PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Glass recycling  (Read 99 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Glass recycling
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:34:33 PM »

The other day when I took my glass jars down to the new glass recycling area at Brady's Run recycling center here in Beaver County, as I was placing my jars in the dumpster I noticed the vast majority of glass was empty beer and liquor bottles.

That must say something about Beaver Co, but I'm not sure what...  ;D

yepper

• All State
Re: Glass recycling
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 09:41:40 PM »

it has to be a dire situation for me to have a beer out of a can. Has to be a bottle.

almost all sodas now in cans or plastics. Only some still in bottles, Stewart's (sp) and my all time favorite Dr. Brown's Black Cherry. The Giant still carries the classic 7 oz. bottles of Coke but man are they expensive.

remember when that 7 or bottle was all you needed. now we have the 32 oz. and more Big Gulp!

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:14:14 PM »

Yepper, I'm with you.  Beer is meant to be consumed out of a glass bottle.  Can't remember the last time I've had a can.  Since I only drink coffee and water, along with the occasional beer, It's probably been a couple decades since I've had a soda!

emm8

• All State
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 06:28:11 PM »

The other day when I took my glass jars down to the new glass recycling area at Brady's Run recycling center here in Beaver County, as I was placing my jars in the dumpster I noticed the vast majority of glass was empty beer and liquor bottles.

That must say something about Beaver Co, but I'm not sure what...  ;D

Beaver County apparently has extremely responsible drinkers!

To think how many beers I've witnessed consumed at softball games and such, I can't recall many that were in bottles vs cans; and I couldn't envision any of the beer drinkers I know rounding up the glass empties for the recycle, even if they were in bottles.  That said, I always buy my beer in bottles, but wouldn't turn down the free can of beer offer...unless it was a "Lite/Light" beer!!!   :-[   ;D  And I have the figure to back that statement up.   ;)

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:20:38 PM »

I actually quit purchasing bottles and now buy cans because I donít feel like gathering them all up to take to recycle when I can just put cans in the weekly recycle pickup on the street.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 11:07:15 PM »

I actually quit purchasing bottles and now buy cans because I donít feel like gathering them all up to take to recycle when I can just put cans in the weekly recycle pickup on the street.

I wonder why some trash haulers will take glass for recycle and others don't.  Our guys take glass, plastic, metal, cardboard, paper, etc.  While my one son who lives a couple miles away and has a different trash company can't recycle glass. 

yepper

• All State
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 01:08:26 AM »

motto here is now 'When in doubt, throw it out'

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 06:31:57 AM »

It's the single stream recycling, DR. When recyclers started allowing customers to put all recyclables in one bin and then tossing everything in the recycling truck, the glass stuff often broke making the whole load contaminated. Then it just ended up in a landfill. If glass is put out in a seperate container, if would be fine.

But, it turned out people want to recycle glass and it's 100% recyclable. My trash hauler stopped taking glass back in Jan, but they didn't leave notices or send out mailers saying so. The county was lucky to have someone working in the dept that handles recycling who took the bull by the horns, found a glass recycler and set up a program to collect glass bottles and jars at the county recycling center. In contrast, when I contacted my state rep about the elimination of glass recycling, all I got was his "concern".  ::)

As for the beer/liquor bottles, there are 2 restaurants (w/bars) and a sports bar nearby. I suspect a good many of the bottles are from them.