PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: WPIAL declines basketball coaches’ request to revive PIAA play-in games  (Read 1028 times)

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....

I've said for years--with this stuff, with the Football Wild Cards---

PICK the teams.  You want to exert control over the situation.  Own it.

Use the seeds going in.  or Meet as a committee following the quarters and pick 'em.

Same with the Wild Card--screw all of these messed up, and inappropriate formulae incorporating the Gardner Point System to compare teams that didn't play the same teams or even teams that didn't play the same number of games....  PICK 'EM & OWN THE PICKS.

OprtnShtdwn

• All State

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but in the seeding meeting for a classification, there are a group of teams where the top 3 advance. The bracket holds true and the 4 seed advances. So the question to the WPIAL basketball committee would be. Do you reverse the seeds of the 3 and 4 on purpose, because by the nature of your pairings, you are assuming the 4 seed is more deserving of advancing than the 3 seed? I keep reading the threads from the West and continually just shake my head about how idiotic this reasoning must be. Or even worse, 16 team bracket, top 9 advance. (Like D-1) The automatic advancer could be the 16 seed? I feel you pain out there guys.

Remember, Quad A use to take 10 teams into the State Tournament in the early 2000's.   In 2001, McKeesport with a 10-15 record moved on to the PIAA Tournament after losing in the 1 vs 16 game against Uniontown. 

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame

Then things went crazy when that 10-15 McKeesport team beat WPIAL Champion Char Valley in the first round of the PIAA at Ringgold.

Uniontown has the game before and beat Penn Hills (Who Char Valley carried into the field).
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1788-601 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 48 Section Titles; 60 Playoff Appearances

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....

The WPIAL can't make the PIAA play-in games work (maybe 50-60 games) over a 10-day period, but then there's this:

When the Western PA Bruins started their own spring AAU girls basketball tournament four years ago, it attracted only 55 teams. This year, the tournament is pushing 300 teams and is considered one of the top AAU girls events in the eastern part of the country.

The Western PA Bruins Spring Tipoff will be staged Saturday and Sunday at 19 different sites in the Pittsburgh area. A few thousand girls players from a dozen states in grades 4-11 will play in the tournament and the high school divisions will include some top players around the country, and also from Western Pennsylvania.

300 teams
19 sites
TWO days....

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame

Bob, if the WPIAL wanted to do playback games, all they have to do is copy one of the other districts formats.  It takes no work and I'm sure D1 or D3 would be happy to share their expertise.  You don't have to worry about sites because all games are played at the higher seed, so these teams get bonus home games. Same with the winners bracket.  All games played at the higher seed until the finals and then they're split between the Giant Center and the Santandar Arena in Reading.  Once again were not talking brain surgery here. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]