PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Pens 2018-2019 Regular Season Part 3  (Read 498 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pens 2018-2019 Regular Season Part 3
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »

McCann with the empty net goal to give the Pens a 5-3 lead. Risky play because if he missed, that would've been icing

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2019, 09:48:26 PM »

That's game! Pens end the capitals 7 game winning streak with a 5-3 win! But in all honesty, Pens were lucky to get a win in this game. That 3 goal surge in the second period won it for the Pens. Pens power play was not good to start and I can't even count how many posts the Caps hit and how many wide open nets they whiffed on. And IMO, yes Crosby had 2 goals but I did not like his game tonight. As Bfgrad stated earlier, his passing was god awful today. Constantly turning the puck over. But as they say - a win is a win is a win

pens are able to keep that tiny points cushion as the Blue Jackets win tonight 7-4 over the bruins and Montreal is leading over the Red Wings   

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »

Not going to complain about a hard fought win. Yeah, Caps hit a few posts, but sometimes that's the way it goes. Pens had a few losses this year when the same thing happened.

I hated last year's trades and the ones earlier this season, but Rutherford did a good job correcting his mistakes (maybe Craig Patrick helped, too). Finding a match with FLA to move Brassard and Sheahan and get McCann and Bugjustad has worked out really well. McCann has been a revelation. He made a great play taking the puck off Kuznetsov to find Guentzel for the 1st goal and ignite the rally. Pettersen has gotten better and better on defense. Gudbranson has been good as well. He sure kept Wilson in check tonight. I think I like the composition of the team right now and that they have a legit chance at another Cup if Murray stays steady.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2019, 10:56:22 PM »

Not going to complain about a hard fought win. Yeah, Caps hit a few posts, but sometimes that's the way it goes. Pens had a few losses this year when the same thing happened.

I hated last year's trades and the ones earlier this season, but Rutherford did a good job correcting his mistakes (maybe Craig Patrick helped, too). Finding a match with FLA to move Brassard and Sheahan and get McCann and Bugjustad has worked out really well. McCann has been a revelation. He made a great play taking the puck off Kuznetsov to find Guentzel for the 1st goal and ignite the rally. Pettersen has gotten better and better on defense. Gudbranson has been good as well. He sure kept Wilson in check tonight. I think I like the composition of the team right now and that they have a legit chance at another Cup if Murray stays steady.

I am really starting to wonder what the Pens will do with Letang when his contract is up I think in a season or two. Letang is having one of his best seasons but IMO, he just is not worth the money the Pens are paying him. I'm really liking the play of our defense right now (Yes, even Johnson). I think his contact money can be spread around to keep some of the players we already have unless Letang will be willing to take a huge paycut but I doubt it.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2019, 04:51:23 AM »

Pens will have to figure out what to do with Schultz first. He's a UFA after next season. The problem Letang brings is that Sullivan overuses him when he plays. Less of Letang is more, but Sullivan can't seem to resist the temptation to play him a lot. When Letang's not there, the workload and minutes are spread out more evenly and the defense plays better overall.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »

If/when they see Washington again they will need to do a much better job vs. Ovechkin. He had 4-5 grade A chances last night...he will usually score on probably 75% of those. The game could have easily have been a 2 goal Capitals win.

With that said any win over the Caps is a good win.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »

Pens will have to figure out what to do with Schultz first. He's a UFA after next season. The problem Letang brings is that Sullivan overuses him when he plays. Less of Letang is more, but Sullivan can't seem to resist the temptation to play him a lot. When Letang's not there, the workload and minutes are spread out more evenly and the defense plays better overall.

I'd like to see if they can lock up Schultz when this season is over. I think he will be very willing to stay here

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »

Agreed completely about Schultz.

And while Crosby has a half dozen highlight reel goals as usual, his Larry Murphy pass to spring Sid free last night is the Penguins play of the year IMO given the skill involved, the teamwork involved, and the opponent/time of the year.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »

Looks like DeSmith will be starting tonight as he was the first off the ice at practice. Letang and Maatta also practiced and Rust had on a no contact jersey. ZAR is out "longer term" and Sullivan said he hopes he can come back before the season is over.

Hope Pens bring their A game tonight. Buffalo is not playing good but we all know how sometimes the Pens take their foot off the gas when they play teams like this

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »

Eichel is out tonight via suspension. That should help.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2019, 08:36:45 PM »

Just get back from a baseball meeting and the Pens are handling the Sabres 3-0 late in the second period. DeSmith looks really good so far in net

Kessel, Dumoulin and Hornqvist with the goals. Crosby with 1 assist so far

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2019, 04:58:19 AM »

Pens avoid the dreaded trap game and beat the Sabres 5-0 last night. 3 goals in the second period and goals from Bjugstad and Guentzel in the 3rd sealed the win. DeSmith played great in his first start in almost weeks and earned his 3rd shutout of the season

Pens have back to backs this weekend starting with the dreaded Saturday afternoon game at 1:00 against the Blues and Sunday night against the Flyers. Both teams are scratching and clawing for a playoff spot so this won't be an easy weekend.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2019, 07:41:47 AM »

I like the way this team is playing right now and it honestly concerns me on what Sullivan will do when Letang, Maatta an Rust are ready to come back. I'm hoping it doesn't throw a monkey wrench in the way this team is gelling right now at the right time

also keeping an eye on that Crosby has a chance to get 100 points for the season. He is at 92 points now and needs 8 more points in 11 games. He also has 33 goals and it's not out of reach for him to get 7 goals and get to 40 for the season. I also think he has a slim chance to be voted MVP but I'm sure Kucherov and Kane will be favorites over Crosby

Not Penguins but Fleury is at 34 wins and the way Vegas is playing him, he has a chance to get to 40 wins for the season

I am still hoping and praying for a Vegas vs Penguins Stanley Cup Final!!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:16:21 AM by hs »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2019, 02:50:42 PM »

I don't honestly think Maatta will be back this season given his history of shoulder injuries and surgery. Letang will be an upgrade over Trotman, but Sullivan will have to curb his impulse to overuse him. Like in the 2016 Cup run, the defense played much better when responsibility and minutes were spread out evenly.

With ZAR out indefinitely, Rust has a spot as he's better than Blandisi and Simon and a natural winger as opposed to Bluegar who is a bit out of place.

Rutherford's trades were clunkers last year, but he corrected that this year getting Bugjustad, McCann, Pettersen and Gudbranson. Gudbranson especially has looked like a different player than what the scouting reports implied.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2019, 05:01:44 AM »

Columbus blanks Carolina last night 3-0 and Philly loses to Toronto 7-6

Columbus and Carolina are in the wild card spots with 83 points. Montreal on the outside right now with 81 and the Flyers are getting desperate being 7 points out of a playoff spot
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9