PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Pens 2018-2019 Regular Season Part 3  (Read 1720 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pens 2018-2019 Regular Season Part 3
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2019, 10:37:25 AM »

They were also missing Malkin the last 2 games.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »

The Penguins, apparently, just aren't that good anymore.

Well said lol.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »

Not very good AND missing Malkin....that's not a very good combination.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »

Have to disagree here. The Pens are a good, but not great, team. At the start of the season, the mgt spent far too much time trying to accomodate Brassard and I think that contributed to their slow start. I think the subsequent trades have created a much better team, one that I think can make a run at another championship.

Right now the playoff spots are as close as fuzz on tick's ear, opponents who are fighting for a playoff spot or playoff positioning are playing like it's game 7. Not having Malkin means opponents can concentrate their best d-men and forwards on Crosby's line and it shows on the PP and lack of secondary scoring.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2019, 05:46:26 AM »

Pens send Blandisi and Riikola to WBS, recall F Adam Johnson.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2019, 06:15:03 AM »

Have to disagree here. The Pens are a good, but not great, team. At the start of the season, the mgt spent far too much time trying to accomodate Brassard and I think that contributed to their slow start. I think the subsequent trades have created a much better team, one that I think can make a run at another championship.

Right now the playoff spots are as close as fuzz on tick's ear, opponents who are fighting for a playoff spot or playoff positioning are playing like it's game 7. Not having Malkin means opponents can concentrate their best d-men and forwards on Crosby's line and it shows on the PP and lack of secondary scoring.

I agree with this and I believe this team just needs Murray to steal a game for them and he just hasn't been able to do that lately. Sure, there have been some defensive breakdowns in front of him, odd man breaks etc. but every once in a while your goalie has to make that save. I may be missing 1 or two games but the last time I felt Murray was just unstoppable and flat out won a game for the Pens was when they went into Toronto and shut them out

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2019, 06:18:23 AM »

Washington was able to get Tampa Bay to OT last night and get a point but wound up losing 5-4 so the Capitals sit atop the Metro with 94 points. Islanders in second with 91 and the Penguins in 3rd with 87 points

Hopefully the Pens are ready to play tonight against the Predators. That arena in Nashville will be rockin'

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »

Holtby has been terrible lately.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2019, 10:10:06 AM »

The Penguins need to play significantly better on defense from the goalie out, first line to fourth line.
They're just not that good, or haven't played as if they are for two years now.

The Penguins need to play significantly better on offense.
One goal a game for a week, then 5 goals a game for 3-4, then one goal a game down the stretch doesn't cut it.
They're just not that good, or haven't played as if they are for two years now.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »

I realize that defense wins championships, but for me I worry more about the Pens when they are not scoring goals. Defense can be taught and executed, and I have no problem with them choosing to "flip a switch" as they chose to in 2015 and in 2016. Also, with them, good offense seems to breathe more life into their defense and MM, who both seem to play better when their offense is doing their thing.

No need to trap or completely change their approach, but they do need to find some ways to maximize their offensive potential.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2019, 10:30:19 PM »

Penguins can't get out of own zone and the Preds tie the game with 3 minutes to play....a greatly familiar theme...

Murray stones the Preds in shootout, Crosby scores the only S/O goal and the Pens get 2 points!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:47:49 PM by Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio »

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »

This time thanfully the Pens get the second point as Crosby nets the only goal in the shootout.  Murray stops all 3 he faces.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1788-601 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 48 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »

Islanders and Canes both lose so the Pens separate a bit from Car and are tied in points with the NYI.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1788-601 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 48 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2019, 05:17:54 AM »

Two points is two points, but the Pens need to figure out how to produce more offense. Their defense has been pretty good, defensemen are playing within themselves and the forwards are doing a good job backchecking and disrupting opponents' offenses.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2019, 06:08:32 AM »

Two points is two points, but the Pens need to figure out how to produce more offense. Their defense has been pretty good, defensemen are playing within themselves and the forwards are doing a good job backchecking and disrupting opponents' offenses.

I honestly think this is what it is going to be until Malkin comes back. the 3rd and 4th lines have been sporadic in offensive production all year and if other teams can focus on Crosby's line, we are gonna get a goal or two from our top line and that seems to be it. Hornqvist is absolutely snake bit right now and not getting any breaks. Hit a post last night and Crosby set him up right in front and the puck just slid of his stick. Hopefully he can turn it around because that long term deal he got looks to be pretty bad right now

And the theme of the game once again is - Murray played a really good game BUT - That goal he gave up late in the 3rd was bad. If he was tight against the post it would've been a save but if it is not his glove, it is those bad angle shots against the post are his bug a boo. IMO, I think he believes there is no way someone can shoot it on net that close to the post from there so he cheats a little to the center to cut it off in case it is passed to the center and it is abled to be snuck in between him and the post. Just my opinion though

With all that said, really happy with a win last night. Good to see the Penguins go into a hostile environment and get the two points. They had to be shaking in their boots after letting Nashville tie it up late. Here we go again had to be going through everyone's head. I really like the way Johnson is playing right now. Him and Schultz have been a great defensive pair and Johnson is sneaky strong and can put on some good clean hits every now and again
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15