PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Baseball 2019  (Read 772 times)

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
Re: Baseball 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »

bfgrad, I don't believe there is any more INNINGS limitations.

The pitching restriction rules are all PITCH based.

How many pitches you throw dictate how many days rest are required.

There are GAME limits (100/game) and WEEK limits (200/week).

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »

I don't know, Bob, I think that pitch counts probably aren't the panacea to arm problems. At the prep level, the innings and rest rule might just be better. If a pitcher is throwing a lot of pitches either because the opponent is getting hits or the pitcher is wild, the coach isn't going to leave him in for very long anyway.

I think there is too much emphasis on throwing hard rather than actually learning to pitch. I still remember when BF was a surprise winner of the 2007 (?) Beaver Co Legion. BF Legion knocked out Hopewell and one of the wins was a game pitched by Brandon Rue, who wasn't a pitcher first and didn't throw hard, where Rue just put pitches all game on the outside corner at the knees. Hopewell's hitters were helpless.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »

bfgrad, I wasn't advocating one or the other.

PONY League has also gone to pitch count instead of innings to trigger rest requirements.

Hard throwing is what gets you noticed.  THAT'S why emphasis is put on throwing hard. PERIOD.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 02:28:38 PM »

I know, Bob. Muscling up on everything is the thing to do for HS kids. Every parent thinks their kid is next big bonus baby, but the odds aren't with them. Even as dominant as Brendan McKay was, he's only in AA at age 23.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 02:25:56 AM »

And watching these young kids trying to throw curve balls is ridiculous also. Too much strain on the arm IMO. Like you said, teach these kids how to locate their pitchers and they would be much better off

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »

Second year in a row for a Fayette County Team to make a WPIAL Final.  Brownsville won a Title last year and LH has a chance this year.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1788-601 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 48 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 11:30:41 PM »

Second year in a row for a Fayette County Team to make a WPIAL Final.  Brownsville won a Title last year and LH has a chance this year.

I'll root for Coach DeBerry a thousand times over.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 03:41:05 PM »

Really sad only 6 American Legion teams are left in Beaver County after Amb/Baden/Economy folded during the season.

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 06:16:01 AM »

Really sad only 6 American Legion teams are left in Beaver County after Amb/Baden/Economy folded during the season.

Its far worse in the Allegheny County. Legion is on its last legs. When I played, we had 4 leagues that had 10 teams each. Each league would send 4 representatives to the Allegheny County Playoffs. Then wed take multiple reps and move on to the Region tournament.

Now I think there might be one or two leagues left in Allegheny County. I know the south has one, but not sure if they do in the east.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »

Not surprising baseball has fallen off. Around here, the various recreation teams, etc start up in rainy April and rush through the season that ends in June. A lot of kids in t-ball and that, but seems the numbers drop off each level as many of the same parents get tired of doing all the work and others just don't get involved.  Then, out of the fewer teams, 'traveling' teams take a group and this smaller group then plays on another few weeks. From what I see, most fields sit empty all summer.  I don't even see the softball leagues with young adults playing anymore. Go by those fields and the lights are burning, but nobody there.  Maybe I am just not looking in the right places.

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »

Hopewell coach resigning citing a want to spend more time with his kids.   Good program that has somehow not won a title in the last few years despite having some good teams.  They should of beat Steel Valley this year. Years past I can forgive since it was the Rock Show and not much else around him.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 07:31:03 PM »

A few years ago BF did not field a Legion team because they couldn't guarantee the local Post they'd have enough kids for each game, but did the next year up until this year. The last few years they've fielded a combined team with BF, Rochester and a Freedom kid or two. Last year BF combined with Riverside and Rochester. But this year, apparently BF couldn't not even field a team with kids from Riverside, which is a perenniel baseball power. They did manage to field a Colt team, though. It's a shame because Tiger Field is the nicest baseball field in the county.

These travelling teams seem to be taking the best players and the seniors seem uninterested in playing once the HS season ends.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »

Rowe not knowing Kern's count or purposely trying to get over(whichever it was) was unacceptable

Very disappointed in this past season. Expected more from them in Brickner and Kern's senior year

Brickner got a scholarship at YSU to play as a Wide receiver/returner on the football team and outfielder on baseball team. He'll probably make an impact for both right away, they definitely expect him to contribute right away for baseball

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 06:41:53 PM »

there is a sandlot league in Youngstown that a lot of the better players in the county play in. I think that had a lot to do with Colts and Legion teams struggling to field teams.

Hopewell still showed up in the semis, I think they lost to Hempfield. I watched the champ game on pcn a week or so ago. probably taped. East team won
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 06:44:36 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »
Pages: 1 [2]