PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

Author Topic: Pens 2019 - 2020 Regular Season  (Read 10319 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pens 2019 - 2020 Regular Season
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 12:16:40 PM »

Granted it is only day 2 of training camp but word coming from camp so far is that Kahun is looking really good on the top line with Crosby and Guentzel. Galchenyuk and Malkin are also looking really good together. Sullivan started out with Rust on the 2nd line but later took him off and replaced him with Tanev and the 2nd line started looking much better. Malkin is saying Tanev is the fastest skater he has played with. Signs are not looking too good for Rust and Hornqvist to play on the top 2 lines

Only possible bad thing I'm hearing so far is Sullivan is persistent in keeping Johnson with Letang. I'm not a fan of either so we'll see how that works out

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:37:54 PM by bfgrad »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »

That's funny. He looks like Crosby on a weightlifting bulk up program!

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »

Can't believe Chase Berger wasn't on the essentially no name squad the Pens are sending to Pegula Arena at Penn St tonight. It's not like Berger didn't play 4 years of college hockey there. Not a class move by the team at all.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 08:02:59 PM »

Penguins playing a preseason game against Columbus tonight and so far what is standing out to me is the play of Galchenyuk. In a short time it looks like he has really good chemistry with Malkin and he is playing the left side on the power play where Kessel used to be. Has a really quick shot and scored a power play goal

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 03:40:43 AM »

Agree about Malkin and Galchenyk, but Tanev seemed like a fish out of water with them. I would probably try flipping him and McCann, who's also fast and defensively responsible and showed last season with Sid he's got the skill to play top 4 winger.

Missed the 3rd period, but the players who were most noticeable to me were Malkin, Bjugstand, Borkqvist, Legare, Marino, Guentzel, Gudbranson. Schultz still doesn't look quite right to me. Hornqvist looks fully recoverd. PO Joseph played better than I expected although he is skinny. Poulin and Legare appear very solidly built, not the Pens usual undersized wingers.

Let me add, Warsofsky is still a terrible defenseman.

Pens definitely look faster than last year, maybe hungrier, too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:52:19 AM by bfgrad »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »

During today's game, the broadcasters showed footage of Kasper Borqvist working out. He might not be the tallest guy, but he's solid and could be a bodybuilder if not for being a hockey player. He's been noticeable in both games vs CBJ as opposed to Kahun who's been mostly invisible.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »

During today's game, the broadcasters showed footage of Kasper Borqvist working out. He might not be the tallest guy, but he's solid and could be a bodybuilder if not for being a hockey player. He's been noticeable in both games vs CBJ as opposed to Kahun who's been mostly invisible.

I agree about Kahun. I thought he looked good against Buffalo but has been invisible these past two games

DeSmith played in goal the whole game yesterday and I thought he looked good. I would like to see more of Jarry today but I think no matter how well he plays he will be going back to Wilkes-Barre

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 06:07:43 PM »

Cuts getting down to 27 per Trib:

Forwards: Andrew Agozzino, Justin Almeida, Anthony Angello, Kasper Bjorkqvist, Joseph Blandisi, Joseph Cramarossa, Thomas Di Pauli, Ryan Haggerty, Sam Lafferty, Jake Lucchini, Sam Miletic, Oula Palve.

Defensemen: Niclas Almari, Kevin Czuczman, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, David Warsofsky.

Goaltender: Emil Larmi.

Agozzino, Blandisi, Cramarossa, Czuczman, Di Pauli, Haggerty and Warsofsky must clear waivers by noon on Tuesday before reporting to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Poulin and Legare both signed ELCs, but were returned to their junior teams.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 08:27:59 AM »

Cuts getting down to 27 per Trib:

Forwards: Andrew Agozzino, Justin Almeida, Anthony Angello, Kasper Bjorkqvist, Joseph Blandisi, Joseph Cramarossa, Thomas Di Pauli, Ryan Haggerty, Sam Lafferty, Jake Lucchini, Sam Miletic, Oula Palve.

Defensemen: Niclas Almari, Kevin Czuczman, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, David Warsofsky.

Goaltender: Emil Larmi.

Agozzino, Blandisi, Cramarossa, Czuczman, Di Pauli, Haggerty and Warsofsky must clear waivers by noon on Tuesday before reporting to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Poulin and Legare both signed ELCs, but were returned to their junior teams.

Defenseman Marino who was acquired from Edmonton made the cut. He has been playing really good this preseason and it may be too early to say this but he may grow into a nice replacement for Letang when his contract is up or maybe next season is Schultz moves on. What do you think bfgrad?

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 03:37:00 PM »

I think the more likely scenario is the Pens see Marino as a possible replacement for Schultz, who I believe is in his final season in Pgh. Both are puck-moving RD and Marino is 7 years younger. Ruhwedel is more a stop-gap RD when injuries hit.

I think Pens see Addison as Letang's eventual successor.

Gudbranson gives them a toughness they've lacked since Reeves was traded.

Schultz is a UFA after this season and either likely to move on then or be part of a trade during the season.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »

Report on NHL.com that GMJR is looking to trade either DeSmith or Jarry before the regular season all three goalies (including Murray) would have to clear waivers to be sent back down. They are also reporting that he is willing to trade other players like Rust, Johnson and Bjustad to stay under the cap. Season starts in a week so I guess we will see if anything happens

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 12:03:31 PM »

I realize that they want to recover value but losing DeSmith on waivers would not be the worst thing...that would be one way to free up cap room without moving Johnson (I realize that trading Johnson is most ideal, but it takes two to tango).

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2019, 11:31:58 PM »

I think they want to move DeSmith. The difference between his and Jarry's lower salary will get them under the cap, I believe. I read that there've been a lot of competent goalies waived so far and none have been claimed.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »

Buffalo brought their B team and A game. Pens dressed their A team, but brought their still asleep afternoon F game.

Is it just me or does Kahun look like a complete bust? I thought he was fast, but he looks like he's skating in sand. Kahun's the kind of return you get in salary dump trade, though, I suppose.

Tanev doesn't look much better although I think he's being forced into a top 6 forward slot where he doesn't belong. I'm not seeing the hitting, pesky game he's supposed to bring. He'd probably be better off with Bugjustad and Hornqvist and McCann moving to Crosby's other wing.

Don't like Petterssen and Schultz as a pair at all. There's nothing wrong with 3 competent pairs of d-men playing roughly equal minutes. Letang-Dumo, Schultz-Johnson, Petterssen-Gudbranson. If they like Marino enough, maybe Rutherford works a trade for Schultz, not JJ.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34