PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: West Greene at Clairton  (Read 357 times)

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
West Greene at Clairton
« on: October 05, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »

How good is 7-0West Greene? Are they a legit contender in class A?

quitter

• Jr. Varsity
Re: West Greene at Clairton
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »

Yes

hitman66

• All State
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 01:52:49 PM »

How good is 7-0West Greene? Are they a legit contender in class A?

I think so.  Had them at WPIAL #8/state #19 in 1A for 2018, and brought a lot back.  Ben Jackson is a MAN out there, and he has some help around him.

swimdad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 11:22:14 PM »

Clairton defeated Laurel by 33-7
Laurel defeated California by 15-0
West Greene defeated California by 35-0

Now, I don't know if any of this means anything on Friday night.

The Pioneers have an experienced team. Ben Jackson is a key part of that group, but they also have many others. Kolin Walker is also a strong runner, and Corey Wise can run the ball. Either Gavin Scott or Orndoff can run the offense at QB and they can throw, if needed. The line has good size with Bedilion, Whyte & Staggers, particularly for a Single A team. Also, they do have a kicker. Virtually all these kids play both ways and some will say that they're better on defense than offense.

I don't know any details about Clairton, but I assume they have strong group of well-coached athletes, as they always do.

It's an opportunity for WG to make a statement and significantly improve their seeding position. Should be a great game.

E Q KIMBAL

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 10:25:36 PM »

I think this game will tell us something about Ben Jackson, this is the first true test he will have to show people he is a legitimate back. Clairton has a good defense and if Jackson can have a big night his stock will go up.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 10:58:01 PM »

Jackson is a legit.  Big and athletic.  The 90 yard TD run that got called back last week because he hurdled a DB illustrated his ability.  I don't think he needs a big game against Clairton to prove anything.  He's a college caliber back right now.  Not sure what WG has around him to help him have success against Clairton, but the film I've watched of him is impressive enough. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

swimdad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 01:12:04 PM »

What did we learn from this game?

1. You can't teach speed. WG did occasionally contain the Bears speed, but more often, the Bears ran away.
2. Don't give your opponent a short field or extra posessions. Turnovers killed the Pioneers, and the Bears always took advantage of those opportunities.
3. X's & O's or Jimmy's & Joe's? Clairton just had more athletes.
4. The best defense is a good offense. WG couldn't maintain enough drives to keep the Bear's offense off the field.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:19:40 AM by swimdad »

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 07:49:38 PM »

Just noticed that I have not heard anything from or about the Clairton Coach yet this year.  Has he just not had any interviews after their games?

big ike

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »

Jackson is a legit.  Big and athletic.  The 90 yard TD run that got called back last week because he hurdled a DB illustrated his ability.  I don't think he needs a big game against Clairton to prove anything.  He's a college caliber back right now.  Not sure what WG has around him to help him have success against Clairton, but the film I've watched of him is impressive enough.

He may have been "stopped" a little by Clairton but really like his HS film in general, and the long run vs. Clairton. He made a nice smooth dip between defenders and showed speed. I assume he is getting at minimum some looks from at least a tier 2 (Mid to lower MAC, Higher FCS, YSU type) or tier 3 (Duquesne, RMU to strong PSAC schools). But I wonder if TCS is holding his interest back. But it looks like he runs away from what are considered skill heavy teams as much as teams with not considered generally fast.