PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baseball 2019  (Read 766 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Baseball 2019
« on: March 28, 2019, 03:52:32 PM »

I checked out BF yesterday afternoon at Tiger Field vs Blackhawk. To my surprise, Tigers won 5-4. Daylin Brickner started off the season with a lead-off HR to RF that hit the top of the 16' fence and bounced over. Cam Kern started and pitched generally well. Tigers look pretty solid as Rowe's teaching fundamental baseball is showing results now. BF will be relying on seniors Brickner, Kern, Garrett, Whippo and Woodley. They seem ok defensively although Woodley is pretty much a disaster at ss and hopefully won't play there again. If he does, his inability to field grounders will cost BF otherwise winnable games.

Tigers are 2-1 so far with an opening game loss to Neshannock, then wins of Rochester and Blackhawk. They have another test this afternoon against Riverside.

I chatted with Hopewell's scout for a few minutes. Said I was surprised Hopewell was AAA not 4A. He said Hopewell graduated 140 kids last year. Wow... He thinks North Cath and SSA will be the teams to beat. Hopewell has a good baseball tradition and feeder program, but they did have significant graduation losses including their top pitcher, Joe Ross (now at Ohio U).

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: Baseball 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »

I checked out BF yesterday afternoon at Tiger Field vs Blackhawk. To my surprise, Tigers won 5-4. Daylin Brickner started off the season with a lead-off HR to RF that hit the top of the 16' fence and bounced over. Cam Kern started and pitched generally well. Tigers look pretty solid as Rowe's teaching fundamental baseball is showing results now. BF will be relying on seniors Brickner, Kern, Garrett, Whippo and Woodley. They seem ok defensively although Woodley is pretty much a disaster at ss and hopefully won't play there again. If he does, his inability to field grounders will cost BF otherwise winnable games.

Tigers are 2-1 so far with an opening game loss to Neshannock, then wins of Rochester and Blackhawk. They have another test this afternoon against Riverside.

I chatted with Hopewell's scout for a few minutes. Said I was surprised Hopewell was AAA not 4A. He said Hopewell graduated 140 kids last year. Wow... He thinks North Cath and SSA will be the teams to beat. Hopewell has a good baseball tradition and feeder program, but they did have significant graduation losses including their top pitcher, Joe Ross (now at Ohio U).

That's really low. I'm surprised to hear that

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »

I was wondering how man artificial turf fields are available for baseball around the WPIAL?

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 06:15:43 PM »

I usually check out the enrollment figures for the Beaver county schools at the BVIU website. A few years ago, I noticed Hopewell's enrollment pretty much falling off a cliff. I really don't know why because it's one of the better school districts in the county. The scout's exact quote to me was "Who wants to live in Hopewell? There's nothing there.". I would expect if the enrollment decline continues, there'll have to be serious discussion about finally merging with Aliquippa. At least Hopewell would get a good football team out of it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:17:15 PM by bfgrad »

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:34:54 AM »

Hopewell only has around 22 kids in there team. They donít have a true #1 arm this year, but rather a bunch of #2s. Probably means youíll see them hit a little better than years past so Iíd imagine their offensive philosophy goes from conservative to ultra aggressive quickly.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »

I usually check out the enrollment figures for the Beaver county schools at the BVIU website. A few years ago, I noticed Hopewell's enrollment pretty much falling off a cliff. I really don't know why because it's one of the better school districts in the county. The scout's exact quote to me was "Who wants to live in Hopewell? There's nothing there.". I would expect if the enrollment decline continues, there'll have to be serious discussion about finally merging with Aliquippa. At least Hopewell would get a good football team out of it.

I couldn't agree more. Running joke in this township is that it is the land of pizza shops and dollar stores. Pretty bad when everyone gets excited when a McDonalds goes in. But we can thank a former township commissioner for nothing being here. Target wanted to go in the Green Garden Plaza and that was blocked. And several restaurants wanted to go in where the Hopewell Business Park is and they blocked that also. Anytime a restaurant wants to go in anywhere in Hopewell or close by Harold's Inn gets all up in arms and pitches a fit and for some reason the commissioners bow to her and that place has gone downhill quick

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »

I like Haroldís! Best chicken around.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 09:35:19 PM »

Animus

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »

My nephew pitched two scoreless innings for Brashear against Canon Mac today. He's just a fresh so I hope he continues his progress.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 08:46:44 AM »

In 3A, Beaver Falls upset # 1 Hopewell 5-1 at Tiger Field. Cam Kern pitched a complete game, giving up 1 run on 5 hits with 7 Ks.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »

In another surprising development, Riverside, a perenniel baseball power, is 2-4 in 2A section play.

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 11:20:18 PM »

In 3A, Beaver Falls upset # 1 Hopewell 5-1 at Tiger Field. Cam Kern pitched a complete game, giving up 1 run on 5 hits with 7 Ks.

Thats a nice win.  3A is wide open IMO. There is no true horse on the mound which could make for a fun tournament.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 08:19:38 AM »

In 3A, section 2, Hopewell and NB have clinched playoff spots. The bottom 2 spots are still fluid. Right now, BF is 3rd at 4-4, NC 4th at 3-4, EC 5th at 4-6 and Freedom 6th at 3-5. Tigers have 4 games left, 2 at home, 2 away, but the home games are against NC and Freedom, both giving BF a chance to split the season games with each team. If they can win those and beat SSA this afternoon, they should be in good shape to make the playoffs.

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 01:30:31 AM »

It's being reported that Beaver Falls threw  an illegal pitcher in the 7th inning of their 5-1 win over Hopewell.  Apparently he threw a pitch over 100 so its been submitted to the PIAA and will likely be a 7-0 forfeit win for Hopewell instead.  This is the 3rd instance in the WPIAL so far this season.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 07:12:15 AM »

Yes, Kern pitched a complete game, but apparently went over 100 pitches with 2 out in the top of the 7th. Bires reported in the Times that at least one ump thought the pitch limit was 105, which is the new rule for playoff games. BF reported themselves, which was the right thing to do even though this loss will likely mean they'll miss the playoffs.

That said, this is is a ridiculous rule, imho, given that a high school pitcher is already limited in how many innings he can pitch in a week and how many days off he must get depending on how many innings pitched. Then you have the provision that a pitcher can finish pitching to a hitter if he starts the a/b at fewer than 100 pitches. I get the idea that somehow limiting pitches is preventing injuries, but I honestly doubt that premiss. For example, just look at how the Pirates baby and have babied Jameson Taillon limiting pitches and innings and he still needed TJ surgery and now has an flexor injury that will keep him out for a month or longer. The thing that would really prevent injuries is for kids to learn to pitch (up, down, inside, outside) instead of just trying to throw as hard as they can.
Pages: [1] 2