PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: RIP Connie Hawkins  (Read 596 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
RIP Connie Hawkins
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »

Connie Hawkins has passed away at age 75.

PG: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2017/10/07/Connie-Hawkins-basketball-dies-Pittsburgh-Pipers-Phoenix-Suns/stories/201710070114

This is related to the point shaving scandal that got him booted from Iowa and barred from the NBA:

He signed with the University of Iowa, but never got the chance to play after being linked to a point-shaving scandal in 1961. Though he was never formally charged with a crime and never shaved points at the college level – freshmen, at that time, were ineligible to play on a school’s varsity team – Hawkins knew the two New York-based men, Jack Molinas and Joe Hacken, who had devised the scheme. As part of the investigation, he was held by detectives in a hotel room for 14 days, unable to change his clothes and prohibited from being set free until he told them what they believed to be the truth.

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
Re: RIP Connie Hawkins
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:10:12 PM »

He was a Rucker League Legend in NYC Miles ahead of his time. There was a time way back then when some TV station or network used to broadcast Rucker League Summer games. Saw him play a lot. The league was know to have players who never even went to college that could beat the Boston Celtics. Their games drew very large crowds with people sitting high above on tree limbs.

emm8

• All State
Re: RIP Connie Hawkins
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »

I was 7 - 0 attending Pgh. Piper games in their '67 - '68 ABA Championship season, which included being 2 - 0 in the playoffs.  I was also lucky enough to be in the building (Civic Arena) for the deciding game 7 vs New Orleans, who were led by Larry Brown and Doug Moe.  I was 13 at the time of the finals and went to some of the games by myself (accompanied by my hi-top Chuck Taylor Converse All Stars of course), and the others with my mother (as my Dad wasn't a very big sports fan...other than fishing).  Days long gone, but never forgotten.   8)