PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Big 33 Game  (Read 69 times)

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Big 33 Game
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »

Just saw it's tomorrow at 2 PM at CD.  Zero local coverage.  If I didn't happen to see a small article in the Patriot News, I'd have never known about it.  Very sad for this once great game.  It is on TV in the Harrisburg area on CBS 3.  That's channel 15 on Verizon and I think 13 on Comcast.   Just checked ticket prices and they range from $15 to $20.  I'd be willing to bet that will kill the crowd.  Time to let this old classic go.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:06:55 PM by Downriver »

coach99

• Hall of Fame
Re: Big 33 Game
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »

wow...I have heard nothing about this game here in Pittsburgh area.  I know most of the all -star games that were once played around here have given up the ghost.  I worked for a lot of years with Mickey on the Big 33 with the coaches association.  Meeting in Altoona and Johnstown and State College and Hershey.  A lot of trips out Rte 22..had it down pat to the meetings in State College.  From my drive way...50 miles to Blairsville...100 to Altoona...and 150 to the Elby's in State College. :)   Even avoided stopping at the strip joints and adult stores along the way :)    I am to the point where so many of the coaches I got to know around the state have passed away..always afraid to look at the obits anymore in case I am in there. I guess those guys along with Mickey were the heart and soul of the game. Working with Jim Christ to put the best team on the field each year.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 11:09:19 PM »

I hear you coach.  I've been to so many funerals the past couple years, it gets depressing.  Just had a memorial service for my old high school coach, Don Gilbert.  Managed to stay in touch with him for the past 55 years which was great.  Also, my old wrestling coach showed up, he was the head assistant football coach as well.  This guy is 85 years old and rode in on his Harley!  Gotta love those ex-Marines. 

BTW, I looked at the lineups for PA and Maryland and there is some serious firepower on both teams, so it should be an entertaining game.  I won't pay $20 to go, but I will watch it on TV. 

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »

PA up 14-0 at the half.  I was wrong about the crowd.  PA side is full and Maryland has a good crowd too.  Probably 7-8,000 in the stands.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 06:32:11 PM »

Final 21-0 PA.  Maryland had no answer for the four wideouts from Aliquippa, McDevitt, Harrisburg and Imhotep.  PA was just throwing the ball up and these four were making spectacular catches.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:46:28 PM by Downriver »