PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Alhambra Tournament  (Read 113 times)

yepper

• All State
Alhambra Tournament
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »

@ Frostburg State

4 Washington Catholic Schools
3 Baltimore Catholic Schools
host Bishop Walsh

before entry into the PIAA, Phila. Catholic league schools were included.

Day 1             St. John's 70 Maria Goretti 56
                     DeMatha  79 St. Francis 74 2 OT
                     Gonzaga 67  Bishop Walsh 59
                     Paul VI 68 Mt. St. Joe's 65

early season event between the 2 leagues went 5-0 for Washington. the gap may have closed a little but not enough for a  W for Baltimore.

Day 2 schedule
                      Goretti - St. Francis   they just played in the finals of the BCL on Tuesday. SF won on a last second 3.
                      Bishop Walsh - Mt. St. Joe's
                      St. John's - DeMatha
                      Gonzaga - Paul VI

I should be there on Championship Saturday.

Buckrub

• Jr. Varsity
Re: Alhambra Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »

I'm sure Goretti and St. Francis feeling the effects of the game Tuesday.  Good bit of road time for both teams in the last couple days. Due to prior commitments, I will be unable to attend tonight's game in Chambersburg. I always try to see any state playoff games when they are in C-burg. Have a hunch Yepper will be in the area tonight.

yepper

• All State
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:23:48 PM »

On the job

Day 2

Goretti over St. Francis 66 - 46

Bishop Walsh over M. S. J.  78 - 71

DeMatha over St. John's 92 - 79

Paul VI over Gonzaga 74 - 65

Saturday lineup

Game 1 St. John's - Mt. St. Joe's

Game 2  Gonzaga - St., Francis

Game 3  Bishop Walsh - Maria Goretti

Championship Paul VI - DeMatha

extra game, Southern Garrett is playing their 'East - West' single A game regional championship game vs. New Era Academy from Baltimore City at Allegany College near Cumberland Saturday @ 6.How a Baltimore city school got into a region with far western Md. is a triumph of gerrymandering. If it wasn't championship Saturday at the Alhambra I might have popped in.

looking forward to stopping at that great Chinese buffet in La Vale! come hungry!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 05:53:04 AM by yepper »

yepper

• All State
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »

Day 3 Championship Day

forget the bracket other than the championship game. coaches got together Fri. evening and reshuffled in order to avoid playing a team they may have already played 3-4-5 times. makes sense.

Game 1   St. John's - Mt. St. Joe's won by St. John's 75 - 62 despite 36 points from L.S.U. bound James Bishop. Casey Morsell (U.Va.) had 27 for St. John's.

Game 2  St. Francis 72 Gonzaga 67. St.  Francis best played Baldwin hurt in celebration following his last second game winning shot in the BCL tournament. Still got 24 from Ra Ra Jones & 19 from Jamal West. Gonzaga 3 point shooting deserted them going about 3 for 15. Anwar Gill with 19.

Game 3  Bishop Walsh - Maria Goretti   Walsh has acquired a large local following with their new coach and 11 transfers. It showed tonight with perhaps 3,000 vocal fans packing the place. Coach of a local public team told me that he didn't mind getting beat (badly) earlier in the year as they packed the place and made a ton of $$$. Walsh running ahead all game, 1Q 21 - 12, 2Q 35-28, 3Q 47-37. Fourth quarter different. Goretti comes from 10 down to win 59-55. Big # Tsimbila (Penn State) scores 20 and #23 Blackney come alive late to score  14. Nkamhoua #3 led Walsh with 24.

Championship game DeMatha - Paul VI   Two very familiar foes. Paul lost perhaps it's best player (Roach) preseason and another good one early on in the year. Led by 6 at half but DeMatha with a 13 - 2 run to start 3Q. DeMatha wins 60 - 51. I believe that's their 29 title in 59 years, all of which they didn't participate in. Justin Moore (Nova)with 24. He made some formidable contested 3 point shots at the end of the game to seal the win. For Paul freshman little man #11 McDaniel had 18. He's not Muggsy Bogues yet but he may be the best little man to come out of the WCAC since Chris Lykes from Gonzaga a few years back.

Another nice thing was watching a lot of quality players playing their last high school game. Coaches subbing them out at the end to a well deserved round of applause. When Moore from DeMatha subbed out Coach Farello from Paul met him on the way and game him a well deserved hug. Quality players, quality coaches and an all around quality event.

Crabber

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »

How is the 7-footer from DeMatha looking this year?

yepper

• All State
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 12:43:52 PM »

I believe he's only a Jr.

can shoot the 3, good touch around the basket, on O and D.

doesn't have any crazy moves, just a very good solid player.

Crabber

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 01:34:04 PM »

I though he was only a soph. but I know he not a Sr. So he must be a Jr...lol