PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Best Hot Dogs?  (Read 52 times)

coach99

• Hall of Fame
Best Hot Dogs?
« on: May 02, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »

We probably did this one other time in some version of the Sports Board, but I was wondering about where you can purchase the 'best' hot dog in town. Back in the day, I loved the dogs from the "Original"  ( dirty O) in Oakland by Pitt. Have not had one in many years, however. When going up to Blackhawk for their Xmas Tourny...would always stop in at the New Brighton Hot Dog Shop. I can of felt they were a bit over rated though. Been awhile since I have tasted a Coney Island chili hot dog from New Castle, too. (Surprisingly, one of best chili cheese dogs I ever ate was at Mortorelli Stadium at a North Hills football game!) For grilling at home..I always buy Smith's Natural Casing dogs and let them burst open.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
Re: Best Hot Dogs?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »

D’s Six Pack and Dogz on South Braddock Ave in Regent Square has some good specialty dogs. In November they have the “Franksgiving” which has turkey gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing on a turkey hot dog.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:10:02 AM »

Cincinnati style (Cincinnati style chili, cheese, mustard, and onion). The cheese is a full fistfull it is ridiculous.

Otherwise, I'm pretty simple on hot dogs. Don't need anything really special (I would usually buy all beef but even then it can be Ball Park, Oscar Meyer, Hebrew National,etc) but nearly any hotdog so long as it is grilled is delicious. Just yellow mustard or Cleveland Stadium mustard suffices as the only topping. My wife is currently soy free because she is nursing and our baby has a soy allergy...Hebrew National uncured has been our go to in recent weeks and will be for the rest of the grilling season!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:17:20 AM by yannessa_is_god »

yepper

• All State
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »

used to sell Sechrist brand, a real good hot dog at Dallastown High School.

some one made the executive decision to change to the cheapest ones available

haven't had one since. grew up on Hebrew National!

around here we have what is called Texas Hot Weiners. Grilled open faced and then slathered with onions and chili. Stop there a couple of times a year on league games to Southwestern & Spring Grove. Would bring a couple of carry outs for our coaches. Really stunk up the car! After those, it was sort of like eating a heavy garlic Itialian meal, it would just sort of ooze from your every pore!

on a side note, boyshoopsfan used to bring some onions for me when he knew I was coming to Dallastown. much appreciated.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 10:41:00 AM »

You mentioned "Texas hot dogs".  That reminded me of my numerous trips to Penn State for coaching business and before they finished up the big highway and I would have to use the local highway. Outside of Altoona area along the road up to PS (220?) there was a big white roadside building that sold Texas hot dogs that would hold me over for the next 50 miles to Happy Valley. That place sort of sat by itself and they had funny hours, so not always open when I would be going by.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »

I’ve always thought the best tasting hot dogs around are the ones you get from Sams Club and Costco. And only $1.50 for a Nathan’s hot dog and a drink can’t be beat!

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »

Texas Hot Dog place in Altoona was AWESOME!  They had a counter to sit at (like a diner) but also a dining room as well.  Great place. 

Personally, I'm not into all beef hot dogs.  My favs to cook at home, without a doubt, are Smiths natural casing dogs. 
"there is a light that never goes out"