PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Catchers protective equipment  (Read 90 times)

E Q KIMBAL

• Varsity
Catchers protective equipment
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »

I have a rules question and canít seem to get a clear answer.
Does anyone know what the rule is in regard to catchers helmet and mask? Do they have to be the one piece hockey style or can they be protective helmet and a regular catchers mask?
I found the National ha rule but was told the piaa might be different but of course you have to pay for the piaa rules.

FHS15473

• Jr. Varsity
Re: Catchers protective equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:12:42 PM »

I believe they have to be 1-piece, hockey style helmets.

And I believe there is a rule change either this year or next year, that chest protectors have to have the NOCSAE stamp on them. Same goes for the baseballs. Not sure which one is first, but within the next 2 years, both will have to be stamped NOCSAE.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:40:10 PM »

One piece hockey style is required as far as I know. This is what I could find:

Proper Catcherís Equipment

Because of the significant amount of exposure to thrown or batted balls and thrown bats, the catcher is involved with every pitch and most of the action at or around home plate.  It is imperative that they are properly equipped.  Prior to start of a baseball game, the head coach verifies that the players are legally and properly equipped.  The catcherís helmet and mask combination shall meet the NOCSAE standard which includes having full ear protection with dual ear flaps.  The skull cap and mask combination does not meet the NOCSAE standard nor does it provide full ear protection with dual ear flaps and is not permitted for high school baseball.  The catcher shall wear a throat protector which is either attached or part of the catcherís mask.  It shall adequately cover the throat.  When a non-adult is in a crouch position and is warming up a pitcher at any location he shall wear face and head protection with throat protection and a protective cup (male only).  Ensuring that the catcher is properly equipped will reduce the risk of serious injury and maximizes his enjoyment of the game.

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:30:34 AM »

In regards to the old school batters helmet and mask catchers combo, I've never actually saw the rule enforced.  I know I've saw catchers wear them in high school but honestly, its so rare at this point.  It's just so much easier to go with the hockey helmet style.  Yeah it's a little extra weight but the coverage, comfort and good sight lines makes it the go to now across all of baseball.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »

Any new safety regulations on catcher's cups?   :)

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 05:53:22 AM »

Any new safety regulations on catcher's cups?   :)

Yes, wear them lol.  It amazes me how little infielders wear them anymore.  Having a cup in gives you the confidence to body up a ball if necessary which with how many skin infields there are in Western PA would make sense.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 09:40:47 AM »

I remember a situation where a summer youth league required all the players to wear a cup. That included the few girls in the league as well. I am not sure if this was done to discourage girls from playing then or not.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »

Itís so gross to me to watch these kids share a cup! Parents, please spend the couple bucks and buy your kid a cup please