PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Croce plays Croce  (Read 19 times)

yepper

• All State
Croce plays Croce
« on: June 01, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »

@ Capital Theater in York

$34 for my ticket

A. J. Croce played his material interspersed with a generous dose of his father's songs.

For some reason I sort of expected a solo guitar but he had a three piece band behind him. Bass player he picked up in New Orleans and had played for Dr. John among others. Drummer played for Steve Miller and on the Van Morrison Moondance album. This album is in my Desert Island collection. Additional very good guitar player on stage. He played piano and guitar. His material showed a heavy New Orleans influence from the likes of Leon Russell and Allen Toussaint. Lots of old time boogie woogie piano playing.

Entertained the crowd with stories and background in between songs. Played for about 1:45.

Encore song was Time in a Bottle which he said was written about and for him. Started with an empty mic with a spotlight. First verse was the Jim Croce version. A. J. & band finished the song. Fitting tribute and ending for a show well done. Money well spent!

Note: Wikipedia said that Croce died in an airplane crash in Sept. of '73. He was increasingly becoming homesick while on tour. Graduated from Upper Darby and Villinova.