PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Pens off-season discussion  (Read 933 times)

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pens off-season discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 01:29:49 PM »

Especially considering that Kessel is still a value with TML eating some of his salary.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 04:14:43 PM »

Kessel not going to Minnesota as his no trade clause was apparently used as he doesn’t think Wild are contenders.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1788-601 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 48 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 06:50:51 PM »

Pens sign 22 yr old Finnish goalie to 2 yr ELC per PG:

The Penguins have again looked to the Liiga to bolster their organizational depth, signing 22-year-old goalie Emil Larmi from the top pro league in Finland.

The team announced Sunday that Larmi had signed a two-year, entry-level deal. The contract has an average annual value of $700,000 at the NHL level.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »

Flyers make another nice move. Gudas to Washington for Niskennen straight up. Salary dump by Washington but I'm still shocked that they sent him to a division rival with veey little upside in return.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 04:27:51 PM »

Flyers make another nice move. Gudas to Washington for Niskennen straight up. Salary dump by Washington but I'm still shocked that they sent him to a division rival with veey little upside in return.

Small or not, a lot of teams are making moves and the Penguins I fear are gonna be left in the dust. GMJR is now stating that Kessel will not be traded.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »

Pens trade Maata to Chicago for Kahun and 5th round pick.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2019, 09:48:53 PM »

Pens trade Maata to Chicago for Kahun and 5th round pick.

Just looking at it from the outside, I'm not happy with this trade at all. Kahun is in the final year of his rookie contract and is on 5' 11" and 175 pounds. Looks like Sullivan got another Simon he can put in the lineup!

IMO, GMJR should've gotten more for Maatta. An established defenseman with 2 rings and still young. Chicago got the better of this deal

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »

Chicago fans are going nuts on twitter as they feel they got fleeced.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2019, 02:51:51 AM »

This was mostly a salary dump by GMJR. I'm sure Maatta will do just fine in Chicago. Don't know anything about Kahun, seems like a utility forward ala Brian Rust.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2019, 08:04:58 AM »

I just honestly don't k ow what Maata's value really is. I'm not saying you specifically hs (because I honestly don't recall you being a vocal Maata supporter or detractor either way) but the same Pens fans who grumped about his play for the better part of three years and were losing their minds when he played in game 1 vs NYI instead of Jack Johnson of all players are the same ones ripping the trade as not getting enough back when practically his value was lower than ever just 9 weeks ago.

I don't love or hate the trade. I'm with KR on the salary dump part. With that said I understand Pens' fans nostalgia with him (the Pens historically do not develop Dmen from draft up very well...Letang is the rare exception, but most star dmen the Pens have acquired via trade (Carlyle, Coffey, Murphy, Ulf, Zubov, Hatcher, Kasparaitis, Tarnstrom, Gonchar), and others that they do develop leave (Orpik, Gologoski, Ference, Rosival) and have varying levels of success. So there is just something frustrating for Pens fans that remember Maata as a phenom of sorts a few years back and have seen injury and illness ultimately interrupt his development. I would be more for keeping Maata, but if they make good use of the salary it can be a good trade. At least this is GMJR/Burkle/Lemieux that we are talking about and not team Nutting lol.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »

I was an am a Maatta fan. It's honestly to me looks like the Penguin fans are treating Maatta almost like they treated Fleury to a lesser extent. They complete forget all the good Maatta has done and just remember the few mistakes. To complain that Maatta started over Johnson was laughable and showed me just how a lot of Pens fans are. The same vocal minority that wanted to start Johnson over Maatta in that Game 1 will be the same fans that will be standing up and cheering when he comes back to town and they do a video tribute for him just like the fans did for Fleury   

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2019, 09:06:46 PM »

I think it was very prudent of Rutherford to disclose that they tried to trade Kessel but he exercised his no trade clause to veto it. Now they can move on and there is no elephant in the room. Something like that can cause lots of dissension if it was leaked by another source or during the season.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »

Hs agreed completely! Pens fans can flat out ridiculous haha.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2019, 02:50:39 PM »

NHL draft starts tonight! Anybody think the Pens will pull off any significant trades? Kessel, Letang, Rust, Schultz, Johnson and Hornqvist have been in and out of the trade block rumor mill this week. Pens also have the 21st pick. Any chance GMJR trades that away?

I'm just hoping the Pens do something significant in the next week or so. Trading Kessel or Letang will make me very happy. I don't think Hornqvist or Johnson are going anywhere. Contracts are too pricey IMO. I also think it would be a bad idea to trade Schultz. I know this is the last year of his contract but I think they should push to get rid of Letang and resign Schultz.

Any other thoughts???

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »

I'm not sure they'll be trading any D-men since they moved Maatta to Chi. That seems to have cleared up the backlog. Letang isn't going anywhere. Like Crosby and Malkin, he is a Penguin for life. Hornqvist is an interesting case. He had a down year last year plus the injuries, but his compete level is off the charts, maybe even better than Crosby's. At 32, Hornqvist should be an effective 3rd liner, but finding the right center for him is the issue. Maybe Bjugstad is the anwer, but if the Pens don't think they have that center who works down low and can take advantage of Hornqvist's skill set, maybe he is traded. Now that they have Kahun, maybe that makes Rust expendable, but Rust fits the fast and versatile profile Sullivan seems to like. I doubt Schultz will re-sign with the Pens, but, ironically, he's in the same spot he was the Pens traded for him, a d-man on an expiring contract with something to prove. When he first arrived, it was his dismal career in Edm, now it's if he's fully recovered from the ankle injury. If Schultz is playing well, I could see a mid-season/trade deadline trade where the Pens have to decide if they want to clear cap space to re-sign Schultz or they realize he won't re-sign and they trade him. If they want to try to keep Schultz, JJ might be the salary they move even if for minimal return.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7