PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New transfer rule knocks out Roman Catholic guard from state playoffs  (Read 433 times)

rdg1975

• All State
Re: New transfer rule knocks out Roman Catholic guard from state playoffs
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:26:16 PM »

Breaks my heart.  How about the quote ‘explore other legal options’

yepper

• All State
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »

don't cry for me Argentina

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:52:12 PM »

Actions have consequences. It's not like the new rule wasn't known or publicized.

RyanHS93

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 05:28:28 AM »

This is BS  The kid played two years for Roman Catholic  Of all the transfers this is the dumbest to crack down on   

BBFAN

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 09:14:29 AM »

All transfers should be cracked down on.  Especially the ones where these kids are leaving small public schools to go play at larger public schools or private schools.  Look in berks county for example:  SV lost the ermil kid to reading high.  6-5 freshman.  Rumor that SV best 8th grader is going to Berks Catholic. 6-3 wing man.  Rumor that hamburgs best middle school play will be going to Berks catholic.  This is getting out of hand.  Either make these private schools all play 6A or make them play in their own league.  These small schools dont have any chance because when a good player comes along they lose them to a private school.

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 02:41:50 PM »

All transfers should be cracked down on.  Especially the ones where these kids are leaving small public schools to go play at larger public schools or private schools.  Look in berks county for example:  SV lost the ermil kid to reading high.  6-5 freshman.  Rumor that SV best 8th grader is going to Berks Catholic. 6-3 wing man.  Rumor that hamburgs best middle school play will be going to Berks catholic.  This is getting out of hand.  Either make these private schools all play 6A or make them play in their own league.  These small schools dont have any chance because when a good player comes along they lose them to a private school.

What pisses me off is these kids getting sponsors and transferring from everywhere in the country and even Europe, Africa etc.
"Sponsorship" means somebody (usually an alumnus) paid their tuition.
Neumann-Goretti and Kennedy Christian are blatant examples of this.
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

yepper

• All State
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 10:25:32 PM »

well raise my rent!

Do you mean Oscar is not from Hermitage?

Husky68

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 10:56:02 PM »

I think the Neumann Goretti boys may get a bad rap when they are lumped in with the schools that "steal" players from other schools.  Most of their kids are there as freshman.  I'm not aware of them picking up kids who have established themselves at other schools.  I don't think that Harrisburg or Chester have ever been accused of stealing players but both have had a number of established players show up as juniors or seniors over the years.  A lot of family dynamics have changed over the past fifty years, and not all for the better.  Even those of us who like to talk about the good old days should remember that the '67 Ambridge team included two kids who started their careers at other schools in the valley and Farrell had a number of kids show up because they wanted to play for a good coach and program.  Like my kids say, it is what it is.  Much like we aren't going back to cars with cranks and milk on the porch two or three times a week we aren't gong back to the days of Chip Hilton and Valley Falls.  If you remember that last one you are old!

BBJUNK

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 02:44:48 AM »

Roman will still be a tough out. Greer is their fourth best player IMO

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 06:11:43 AM »

What pisses me off is these kids getting sponsors and transferring from everywhere in the country and even Europe, Africa etc.
"Sponsorship" means somebody (usually an alumnus) paid their tuition.
Neumann-Goretti and Kennedy Christian are blatant examples of this.

At least Kennedy, 1A by enrollment, is playing up in 6A. But, imho, Kennedy seems to want to be a "national" type program. They've been establishing a pipeline to Africa the past few years, bringing in transfers. I won't be surprised if they drop out of D10/PIAA sooner or later.

swwildcat

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »

One small correction, Ermil attended SV, but he lived (and still does) in the Glenside section of Reading.  I’m not sure how he attended SV though.  He may have had relatives in that area. 

BBFAN

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »

So either way this is bs.  SV was better for his education k-8 until he realized he could play basketball and then used his real address to go to a school for sports.

swwildcat

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »

So either way this is bs.  SV was better for his education k-8 until he realized he could play basketball and then used his real address to go to a school for sports.

But you can't have it both ways.  He was in SV inappropriately as he lived in Reading.  But you are only complaining because he now is going to his home school.   Private school is a whole different concept because addresses don't matter.  The point is, in public school you have to bend the rules to tranfer to another school.  In private school you can just enroll.  That's where the inequity is. 

rdg1975

• All State
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 08:50:44 PM »

BB, I always disagree when I hear that you must go to a suburban school for a better education as Reading has some of the best programs if they are taken advantage of. A student can fail or succeed at any school depending on their effort and support.
Pages: [1] 2