PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Oktoberfest!  (Read 70 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
Oktoberfest!
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »

Well, with October on our doorstep, what are everyone's Oktoberfest favorites? 

My favorite is Schnitzel - chicken, pork or veal pounded out thinly, breaded, and fried up golden brown. 

Additionally, sausage is my favorite food group so I'm a big fan of brats.  Not real big on sauerkraut, it's traditional sidekick, but I'll eat it if I have to.  I really dislike the sweetened kraut that has brown sugar, apples and that stuff in it.  I like cooking kraut in beer and lots of cracked black pepper!
"there is a light that never goes out"

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: Oktoberfest!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »

Sausage and/or brats for me and I am a big sauerkraut fan but I agree with you, I am not a fan on when they make it sweet. I hate when people think they need to make everything sweet and add a ton of sugar to everything. No wonder Americans are obese! LOL!

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »

I've been pretty busy lately and have not given it much thought, but definitely a time of the year that I enjoy. Will be in Cincinnati next weekend (which has big German influence, and my inlaws maternal side are 100% German so they have some good recipes for warm German potato salad etc).

Possibly on the trip we can stop in German Village in Columbus either on the way down or back. Schmidt's Sausage Haus is one of my favorites...their sausages are incredible, their saurkraut is the sweet stuff (which I do like), and they have these ridiculous cream puffs for dessert there that are incredible.

Also beer wise I am not by any stretch a craft beer type (I generally dislike IPAs which eliminates 75% of craft beers lol), but the pumpkin beers and Oktoberfest beers are generally my favorites.

And unrelated to that (October itself rather than Octoberfest) I am a sucker for pumpkin spice anything...

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:38:59 AM »

Man, has there been an explosion of pumpkin flavored anything this year.  Just walking around the supermarket you can find pumpkin spiced stuff on every shelf. Every cereal has a pumpkin version it seems.

I noticed that on the news that Pa. is enacting some type of new tax on the craft beers now. Don't know what they call it or why the craft beers.  I guess with the flood of new businesses opening up and selling the 'home brew'...they must have been 'escaping' paying some type of tax the commercial brands must pay.  Do the cost of your favorite craft beers will be going up.  Wonder how this will effect all  these new bars?  If the profits margin is going to drop, I can imagine this will discourage some openings.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »

Craft beer is so popular especially with millennials and Xers and Yers that I doubt that a slight tax on it would drive down consumption.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »

I personally prefer your bud light, ic light, miller light types of beers but one thing that I think is good about craft beers are that most people that drink them truly do drink them for taste and not effect. So itís capturing a market of people who were untapped for beer up until 10 years ago.

emm8

• All State
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:55:35 PM »

Craft beer is so popular especially with millennials and Xers and Yers that I doubt that a slight tax on it would drive down consumption.

The great conundrum for millennials and Xers and Yers is whether to get their masters or open a brewery!   ;D

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:45:05 AM »

Had some good kielbasi over the weekend.  One of the underrated Oktoberfest items.  Was originally baked in oven earlier in the day, and then finished on the grill to give it a bit of char later on before we ate.  Quite tasty. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:39:36 AM »

I do the same thing with kielbasa of I can!

I like kielbasa as a ham type of holiday side as well (it is part of the Xmas and Easter spread as well).