PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: Pens 2019 - 2020 Regular Season  (Read 3772 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pens 2019 - 2020 Regular Season
« Reply #285 on: December 01, 2019, 05:41:30 AM »

That 2nd goal was the killer. I know the puck was kind of a knuckleball, but it's never good when it goes right through the 5 hole.

Madden had a recent column in the Trib speculating the rash of injuries this season is due to age and number of games played for the Pens' core players. I think that's generally a good theory, but I also think the way Sullivan insists the Pens play - more or less a "heavy" game with aggressive forechecking - also is taking a physical toll. The Pens aren't a "heavy" team ala StL and CBJ. Although they are faster this season, they aren't able to dump the puck behind opposing d-men and get to it first nearly as much. Add to that, all the deterrent/enforcer players Rutherford has acquired don't get regular playing time from the head coach. That leaves the other players sitting ducks to be mashed at will by opponents, even opponents who aren't known for hitting. It was noticeable to me last year that when Gudbranson arrived and played, a lot of the nonsense stopped because now their was a viable cost an opponent would pay for cheap shots, etc. Sullivan couldn't wait to dump Gudbranson in favor of the completely useless Chad Ruhwedel and overmatched Zach Trotman, though, and now the Pens are again paying the price for having no one to protect the other skaters.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »

A couple of those goals Murray gave up were pretty bad. That second goal I agree was bad but also the 4th and 5th goals were also bad goals. As I said before, he looks like he is shrugging down when you shoot high on him which takes away all that coverage high and he is not getting square to the shooter either.

Madden can talk about injuries or how the Pens play which are good arguments to have but the one they still fail to talk about is the play of Murray. This team will go nowhere if Murray continues to play like this

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #287 on: December 02, 2019, 05:13:36 AM »

Dumoulin had surgery to repair lacerated tendons in his ankle. Apparently his was cut by the skate of whichever StL players fell over him.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #288 on: December 02, 2019, 07:51:43 PM »

Dumoulin had surgery to repair lacerated tendons in his ankle. Apparently his was cut by the skate of whichever StL players fell over him.

They are saying he will be out for a minimum of 8 weeks. Ouch!

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #289 on: December 02, 2019, 10:00:45 PM »

Sounds similar to the injury Jordan Staal got when Subban skated over his foot.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #290 on: December 03, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »

Good news- Schultz was back at practice today

Bad news - Sullivan reported that Hornqvist will be out longer term after getting hurt at practice yesterday. ZAR also missed practice today due to being sick. Rust also still not practicing

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #291 on: December 03, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »

I love Hornqvist's game, but the injuries have really been piling up lately, especially the concussions. Maybe it's time for him to think of his long term health and hang up the skates after this season.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #292 on: December 03, 2019, 08:52:47 PM »

I love Hornqvist's game, but the injuries have really been piling up lately, especially the concussions. Maybe it's time for him to think of his long term health and hang up the skates after this season.

I've been saying that for a while but I just don't think it will happen. As soon as he comes back from injury he goes straight to the front of the net and starts stirring it up. From what I heard though, his recent injury was just a freak fall at practice and nothing else but we also know how the NHL hides injuries. Rust is also still not back to practice and his injury was from slamming into the boards at practice

emm8

• All State
« Reply #293 on: December 04, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »

St. L  0  -  Pit  3  (05:43 3rd)

Pit goals-    
T. Blueger
S. Noesen
A. Galchenyuk

When have you seen a goals box score like that?

Keep up the good work

Simon's missed a couple golden opportunities also
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:25:11 PM by emm8 »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #294 on: December 04, 2019, 10:54:53 PM »

And how about Jarry with the 28 save shut out. He is really making a case to be the #1 goalie in this team

De Smith was also named AHL goalie of the month for November. Just sayin’

Penguins don’t play again until Saturday. I will be shocked if Jarry doesn’t start

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2019, 06:44:24 AM »

Simon really missed some glorious chances, but Rust and Hornqvist get back, he can't stay on the top line if he can't finish. It was nice to see Galchenyk get a goal on the breakaway.

Sullivan must like winning more than he does Murray because I'm kind of surprised he's turned to Jarry. Jarry's stick-handling skills are such a plus, especially with the defense featuring Ruhwedel and Trotman. Boucher asked him in the post-game if he thought about trying for the empty net. Jarry said he did, but thought better of it in the end.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2019, 10:27:20 AM »

DeSmith has been awesome in WBS.

I would like to see a Jarry/DeSmith split with MM on IR (if he is indeed nursing an injury)

Unfortunately MM has been so bad this season that I would say the chances of him being drafted by Seattle are going to be slim to none. I would think that his value would be at an all-time low.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »

Murray's been inconsistent, but he still has those 2 Cup rings on his resume. There are teams, perhaps Toronto or NJ, who might want a goalie with that resume. Also, like with MAF, Rutherford could give Seattle a draft pick if he really wanted to move Murray, although I'm not convinced the Pens do.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »

I misspoke earlier, the Pens have back to back games Friday and Saturday. Kessel and Arizona come to town Friday and the Pens go to Detroit on Saturday

Rust and Schultz were full participants in practice today and are expected to be back Friday

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2019, 05:11:10 PM »

Murray's been inconsistent, but he still has those 2 Cup rings on his resume. There are teams, perhaps Toronto or NJ, who might want a goalie with that resume. Also, like with MAF, Rutherford could give Seattle a draft pick if he really wanted to move Murray, although I'm not convinced the Pens do.

I agree. Murray was really good the beginning of the season but has just gotten worse since. Last 6 games Jarry is 5-1 with a 1.84 GAA and a .941 save percentage. If I was Sullivan, I would go with Jarry
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23