PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Buddy Valinsky resigns.  (Read 709 times)

City League Advocate

• Cum Dracone et Draco Semper
  • Administrator
  • All State
  • Sorry, I'm full up on Goddesses.
    • The Moonlight Scribbler
Buddy Valinsky resigns.
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »

The architect of Allderdice's six straight City Championships and numerous PIAA playoff campaigns including appearing in the 6A state finals in 2016, Buddy Valinsky has resigned as the Allderdice basketball coach. He is resigning because he wants to take a shot in the WPIAL. According to the PG, he was hoping that the City would eventually join the WPIAL, but now he wants to cross over to the dark side. He's interested in coaching at 5A or 6A and has said he'd be interested in the Central Catholic job should it become available. Tell you right now, any school that gets him will become an instant contender in the WPIAL and PIAA playoffs. Valinsky leaves the Dice with a 223-97 record over two terms and 12 years at Allderdice.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:35:36 PM by City League Advocate »

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
Re: Buddy Valinsky resigns.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »

Central is open and I have long thought the only thing holding them back was their coaching.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »

We talked early in the broadcast Wednesday that I'd heard he was leaving Allderdice for Central Catholic.

Speaking of that game, how about DEADSPIN calling Mt. Lebanon "cowardly" for sitting on the ball with the lead....
https://deadspin.com/cowardly-high-school-team-bleeds-over-two-minutes-off-c-1833301164

I'm sorry.  It's a clearly legal play.  There is not now, nor in the foreseeable future going to be a HS shot clock.
Allderdice could have ended it immediately by doing what they did 2:20 into the freeze.  Come out and guard.
Nothing cowardly about it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:15:52 AM by Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio »

Husky68

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »

Bob, as usual, you're right on.  We all want to see action when we go to games and in that situation it's on the defense to force that action.  The defensive team has to make a choice and live with the results.  Having said that, I would really like to see a shot clock, which is something I never thought I'd say.  However after seeing a number of games in states that have the clock I think it makes for a better games because as soon as a team gets the ball they know they have a limited amount of time to run an offense and get a shot, as opposed to standing outside holding the ball while waiting for a defender to fall asleep or get a phone call.  You're also right on in that most of us won't be around to see a shot clock in PA, assuming it ever comes.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 07:26:32 PM »

In 2002 Uniontown was #1 team in the PIAA and was playing a section game at Trinity.  The Hillers employed a triangle and 2 defense and Uniontown coach Dave Shuck hated teams playing junk defense.  Uniontown had a lead like 21-10 or something along those lines after 1 quarter, so he had his player hold the ball the entire second quarter.  The UT player just stood inside the half court line with the ball on his hip for over 7 minutes of a running clock.

The crowd was booing like crazy and I sat in my seat and loved it.  It was a battle of wills and neither head coach would budge.  Uniontown went into their offense in the final seconds and were fouled.  Made the free throws and that was the half.

Trinity came out with a man to man defense the second half and Uniontown rolled to 62-31 win. 

Shuck was quite content holding the ball to force the defense and if not, then he would take his road section win with little trouble.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1788-601 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 48 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 11:23:33 PM »

We did the same thing against Mohawk in 2002.  It was a 1 possession game, we were in foul trouble.  With about 5 or 6 minutes left, we just stood out by half court with the ball.  We burned the clock down to under a minute.  Took the lead 55-53.  Mohawk got an open look from the corner, I believe Shawn Carr.  Missed it.  We won 55-53. We would go on to win the WPIAL title over Beaver Falls, and lose in the State Finals to Gerry McNamara led Bishop Hannan squad 70-68.   I think McNamara had like 50 against Trinity in the game before the State Title Game or else we could of had 3 years in a row of the Camp Hill Trinity/Sto-Rox AA State Finals in 02, 03 and 04

I'd of imagined had we lost that game, using follow the leader, South Fayette would of beaten Mohawk and BF claims a WPIAL title thus eliminating us from the 02 State Playoffs.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:25:28 PM by OprtnShtdwn »

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:59:47 AM »

Central is open and I have long thought the only thing holding them back was their coaching.

Buddy’s name is top of the list for the Central job according to most. Coaching may have held Central back some years, but their style also won them a lot of games in years when they essentially played with four guards and a forward and were less talented than some other teams. I’d also point out that the decline in Catholic grade school basketball has been steep recently. School closings have caused lots of good long-time coaches out of coaching, so Central is getting less than half (at best) the kids they used to who are solid, fundamental players.

If they are to win at a higher level than Crummie did for the past 4 decades, they will have to attract better players. Crummie won 17 games a year for 39 years with the kids who grew up in the Catholic grade school league. Those days are gone if they are to compete at the 6A level.

SJ

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 11:13:56 PM »

Central hired Brian Urso, who was the director of basketball administration at Robert Morris

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 05:22:24 PM »

Weird hire for Central with Valinsky and Walther from Serra available. Urso looks ok, but he is also going to keep his job at RMU. Seems strange to split the baby like that. Director of Basketball Ops (or "Admin" at RMU) seems like the kind of job someone won't be able to cut in half to be a head high school coach. How is that going to work? Kyle Goldcamp hired as an assistant and he works at CC, so that's a plus. Central's programs work better with someone on staff who is a grad or is in the building all day. Tim McConnell was on the hiring committee, which is also odd. Does he have any ties to Central? From the clumsy firing of Crummie (and I know there are two sides to every story, but a four decade coach/teacher/administrator with 650+ wins deserves for the principal to be in town for the meeting in which he is going to be canned), to this hire, it's all been very odd. At least maybe now they will play some zone defense if it is warranted!

SJ

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 09:04:07 AM »

Not real fond of the direction things are going in at Central. Less than a month into the job and this happens? I don't know any details, but it's certainly not a good start for Urso.

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/wpial-wants-to-hear-from-2-basketball-coaches-facing-recruiting-allegations/

SJ

City League Advocate

• Cum Dracone et Draco Semper
  • Administrator
  • All State
  • Sorry, I'm full up on Goddesses.
    • The Moonlight Scribbler
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:56:57 PM by City League Advocate »

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity