PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Pitt 2019  (Read 2777 times)

quitter

• Jr. Varsity
Re: Pitt 2019
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »

I agree.  None of them look much better than another. None would do well in the sec, big 10 or even the big 12.  Not trolling, but all of them recruit their local areas after the best has been picked over by the best schools.  Pitt struggles to keep the best of western pa.  I donít see them ever competing in the top 10.  10 wins would be an excellent season.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »

Trying to recruit against a full stadium of avid fans when, you only can offer half empty Heinz by trying to convince a good  player that playing on the same field as the Steelers means anythiing.  Bringing in mediocre players only results in mediocre records..but, hey, if 7-5 excites you..H2P!

BTW..I don't hate Pitt..It kills me to see how far they have fallen.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »

I think one issue is Pitt fans overrate their own players or program. Losing to BC and Miami arenít bad losses. Those programs are on a similar level as Pitt.

So at this point, you're either mindlessly trolling to absalve your own boredom, or simply don't follow college football.

KK, all I can say to the post above you is this...here's your sign.  He's the same guy that thinks Nutting is a good owner so consider the source please.

By the way, BC fired their head coach today AFTER beating Pitt lmao.  But it's not a bad loss smfh.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:29:30 PM by bftigers »

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »

Do you guys actually think there is a coach out there who can average 9 wins a season at Pitt?

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2019, 07:52:51 PM »

Trying to recruit against a full stadium of avid fans when, you only can offer half empty Heinz by trying to convince a good  player that playing on the same field as the Steelers means anythiing.  Bringing in mediocre players only results in mediocre records..but, hey, if 7-5 excites you..H2P!

BTW..I don't hate Pitt..It kills me to see how far they have fallen.

Pitt's Class of 2020 is currently ranked higher than these schools; Okla St, Mich St, Baylor, Virginia, WVU and Va Tech.  Hell, their 2020 group is ranked significantly higher than Virginia, Va Tech, Syracuse and even USC.

In 2015, Pitt out-recruited BC and Virginia. In 2016, Pitt had the 30th ranked class.  Significantly higher than teams like Virginia, BC and Va Tech.  In 2017, Pitt was ranked higher than Wisconsin, Minnesota, Baylor and Iowa.  In 2018, Pitt again was much higher than BC and Virginia with their recruiting.  The 2019 class for Pitt was Narduzzi's worst ranked under his leadership.

So in essence, Pitt is getting talent. They need to be coached up a lot better.  Just look at the teams mentioned above Pitt has out-recruited but those teams are getting better results on the field this year.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:56:27 PM by bftigers »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2019, 08:01:41 PM »

Do you guys actually think there is a coach out there who can average 9 wins a season at Pitt?

You just aren't following along.  All I am asking for is getting to 9-10 wins every few years.  If there are 6, 7, 8 win seasons sandwiched in there, oh well, that's okay.

That isn't much to ask in that dreadful division and conference.

How people forget Wanny won 9 games in 2008 then 10 in 2009 finishing 15th ranked in nation only to be fired by clueless AD Pederson in 2010 after winning 7.  That's an average of almost 9 wins per season.  There ya go, brother.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:10:44 PM by bftigers »

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2019, 08:23:58 PM »

That was in the Big East too.

You arenít following me. Pitt is a mediocre program. They are one of two ACC programs who donít have their own stadium, Miami the other. They arein an area that other than BC and Syracuse is in a weak place for elite recruits when compared to the rest of the ACC. They just arenít in a position to bottom out at 7-5, which it seems you think should be the standard.

Whatís more is if and when they do win 10 games, the coach will leave to coach at a more prestigious program because the reality of the situation is Pitt is a bottom 3rd power 5 destination. Even in the ACC I would list Clemson, Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech all well ahead of Pitt in terms of attractiveness to coaches and potential to win. UNC, NC St, Louisville, Virginia and Georgia Tech all at of near the same as Pitt. Duke, BC, Wake and Syracuse below.

So to put this to rest, I donít think Pitt is underachieving as a programwhen you look at what they have to offer objectively. And Iíd imagine most college football fans would agree with me.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »

They are mediocre due to incompetence by their leadership.  Wanny should still be the head coach.

Nevertheless, in 2016, only Miami, FSU and Clemson had better recruiting classes in the ACC. In 2017, Pitt was equal to Va Tech.  Gotta coach them up my man.

Just read my previous post on their recruiting since Narduzzi arrived.  Pitt has PLENTY to offer.  Kids want a chance to go to the NFL.  17 Pitt players on NFL rosters and 5 on the practice squad RIGHT NOW.

So stop asking what do they have to offer.  Ask fellas like Tyler Boyd, Larry Fitz, Darelle Revis, Shady McCoy, Dion Lewis and tons of others what Pitt can offer.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:11:44 PM by bftigers »

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2019, 09:45:51 AM »

I guess i'm somewhere in between.  I don't expect five straight 10-win seasons.  But I do consider ending the year by not scoring against VT and losing to BC to be pretty terrible.  The BC loss especially.  This Forum is literally the only place on the internet where I've read that Saturday wasn't a bad loss. 

Looks like the Military or Pinstripe bowls.  I remember KK going to bowls in the past.  Not sure if anybody else here will attend the Bowl, but I think maybe one of these two bowls would be close enough to get some fans to travel.  Military will be against Group of 5 AAC team, Pinstripe against a god awful B10 team like Michigan State or Illinois. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2019, 11:29:14 AM »

"...Ask fellas like Tyler Boyd, Larry Fitz, Darelle Revis, Shady McCoy, Dion Lewis and tons of others what Pitt can offer." 
Many teams have these kinds of plays all together on the same team...not one every couple of years.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while :)
The claims that Pitt has better recruiting classes than all those schools finishing above them leads me to question who is rating the classes and/or the Pitt coaches don't know what to do with good players when they get them.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2019, 01:09:02 PM »

The 2016 recruiting class rankings does not tell the whole story (FLORIDA STATE was higher than Clemson for instance) but on the Pitt side of the conference it was:

1. North Carolina (22)
2. Miami, FL (23)
3. Pitt (29)
4. Duke (31)
5. Virginia Tech (49)
6. Virginia (61)
7. Georgia Tech (69)

Nothing really correlated other than Georgia Tech being bad. So the talent argument doesn't help or hurt the argument.  I think much like the Steelers situation when your QB isn't great or even bad it puts your team at a real disadvantage,  as opposed to a qb who can single handedly rally teams to victory. So Pitt's 10 other starters on offense probably are not receiving  a fair grade because their QB stinks.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2019, 01:21:23 PM »

And I'm somewhere between BT and Nicky about Pitt expectations,  although I do agree completely with BF on one thing (they should have kept Wanny...I felt that even st the time but hindsite has been even harsher for Pitt regarding that decision).

Like the talent indicated 3rd place in ACC Coastal they finished in a log jam tied for 3rd. Underachieving is all relative. Vegas over/under entering the season was 6. ESPN did not project them for a bowl (which means 5 wins or less, as any Power 5 team with 6 wins is going bowling theee days). But like a few of you have said not competing vs Va Tech was ugly, and the loss to BC at Heinz was a bad loss period. For those of us who could live with other tradeoffs (i.e. upsetting UCF and Duke but losing to Miami) the BC game undermined our argument honestly.

My point all along has been if someone told us before the season that they would finish 7-5 most of us would have been mildly satisfied. The close loss at Penn State and the UCF game gave probably false hope for 9+ wins.

Regarding Narduzzi I feel that of you believe that Wanny should not have been fired you give Narduzzi the same benefit of the doubt for now at least. I realize that Wanny's highs were higher in terms of wins but Pitt has also seem a lot worse in all of our memories.  That's not an excuse to be satisfied with 7-5 but IMO he has done nothing egregious enough to lose the job yet, either.

Interesting perspective but Pitt has only fired one coach since 1992 (when they fired Hackett) and that was Wannestedt. Majors left on his own, Harris was a mutual decision, High Octane got greedy, and Chryst went home.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]