PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Jeannette getting field turf?  (Read 396 times)

E Q KIMBAL

• Varsity
Jeannette getting field turf?
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »

I attended a public meeting held by the school district where they outlined a plan where it would be cost effective to install an artificial surface. The meeting was very well organized covering costs of the past three years and what needs completed in the buildings physically and educationally.  They outlined what needs done at the stadium and how turf benefits the school and community.  Turf would be safer than the current playing surface for all sports. Amazingly the cost of maintenance of the grass field, irrigation, fertilizer, paint, labor and resodding averages over $40,000 per year.
Currently between the hs football, soccer and midget program only 41 events are held at McKee Stadium last year. Of those events the midgets play 5 games with 4 teams for 20 of those events. Turf would open up many more possibilities including outside graduations and getting the baseball and softball teams out of the gym.
Nothing is final but itís looking very positive.

MANiAC

• Jr. Varsity
Re: Jeannette getting field turf?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:12:56 PM »

I hope they address the wasp nests in the wooden lockers of the visitors' locker room

green

• Varsity
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »

Because field turf is being planned, the scare of merging with Penn-Trafford must be over.
 It wasn't too long ago that I read about the bad locker room conditions at Jeannette. Is there any chance of them putting some money into their locker room building? When I invite guests into my home, I offer them the best that I have. I think the people of Jeannette are just as generous. I hope the Jeannette lockerooms will not prove me wrong.

panthers76

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »

Merging of school districts should happen.  The same goes for municipalities.  It just makes no sense to have South Greensburg, Southwest Greensburg, Penn Boro, North Irwin.  Half of Manor goes to Penn Trafford the other other half goes to Hempfield.

Places like Jeannettee are afraid of losing their identity.  I understand that.  However,  let's learning from the good and bad of Central Valley and use that info to move forward for other mergers.

There is no rule saying a high school can't field multiple sports teams in the same sport.  I could be wrong.  However, fear off losing Athletic programs should not stop discussion that makes education more affordable with better opportunities for students.

E Q KIMBAL

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:53:42 PM »

Financially Jeannette is on stable ground and there are no plans to merge and that was made clear at this meeting. Locker room up grades were made.last year and most were to the home locker room. Iím not sure of the visitors but they were in good condition the last time I was in   And showered are.available in the school from my understanding.

E Q KIMBAL

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »

School board voted 8-0 McKee Statium will have turf!
Possibility this season.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »

In the school districts where the athletic fields are used so much for the community activities, it is economically prudent to turf the fields.  The original outlay is a big cost, but money saved over the life of the surface on maintaining, etc.  pays for it. I just hope they will not lock up the place too often..which I have seen in some places.  Nothing better than going past the playing fields and seeing kids out there kicking the ball around or passing and just enjoying being on the turf...maybe playing out some fantasy that will turn into a nice avenue to college and so on. Maybe they should save a small section of the dirt/grass off to the side to let the kids walk on like so many of the great Jayhawks of the past used.

E Q KIMBAL

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 07:49:21 AM »

So many activities can take place. The soccer club would be able to host a tournament, band and flag competitions. No more renting fields for playoff football games or regular season girls and boys soccer. More outside activities at the elementary school. Midget football games can host playoffs the lust goes on.