PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Woodstock 50 years on the radio  (Read 148 times)

yepper

• All State
Woodstock 50 years on the radio
« on: August 08, 2019, 09:24:17 PM »

50th anniversary of Woodstock coming up. XPN is going to broadcast the set lists with stage announcement starting about 5 Friday (Richie Havens) and ending with Jimi sometime Sunday.

was not there and was not close to going there. know a couple of people who were there. should be interesting.

http://www.xpn.org/

emm8

• All State
Re: Woodstock 50 years on the radio
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:18:03 PM »

was not there and was not close to going there.

Same here...only 14 at the time.  That said, two nights ago on my local Erie PBS affiliate, there was an episode of the "American Experience" series on Woodstock.  The series is in its' 31st season on PBS, and will probably be re-aired a time or two in the coming weeks.  It can also, most likely, be viewed online, provided you're willing to sign up for the free PBS account.  I've watched episodes of Frontline and Austin City Limits this way before, after they stop airing the shows on the local network.  This particular episode, I can almost assure you, is primarily the footage and interviews that were cut from the original iconic movie version of "Woodstock" the movie that was released back in the 70's.  Trust me, it's fantastic!  There is some overlap, in that, there are small snippets that were included in this follow up edition, that were also in the original movie; but for the most part there are just more behind the scenes stuff that I'm guessing the original director had to cut out to keep the movie from exceeding 4 hours.  The only downside was that, unlike the movie, there really isn't any music in it.  There are the same performers like Hendrix, Havens, Santana, Country Joe, CSN, Cocker, Joan Baez (and more) that show up on stage, but it didn't show more than 10 to 15 seconds of their actual performances.  Most of these shorts are also being narrated over simultaneously.  So if you're looking to hear the music, you'll be disappointed.  If you're interested in the behind the scenes preparations (the trials and tribulations) that went into getting this concert/festival off the ground, the mood of the country at that time...the anti-war movement and political backdrop pervasive in the late 60's/70's, you'll enjoy it as much as I did.  I watch the movie about every 3 or 4 years, mainly for the music...such as Alvin Lee, and Ten Years After jamming out on "I'm goin' home", or Country Joe and the Fish singing "And it's 1-2-3 what are we fightin' for?  Don't ask me I don't give a damn.  Next stop is Vietnam...".  Great stuff.  Look for it, if you've any interest in the 60's political climate, and historical significance, or only the festival itself.  It's about a 1 hour and 45 minute show with no commercials, even though it is listed as a 2 hour block of time on the TV guide.  Let me know your thoughts, should you run across it, and decide to watch.  Well worth it from my perspective.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:22:23 PM by emm8 »

yepper

• All State
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »

thanks for the info, I'll be on the lookout for it. I was 18 at the time.

have the music on reel to reel tape, remember that?

false start , this doesn't happen until next Thursday

https://thekey.xpn.org/2019/08/08/xpn-presents-woodstock/

THIS STARTS THURSDAY AUGUST 15
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:01:16 PM by yepper »

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

yepper

• All State
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 09:24:55 AM »

at 5:07 P. M. Richie Havens live onstage, until then music of 1969.

yepper

• All State
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 12:31:58 AM »

random thoughts

Richie Havens did not play for 3-4 hours as legend suggested. Maybe just a long set.

Country Joe thought he was the second band on the first day. He had to hear the tapes to be convinced he was the second band on the second day.

Still can't stand Melanie's voice.

Arlo was on something! No surprise! 'The New York Thruway is closed man!'

Santana playing Soul Sacrifice during their set has to be one of the greatest live performances ever. Made for playing loud with the car window done. And I did! Two o'clock on a Friday!

Still love John Sebastian!

Still do not like the Dead.

didn't roll out of bed Sat. A. M. in time to hear the Jefferson Airplane do their version of Volunteers.

caught some of C.C.R. early Sunday (12:30 A. M.) Apparently Fogarty would not release the rights to the songs for the movie or album.

definitely missed Janis (Sat. 2 A. M. ), Sly (3:30 A. M.) & the Who (5 A. M.) who plays at 3:30 in the morning?

Love Joe Cocker

Caught some of the Band & Ten Years After. Great!

Missed those Sunday A. M. Blood Sweat & Tears (1:30) & Crosby, Stills, Nash & yes Young (3) was there.

Got some Sha Na Na but I did miss Hendrix. Apparently by the time Hendrix played, most had left and he played before maybe 'only' 20,000 drenched souls.

liked listening to the stage announcements. seeing the evolution of the event.

Another great event on XPN!