PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2019 Ash Wednesday, Lent, Easter  (Read 328 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
2019 Ash Wednesday, Lent, Easter
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »

Tomorrow after taking my parents to noon mass for ashes, we're heading to Jaffre's in Greensburg for their giant fish samdwiches! 

Then on to the churches for fish starting on Friday!
"there is a light that never goes out"

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2019 Ash Wednesday, Lent, Easter
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »

We will be doing our own fish at home this year. Fish in my area of Beaver County has been so bad the past several years I donít even want to go out and try anywhere again! I understand supporting your local church and fire halls but they should at least try to put out a decent product. Just my personal opinion

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »

I know that we always debate on here between "should you go to a non-profit just to support them vs where is the best fish, period" and below is from Good Food Pittsburgh regarding best fish fries in the Pittsburgh area (sorry hs at a quick glance did not see any Beaver County or even western Allegheny County for that matter).

http://www.goodfoodpittsburgh.com/14-pittsburgh-fish-fries-you-must-try-this-year/

My personal favorite was not among the 14 entities mentioned. Dorido's in South Park. It's still worth a long weekend trip home (getting to the South Park area by dinner time on a Lenten Friday) simply because we have nothing like that (or any mentioned in this article) that I can find here in Northern Ohio.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »

Ya, I must just have bad luck with Fish frys and fish on Friday in general during lent. it was either last year or the year before, people were telling me to go to a diner in Wexford. Don't want to mention their name to not berate them. I think I even posted and asked people on here about it. Radio shows doe their shows from there every now and again and it is supposed to be great fish, big portions and came highly recommended. Me and my wife went there and yes, huge portion, but when we bit into it, the batter on the fish was still raw. Sent it back, they apologized and brought us out new fish and the same thing happened.

And I know I posted this before but I still think my local church tries to save money by waiting to change their oil as long as possible

I just gave up on the whole going out for fish Friday thing

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 10:35:28 PM »

One reason I heard for not having really good cooked fish is that newer deep fryers are regulated by law for safety reasons to not get the oil temp really high enough to cook the breaded fish well. I was told that a reason Dorido's is so good is they are holding on to their old fryers which they are still allowed to use.m The newer places that that diner in Norht Hills probably have the low heat ones that don't cook  the fish before they get too dark.
As far as argument on commercial vs charity...i have been disappointed with charity fish too often. The regular bars, etc need your business as they are losing some money every Friday this time of year.

Buckrub

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 04:06:31 PM »

Since I'm biased on this, and also since the fish fry events in Emporium, PA are year round at the restaurants. And they really do cater to locals, hunters, and fishermen. The Cabin Kitchen and Buttonwood are both just flat out good, IMO. Friday nights are automatically a trip from camp to town for a fish fry. Cabin Kitchen has different options for your fish, so deep fried to Cajun' and other choices in between keep our attention. Plus, businesses in that region can use all the help they can get. Churches in the area do some things, but we like the local restaurants.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 05:57:50 PM »

I had Fat Head's fish sandwich the other day (The Codfather). We have a location in North Olmsted (where I live) and in Middleburg Heights is their main brewery and a pub there (around 3 miles from my place of work). Reviewing it on here because I know that you guys have one on the South Side.

The fish was great...definitely the closest thing to Pittsburgh. My gripe and digression is about pretentious tarter sauce. If ordering again for takeout I would probably just buy a store bought tarter sauce. I do like a good homemade (the aforementioned Dorido's does their own tarter and shrimp sauces if I recall) but there is nothing straying from the basic (namely mayo, relish, sometimes dill, and possibly something else tangy like a mustard or a vinegar).

I would add pretentious cole slaws to my list of gripes as well but those can be hit or miss. If Eat n Park or even KFC is the standard bearer, some would be better, some are excellent for certain instances (Primantis is excellent on their sammiches for example), and some are just awful (Melt, the famous grilled cheese restaurant here in Cleveland, had a very oniony slaw that is awful imo).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:01:34 PM by yannessa_is_god »

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »

YIG, my wife is right there with you.  So many places think they have to try and be different, fancy, exotic - whatever you want to call it - with the toppings, sauces and stuff.  Not just with fish either, with all menu items.  Always trying to outdo the place down the block just to appear hip, or different.  They watch too much Food Network and Cooking Channel.  Sometimes less is more. 

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a picky eater. My only blanket mainstream dislike is Indian food, and even that if forced to eat it I can find something edible.

But yes, I'm glad that you see what I'm saying. This era of Food Network and The Chew and Hell's Kitchen etc has been great for foodies and does inspire my wife and I to cook and IMO has inspired excellent modern cuisine, whether American or Italian or Mexican or BBQ or whatever. Growing up the only burger only restaurants were McDonald's/BK/Wendy's haha. Today we have mainstream (Red Robin) and great local takes (Burgatory for instance). Same with pizza, hotdogs, pierogis, crepes, etc. It's just that I don't see the need to terribly screw around with something that is good already haha.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:01:55 PM by yannessa_is_god »

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »

It is Holy Week/Passover week and heading into Easter Weekend.

Most church fish frys are over and done with...the secular ones remain for Good Friday possibly.

With that said the focus is now onto Easter weekend!

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 05:58:24 PM »

Picking up the spiral ham on Wednesday.  We traditionally always make our pepperoni/cheese Easter Pies on Holy Thursday.  And of course looking forward to Reese peanut butter eggs, Cadbury creme eggs and Mallo Cups!

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 07:10:20 AM »

Same here getting a spiral ham probably Thursday if not today. Sometime a Honeybaked Ham not 100% sure if I'll do that or just get a store bought.

The spread is ham, kielbasa, macaroni or potato salad, brussel sprouts cooked in bacon grease with bacon in it, pineapple slices, and rolls/buns.

We do dye eggs probably Easter Sunday or the Saturday before. My oldest two sons have a birthday party to attend that Saturday evening so not 100t sure when we will dye. If we hide eggs they are not real eggs, rather they are the plastic ones filled with prizes. The real eggs are just fun to dye plus I need them for my macaroni salad and deviled eggs haha.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »

Just reminded that I haave not purchased a ham yet. Not a big ham fan, but will do a half spiraled cut one I guess.  Just so much waste on the ham  if you don't make any ham and green bean soup or something.  Probably do some potato salad (maybe mac)..some mashed sweet potatoes (Bob Evans). Just have it buffet style for anyone that drops over during the day.
Two of the (getting older) grandkids are here this week due to Pittsburgh Public Schools "spring break" so they will dye eggs Thurs or Fri.  They will go home on Saturday, I imagine, to get their Easter baskets. When all the grandkids were young, my wife would hid eggs around the yard or house. Putting the real eggs out would always lead to not finding one until July or something. At some point she switched to plastic eggs with money in them.
Hope yinz all have a nice holiday.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 01:24:19 PM »

Yeah that's the reason that we do not hide real eggs, either.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »

Another tradition is The Ten Commandments is on that Saturday 7pm on ABC. I will probably DVR it but I love that film. Jesus of Nazareth was another favorite this time of year but I do not believe that any network is airing it this year.
Pages: [1] 2