PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Uniontown 2018  (Read 281 times)

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
Uniontown 2018
« on: October 31, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »

After a historically bad football season, attention can be turned to the hardwood where Uniontown should fare much better.  There is hype and expectation with this team after competing for the section title and knocking of 5 seed Central Valley in the WPIAL 1st Round.  My Red Raiders had their season end after nearly knocking off 4 seed Indiana in the second round.

This team is loaded in the Junior Class and that is why there are high expectations for the next 2 years at least.  Last year they were coming off back to back non-playoff seasons which is blasphemy in these parts.  Now this year they team is considered the favorite in the section along with defending section champion, Belle Vernon.

With realignment the section got smaller and is probably weaker now.  Out are Keystone Oaks, South Fayette, and McGuffey and in comes Ringgold.  Uniontown went from 14 section games to 10, which means room for more out of section games.  Below is Uniontown's schedule for this year, but I believe they are a game or two short as I don't know what is happening with the yearly Tip Off at Penn State Fayette.

12/11/18 @ Hempfield
12/12/18 vs. Washington
12/18/18 @ Albert Gallatin
12/21/18 vs. South Park *

01/04/19 @ Belle Vernon *
01/08/19 vs Ringgold *
01/09/19 vs Mt Pleasant
01/11/19 @ Elizabeth Forward *
01/15/19 vs Waynesburg *
01/18/19 vs Connellsville
01/22/19 @ South Park *
01/25/19 vs Belle Vernon *
01/29/19 @ Ringgold *
01/30/19 @ Laurel Highlands

02/01/19 vs Elizabeth Forward *
02/05/19 @ Waynesburg *
02/08/19 @ Greensburg Salem
02/11/19 vs Laurel Highlands

Schedule Thoughts: Expected games with County Rivals AG and Connellsville and as long as they aren't in the same section, LH will always occupy 2 non section spots.  I love the game with Wash High as those are 2 of the more historic programs in the WPIAL.  I can't remember the last time we've played each other in basketball.  The game with GS is a familiar game and is a decent 5A opponent.  Mt Pleasant is also a familiar opponent and gives them a cross over 4A game.  The Hempfield game hasn't been played in some time and I feel is a solid 6A game.  I like this schedule a lot more than last year, though will less section games and no 3 games at Disney, it makes for a better schedule. 

I will have a roster as soon as I am able to get one.  Can't wait for this season and hopefully my Red Raiders live up to the expectations.  It's been too long with a section title and teams like Wash High and Monessen are gaining ground for most section titles. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
Re: Uniontown 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 10:12:50 PM »

Kid, I know it's been quite some time since Washington & Uniontown played.
I want to say the early 1970s when John Unice was coach at Washington.

BMroziak

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 08:53:39 AM »

As of now, they are 1 game short, no game on opening night, I suggested a 3rd LH-Utwn Game at Fayette, because both teams are not playing, but for whatever reason doesn't look like that is happening..They play AG at Fayette on December 8th..  The only Friday Boys Game at Fayette is AG v. Connellsville.  Holiday Tournament is in Southern Garrett County Maryland Dec 27th and 28th don't know who they are playing yet there.   Bob, you coming down for Wash High-Utwn Game for WJPA?   Team should be solid, watched them in Grant Street Summer League and they looked real good..
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:01:31 AM by BMroziak »

wpialbasketball

• Varsity
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »

Class 4A in general should be interesting this year.  The Beaver County section is still strong, but I don't think Quaker Valley and New Castle are what they were last year.  Ambridge may be the only team stronger in that section.  Highlands and Knoch moving back to 4A will change the landscape a bit. 

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »

I saw about the Holiday Tournament out of state and that should be fun.  Depending on time that wouldn’t be a bad trip to make.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

BMroziak

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 01:55:50 PM »

The South Park game scheduled for 12/21 has been bumped up a day to 12/20

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »

A... Bob, you coming down for Wash High-Utwn Game for WJPA?...
I'm still in the MIDDLE of football season.
Haven't looked at hoops yet.

BMroziak

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 12:44:03 AM »

Football season has ended in Fayette County

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 07:55:08 AM »

Class 4A in general should be interesting this year.  The Beaver County section is still strong, but I don't think Quaker Valley and New Castle are what they were last year.  Ambridge may be the only team stronger in that section.  Highlands and Knoch moving back to 4A will change the landscape a bit.

Ambridge is huge. I'll bet their forwards are 6'5 to 6'7 or 6'8. They don't have a starter under 6'. I don't know fast or quick they are (they were never tested in Fall League), but they'll overwhelm most of their opponents with size.

With this year's seniors, QV is at the end of a run of talented players. They bring a couple kids back like Conlan and Moose though.

green

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 10:37:12 PM »

I was going to ask "Do you remember" then realized I needed to say "Were any of you born yet" when Channel 13 broadcast all of the WPIAL championship games with Bill Cardill?   ;D     Don't laugh,
 some day you'll wake up and ask yourself "How did I get so old all at once?

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »

I was born, and I remember...
I remember the games being played at Civic Arena....
My first WPIAL championship broadcast was there, at the Igloo.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »

When I was a young high school student our school played Midland at the Pitt Fieldhouse in WPIAL playoffs.
I believe last Championships held at the Fieldhouse were the WPIAL girls held same day boys were playing at Palumbo. Our girls won chapionship at Pitt and boys then won the championship game at Duquesne that year.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »

I was born, and I remember...
I remember the games being played at Civic Arena....
My first WPIAL championship broadcast was there, at the Igloo.

LOL Bob.  Not only do I remember basketball in the Civic Arena, I was old enough to drink!!  First time I saw basketball there was in 1968 when Middletown beat East Brady 78-48 for the State Title.