game, though. And the FT shooting has improved.

PR's a good shooting team and they are competent handling the ball. They're not a real tall team considering they are 6A, most of the kids between 6' and 6'4.

Recap from the Times: https://www.timesonline.com/sports/20191227/betters-classic-another-challenge-for-young-beaver-falls-squad
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:38:21 PM by bfgrad »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »

Beaver Falls scores a come from behind 74-70 win over the top ranked team in 6A Butler. Tigers trailed by as many as 16. Michael Conley led Beaver Falls with 24, Noah Vaughn had 14. Devin Carney led Butler with 26, Mason Montag with 15.

I stand corrected as I expected a rout.  Ethan Morton did not play for Butler but that's a great win for us nonetheless.

Congrats to the kids and staff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6