PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Urso / PCC Basketball  (Read 514 times)

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity
Re: Urso / PCC Basketball
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »

emm8, good points, especially about "Opportunity Scholarship" thing. But I'm still disappointed in the way the whole Crummie thing went down, even though I know Coach Crummie had some part in forcing their hand. It was still handled poorly. A lot of this makes no sense and is a real departure from the way things have been done at Central over the years.

Also, the Urso hire is suspect. Tim McConnell on the interviewing committee is suspect. He is a great coach, but he has no affiliation whatsoever with the institution, it's traditions, and has no stake in what goes on in the school. Then his son ends up on the staff after they hire Urso, who was not the best candidate, by any measuring stick.

"Crummie didn't win the WPIAL except once...they played a style that doesn't win big games. If his son takes over it's more of the same..." I understand peoples' frustrations, but not once in 39 years did Coach Crummie's teams ever do anything but represent the character and traditions of the school in the absolute best light. As AD, Crummie also navigated the waters of being the largest private school in the district with a giant spotlight and bull's eye on it at all times very well, especially in matters dealing with the WPIAL and PIAA. No significant issues, and far less issues than a lot of public school.

This whole situation, shows me at best that the principal, one other vice-principal and the AD either don't care about the public perception, didn't do their due diligence on WPIAL rules, or both. It might be worse than that, but I'll reserve judgment until this all folds out. Regardless of whether it is inexperience, stubbornness, a sense of being above it all or a little of all of those things, it's not how the athletic department has been run at Central in the past and it's not a good look for the school. It's sad.

SJ

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 10:45:57 PM »

Crummie always seemed like a good guy who did things the right way from an outsider.

Thought he was a lousy coach. Never made an adjustment in his career. Played way too many kids and lineups so any talent he had never got a chance to gel.

But Id take him over somebody who was a better coach in the game but compromised the program any day.

emm8

• All State
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »

Crummie always seemed like a good guy who did things the right way from an outsider.

Thought he was a lousy coach. Never made an adjustment in his career. Played way too many kids and lineups so any talent he had never got a chance to gel.

But Id take him over somebody who was a better coach in the game but compromised the program any day.

Exactly my take on all counts.  Virtuous...but damn frustrating as well!   ::)

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »

I can't argue with the frustration, but certain things should be above that at Central and things seem to have unraveled quickly.

SJ
Pages: 1 [2]