PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Fourth of July eats!  (Read 167 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
Fourth of July eats!
« on: June 25, 2019, 10:22:31 AM »

With the 4th falling on a Thursday, it'll make for a nice long weekend of eating.  Twin Lakes Park in Greensburg has their famous annual Arts & Heritage Festival all next weekend, which is loaded with food booths.  Gyros, wraps, corn, sausages, crab cakes, shredded beef sandwiches, ribs, fried veggie baskets - even ethnic dinners like Paella, Stir Fry and Haluski are available - you name it, there's a booth selling it.

Not to mention all the cookouts at home with hot dogs, burgers, sausages.

My wife and I also love watching the July 4th fireworks on TV from Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Boston.

Enjoy your weekend next week everybody!

"there is a light that never goes out"

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
Re: Fourth of July eats!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 12:37:53 PM »

Regarding food I like to do ribs if I have time (I am off this year so I plan on doing them) and then something else either burgers or dogs and a cold side like macaroni salad or something like that. I don't do corn often anymore but maybe will grill some corn on the cob as well.

Regarding fireworks we do not partake mostly because my oldest son has Aspergers (high functioning Autism) and is very sensitive to loud noises. To be honest though I've always found fireworks to be one of the most overrated traditions anyways so I'm not missing anything in my mind haha.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 01:43:23 PM »

We definitely don't go to any fireworks displays either.  Or buy any.  But on July 4 evening, we do like turning off all the lights in the room around 8 PM and watching the concerts and fireworks on the big screen TV from Pittsburgh, Boston, NYC and Washington DC on all the different channels.  Good time of night to throw down a leftover dog, sausage or burger too!
"there is a light that never goes out"

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:23:43 PM »

Agree about the fireworks. I never understood the fascination with them.

I have to work nights every day next week so no fun in the sun for me but I think my wife will be making ribs, coleslaw and I'm sure for dessert a strawberry pretzel "salad"

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 09:05:18 PM »

Good point hs...with ribs I may do coleslaw as my cold item!

Nicky, I've never watched fireworks on tv. When I was a Pittsburgher my family would either go to Point State Park or to South Hills Village for their fireworks shows. With that said up here in Ohio I rented in a high rise apartment for a few years and lived on the 5th floor. From my balcony I was able to see numerous community fireworks shows at once from a distance, which was pretty neat. I've also heard that 4th of July fireworks are really neat to watch from above from an airplane. I believe that I flew on 7/3 once but never on 7/4 unfortunately. In adulthood watching from my balcony and a few Buccos fireworks nights are enough for me haha.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 09:24:28 PM »

One of the things I remember most about fireworks on the 4th is driving back from Disney World. We decided to leave right from Disney and just drive all night heading north. We left Disney early because bad storms basically shut down the park, so a number of hours later it was getting dark and we were starting up into some hills and it was neat seeing so many towns shooting off fireworks in the distance from up on ridges. So many places were shooting them off until late at night it seemed.
Basically, I don't care for fireworks, they were coming to us this night.
My one other big deal was attending an educational workshop being held at Valley Forge over the holiday.  A group of us drove into Philly and we wound up sitting on the 'Rocky steps' seeing  a great display in Philadelphia on the 4th of July.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:52:05 PM »

YIG you mean to tell me you never took part in the Caste Village fireworks festivities? Talk about a staple in Whitehall/Baldwin. Itís always the last Friday in June though.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 10:36:53 PM »

What I really hate are those jagoffs that keep setting of fireworks all week..day or night and making all the dogs go nuts.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »

YIG you mean to tell me you never took part in the Caste Village fireworks festivities? Talk about a staple in Whitehall/Baldwin. Itís always the last Friday in June though.

Yes I have. Forgor about that as well. WAY back the old Hill's in West Mifflin (where Big Lots is now) used to do fireworks as well. Back when that area was Hills Foodland and Busy Beaver.