PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Crabbers computer issues  (Read 1292 times)

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: Crabbers computer issues
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 03:20:03 PM »

Ha Ha, got to do something to keep busy. When I saw crabber at the Lasalle game I knew something was bothering him so we got into a conversation about his new digs and he was bummed his computer was down. This is where we come in. I called the home, and of course the young lady at the desk was clueless about wifi and LAN (she knew cellphones though). Spoke with Crabber and he said he thinks they have a wall hookup for LAN.
DR, if you can do LAN and WIFI I can make it work for him one way or another. Steamers I don't need any gas money or anything like that but maybe us guys could have a cold one when I come up to DR's place this month. we will have to schedule around the PIAA playoffs and of course fricken taxes. Guys I think we can really do a good deed here for a guy that needs it   8)   DR, just let me know what expenses you need covered and consider it handled, however if it goes over an arm and a leg I will have to hit steamers up for that other leg   ;D

OK 75, I think the best option given the info you have is to go the laptop route.  I've got a nice Toshiba Satellite laptop that is wireless/LAN equipped with a 16"screen.  I just need to do a fresh Windows install and add some anti-virus.  Also have a nice wireless mouse to go with it.  How's that sound?  I can have it ready in a couple days.

rdg1975

• All State
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 09:27:38 PM »

That should work perfect, the 16 inch screen should help his eyes and the mouse will work better for him. I can just see his shakey fingers on a laptop touch pad, yikes he would never get any posts done >: >:(
I think he will be quite happy once he can start watching all the games across the USA again. FYI, he has a hot nut for a certain GA team.
What say you me and steamers have breakfast at a local diner or something when I come up. I was thinking a weekend morning so after I leave you guys I could stop by his place and get him hooked up.
Question will it have audio card, I have some spare speakers and plenty of cords etc, just let me know what you need me to provide.  8)

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »

75, no problem with the speakers.  This is an older top of the line Toshiba.  It has built in SRS surround.  I have a couple pair of Altec Lansing amplified speakers we can hook to it to get some serious sound for the old Crab Man!  The only thing I may not have is a spare LAN cable.  I haven't really looked yet but check, and if you have one, I won't bother buying one.  Breakfast sounds good.  Steamers isn't real mobile, so we'll have to go over to his house.  There's a little restaurant right at the end of his development we could go to.  You can come to my house and I'll drive us over as Steamers and I are only 10 minutes apart.

Also, once you get down to Crabber's and hook the stuff up, tell him if it ever craps out, there's a lifetime PSB warranty and I'll replace it free!!  I refurb PC's and laptops(my hobby since I retired.  Actually one of two. The other is obviously high school sports.) so I always have a bunch in the workshop. 

rdg1975

• All State
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »

need clarifaction please, so which is it you have in that workshop of yours/ high school sports or computers?   ::)

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 01:31:02 PM »

need clarifaction please, so which is it you have in that workshop of yours/ high school sports or computers?   ::)

Computers.  I've been building and refurbishing computers for years.

rdg1975

• All State
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 11:25:28 PM »

Was just pulling your leg there :). Worked at Western Electric back before they forced divestiture on us, we used to build some cutting edge computers back than, I was more into the fiber optic lasers for the high speed data transfer that allowed what we now consider normal for our internet. It always amazed me what Bell Labs and Western Electric had in the eighties but were not allowed to bring it to market.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 11:48:15 PM »

75, I've been building electronics since I was a kid.  My dad and I built a Heathkit Amp and FM receiver when I was 9 or 10 and I've been hooked ever since.  At work back in the early 90's, my office was right next to the VP of IT.  When they'd upgrade the computers, I'd always grab a couple of the old ones and started tearing them apart to see how to work on them.  Back 8 or 10 years ago I was making good money buying carcasses on ebay and refurbing and reselling.  Essentially I'd look for ones that had good motherboards, but were missing DVD's RAM, hard drives, etc.  Then I bought that stuff in bulk.  I'd pay 20 bucks for a carcass, put another 35 in parts.  Do a fresh windows install and sell the thing for $150.  I always offered a 90 day warranty, no questions asked.  Only ever had one come back.

Since the bottom has dropped out of that since new ones are so much cheaper, now I just do custom builds for people.

rdg1975

• All State
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 11:59:30 PM »

Cool, so someone else knows the word Heathkit. My dad was into electronics back in the Air Force so when we got back from Masaua AFB he always had something ripped apart and he made sure we learned how to dismantle and test shit, of course that was tube technology but it is really all the same.
I will have to keep that in mind as we swap out some stuff at work and see what I can snag for you moving forward

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:23 PM »

75, we built that amp in 1955 and also ordered a custom Garrard turntable and built speakers.  I'm still using the turntable and speakers and have the amp in storage.  The speakers have rubber coned Jensens in them and I can power my guitar and organ through them with zero distortion.  I called Garrard a couple years ago and asked about the lifetime warranty on the diamond needle and the guy was shocked.  He said "how old is it" and I said "close to 65 years old".  He said he never had one that "new" fail" but they would replace it! LOL  I explained it's working fine I just wanted to know if it was truly a lifetime warranty.

BTW, I just about have Crabbers laptop ready.  He'll even have crabber wallpaper thanks to Steamers and Mrs. River.  I tweaked the wireless and have it at 56 MBPS.  Tried some basketball and it seems good.  Obviously LAN would be better but this will at least get him on line.  Plan B will be for me to get a wireless card and antenna for one of my Dell desktops as those cards are like 9 times faster for wireless.  But the first step is to get the old guy up and running.  BTW, I can call him old guy because he is a couple years older than me.  Plus, I'm still playing full court basketball and can still dunk!! LOL

Here's a shot of the PSB server that I built.  We have 6 terabytes of storage on 3 hard drives and enough cooling to never overheat!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:10:28 PM by Downriver »

rdg1975

• All State
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 11:28:22 PM »

Sweet, the only heathkit piece I have left is the old bass cabinet with a 15 inch altec woofer in it. Used to put that baby behind my kit for practice sessions. The old console and turn table could still be in moms attic but there is no way I am digging through that mess at this point in life. BTW, I am cool for this weekend or next.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 11:41:20 PM »

You pick since you're logging the miles.  Either day on either weekend is good with me.  My only request is it has to be 11 AM or later.  Let me know and I'll PM you my address and phone number in case you get lost.  Basically the only easy ways are coming up 283 or spending money and doing the turnpike.  I'm about a mile from the Gettysburg Pike exit and from Reading without easy pass that's $6.70.  Both are pretty much the same distance and about an hour and 15 minute drive.  Being cheap, I usually use 283 and then just cut over down past Lancaster.

rdg1975

• All State
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »

Saturday is cool, you into eating, I could be there around 11am?

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »

Not really into eating but, we can run over to Steamers and have some coffee with him.  He's only 10 minutes or so from me.

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »

Not really into eating but, we can run over to Steamers and have some coffee with him.  He's only 10 minutes or so from me.

Works for me! I'll have the fresh coffee ready!
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

rdg1975

• All State
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »

everything is good for tomorrow.
by the way, I just called Crabber and he was flabbergasted that everyone was willing to help him out in his time of need  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6