PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Question on discoloring of dog's fur  (Read 1519 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Question on discoloring of dog's fur
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »

Besides my other dogs, I have 2 toy poodles, 1 all white and 1 black with some white. both of those dogs get a brown discoloring on their white fur primarily around the mouth and feet. Has anyone else had this problem with their dogs and what was the reason for it? If you Google it it comes up as anything from allergies to cancer! And of course my vet wants a nice chunk of change just to see both of them

Any suggestions out there

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: Question on discoloring of dog's fur
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »

My neighbor has a little white dog that sometimes gets the same problem. The reason is, she eats her own doggie doo. So keep an eye on your dogs when they're out and doing their business. They may be doing the same thing. I know it's kind of gross, but once when watching "Dog Whisperer", Ceaser Milan said that sometimes dogs do this because they're lacking in something and eat their doo to replenish it. The owners whose dog was doing this started giving it a banana and the potassium or whatever else is in a banana was evidently what the dog was missing and it stopped.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 04:41:23 AM »

Thanks bfgrad. I'll keep an eye out for that.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 06:46:45 AM »

You could psbmail Kid Raven, too. He's a vet tech and might be able to suggest other possibilities.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »

You could psbmail Kid Raven, too. He's a vet tech and might be able to suggest other possibilities.

Thanks for that. I will definitely do that

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »

My neighbor has a little white dog that sometimes gets the same problem. The reason is, she eats her own doggie doo. So keep an eye on your dogs when they're out and doing their business. They may be doing the same thing. I know it's kind of gross, but once when watching "Dog Whisperer", Ceaser Milan said that sometimes dogs do this because they're lacking in something and eat their doo to replenish it. The owners whose dog was doing this started giving it a banana and the potassium or whatever else is in a banana was evidently what the dog was missing and it stopped.

They also eat their poo out of instinct. Dogs in wild did it to keep predators from knowing they were in the area.  Why dogs who live together will at times eat other dogs sample in their "pack."   It's more a bad habit like biting fingernails than anything now.  They sell a product called Copraban that usually helps. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1808-604 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 49 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »

Thanks for that. I will definitely do that

I sent you a PM!
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1808-604 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 49 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »

Thanks Kid, I got it. I appreciate the info

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame