PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pens 2019 - 2020 Regular Season  (Read 136 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Pens 2019 - 2020 Regular Season
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »

What do you think guys? Are you ready for some hockey? I know I am. Training camp starts September 13th and their first preseason game will be September 16th against the Buffalo Sabres.

I know YIG and bfgrad I can count on you guys for some insight and wisdom. Any thoughts on the upcoming season? Me personally, I think this team's success will depend on if Malkin shows up this year. I know it is hard to pin a season on one man but Malkin needs to take some of the pressure off of Crosby. Matt Murray IMO also needs to be better all season and not just the second half like last season. Be nice to also see him make it through a season injury free

We are already getting reports on how good of shape Letang is in. Almost like how reporters would throw rumors about Lemieux being in great shape! LOL. Galchenyuk is being raved about by his team mates on his hard work. Looking forward to seeing where Galchenyul, Kahun and Tanev fit in and where

Penguins seem to be flying under the radar this season as there are some "experts" thinking they will even miss the playoffs. A lot of teams got a lot better around the Penguins but as long as they have Crosby and GMJR is willing to deal, I can't pick the Pens to miss the playoffs. As for me, not making it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs is a disappointment for me but I am hoping they can sneak up on some teams and win some games early. A stumble out of the block will not be good for Sullivan as he has pretty much got rid of some players and got the team he wants for the most part.   

I don't have season tickets this time but I already have tickets for October 19th to see them play Fleury and the Golden Knights!

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pens 2019 - 2020 Regular Season
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »

Agree on just about everything that you said. The only name I did not see in your post of potential boom/bust is Murray...hopefully entering the season healthy and with a good mindset. Entire team though definitely flying under the radar after their early exit last spring.

As you know my worry a bit is that other teams in the division will be or at least may be better (Philly, New Jersey, NYR immediately come to mind) and that's also assuming that Washington isn't going away and the Islanders and Hurricanes have tremendous coaching regardless if their rosters are better worse or the same.

With all of that said though no need for gloom and doom. I absolutely expect at least a playoff birth then they can go from there.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 09:07:41 PM »

Agree on just about everything that you said. The only name I did not see in your post of potential boom/bust is Murray...hopefully entering the season healthy and with a good mindset. Entire team though definitely flying under the radar after their early exit last spring.

As you know my worry a bit is that other teams in the division will be or at least may be better (Philly, New Jersey, NYR immediately come to mind) and that's also assuming that Washington isn't going away and the Islanders and Hurricanes have tremendous coaching regardless if their rosters are better worse or the same.

With all of that said though no need for gloom and doom. I absolutely expect at least a playoff birth then they can go from there.

Oh, he's in there. Talked about him after Malkin basically saying he needs to put a full season together playing well versus bad the first half, really good the second half and horrible in the playoffs. And would also like to see him stay healthy all season

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »

Oops completely missed that haha.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »

I haven't put my thoughts together yet. I want to see what happens with Pettersson and Schultz and the d-men, if anything, before the season. Something is going to have to give to get Pettersson signed.

Murray's a big key. He has to be consistent in goal. Malkin should be ok with Galchenyk and TBD wing. Crosby will likely have a big year between Guentzel and McCann. I think the bottom 6 should be better with the new guys. I like that ZAR, Simon, etc will have to compete for jobs. We'll see if the Pens buy into "responsible" hockey or they tune Sullivan out.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »

Article I just read gives me a little more excitement for next season for the Pens and how Malkin will play

Apparently, Malkin was fed up with Kessel and being in the middle of the Kessel - Sullivan feuds. Malkin believed Kessel was content with winning 2 cups and was only in it now for his stats. Malkin felt that Kessel was "dragging him down" and he did not want to be seen as being in it just for stats if he kept playing with Kessel. Rumor is Malkin requested to be traded if he was going to be forced to play with Kessel. That's all pretty huge IMO.

If all of this is true, this might be a huge year for Malkin and maybe a weight was lifted off the players shoulders when Kessel was shipped off to Arizona

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 06:16:43 PM »

Where, if I might ask, did you read that?

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »

Where, if I might ask, did you read that?

MSN had a link of it in their local news section. Rob Rossi ( who Iím not a fan of) wrote it. Madden also talked about it today during his show. Before I go to bed tonight Iíll try to find the article again and post a link

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:18:58 AM »

Thanks. I don't give Rossi much credibility and I think Pensburgh was appropriately skeptical of what he wrote. I can believe Malkin and Sullivan butted heads, but I don't believe the part about Kessel. All reports were that Kessel was liked in "the room", if a bit quirky. Kessel seems to wear out his welcome with coaches, not teammates from what I've gathered.

Madden has often been critical, and xenophobic, when it comes to Malkin. I'm not surprised he'd jump on this story.

I can believe Malkin does get lonely. He strikes me as someone still very attached to his birthplace, family and friends in Russia. In that respect, he's not that different from the many western Pennsylvanians who had to leave the area over the years and remain deeply attached to it. It's too bad there's not a bigger Russian diaspora in the Pittsburgh area to give him a taste of home away from home.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:11 AM »

There was definitely something going on with the way the team played last season but as you said, I am also not a fan of Rossi but he does have a good relationship with Malkin. I do believe the part where Kessel was content and just wanted to pad his stats and keep his game streak going and that was all he worried about so I could see that causing a rift with other players

I said it before that I am glad he is gone and I believe the team will be better without him or at least that is what I am hoping

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 09:18:42 AM »

The game streak thing does bother me to some extent. As admirable as, say, Cal Ripken's game streak was, that had to suck for a manager to essentially not be allowed to bench him/rest him during a slump or an injury. Or Brett Favre, sometimes doing his team more harm than good by playing though injury. Hockey players, Kessel included, are so darned tough that it is tougher to just "sit" them the way that a manager could sit a shortstop for any reason, but if any lesson ever that I have learned from going too hard in the regular season is the 1992-1993 Pens  (coached by the greatest coach of all time Scotty Bowman none the less) going all out during their 17 game winning streak and trying to win that President's Trophy then not being rested/healthy for the playoffs. There is an added level of selfishness (a'la Kessel or Favre or Ripken) when the games streak takes precedence over all else. I guess that there is a fine like between pride and selfishness sometimes, and the above players probably straddled that line a bit at times. It is what it is.

With that said I think that Kessel is a winner. I think that his track record of playoff success shows that. I agree with bf that I just don't see what Rossi said being true regarding "only worrying about stats." If anything, Kessel historically has been more impressive in games that count vs games that would be ideal for stat padding. Or at least that's what I recall about him.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »

Kessel helped the Pens win 2 Cups. I'm not going to knock him. Maybe we've already forgotten Kessel's excellent playmaking skills. He didn't just score goals, he set them up, too, with great passing. A selfish player doesn't do that, imho.

TBH, if you want to point to an  "selfish" (on offense) type player on the team, Letang fits that mold better than Kessel. He's always rushing up ice with the puck, many times paying no attention to the situation or score and getting the team burned as a result.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »

Couldnít agree more about Letang. His 100 foot passes that are always getting picked off just drive me nuts. Never been a fan of Letang and it will be really interesting to see what Pens management does when his contract is up in a few years

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 09:54:35 PM »

Pens sign Petterssen to a 1 yr deal 875k. Presumably there's something of a verbal agreement to do a longer term deal after this season what with Schultz likely to leave as a UFA next summer or a later trade involving another player.
Pages: [1] 2