PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: AMC Fear Fest  (Read 72 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
AMC Fear Fest
« on: October 15, 2018, 03:33:08 PM »

AMC Channel's annual 2-3 weeks of straight horror/supernatural movies started yesterday with a full-on marathon of the Michael Myers "Halloween" movies.

Tonight airs the trilogy of all three "Exorcist" films. 

Other upcoming special days will include a "Hellraiser" marathon and "Friday The 13th" marathon and even a day of all Stephen King movies.  Another day has all zombie movies.

Also included are classic staples such as "Poltergeist", "The Omen", and crowd favorites Chucky and Freddy Krueger. 

Needless to say, a fantastic few weeks for me with so much college football and these movies on TV!
"there is a light that never goes out"

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: AMC Fear Fest
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:32:41 PM »

Watched the Hills Have Eyes this afternoon on AMC.

Love this time of the year when the horror movies start being played again on TV

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »

Hills Have Eyes is pretty good.  Today is all zombie movies.  Not my fav genre.  28 Days Later is probably the best of those type films.  Scary because it's somewhat believable compared to other zombie flicks.  And because I have a man crush on Cillian Murphy.

I'm ready for MGM and TCM to start playing a lot of the Hammer Films original series hits from the late 50's and 60's with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.  The Hammer versions of Dracula, Frankenstein, etc....are some of my favorite October favs. 

Also a massive fan of Vincent Price.  Especially his versions of Edgar Allen Poe classics with director Roger Corman. 

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »

I was in to zombie movies for a little bit but it was really over done and has just gotten to be too much and just not good anymore

I honestly have not seen a new good horror film in a long time. They just seem to keep remaking horror movies and just doing an awful job at it.

I was hoping some of these Rob Zombie movies that came out recently would be good but nope, just awful

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »

Seems most of the "horror' films are of the slasher variety with tons of gore, rather than good chiller type  You know the guys and girls having sex or doing drugs are gonna get killed off first in some bazzare manner.
I still love seeing the old "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein" movie or Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein'

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »

Actually there haven't been a lot of new good slasher films lately.  HS is right in that the only ones coming out are rehashed remakes of the classics.  Psycho, Halloween, Friday the 13th, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, IT and Nightmare on Elm Street have all been remade.  Horribly I might add (IT actually pretty highly praised universally).  There's been rumors of a Hellraiser reboot coming too.

The "supernatural" type films have been all the rage in recent years in the horror genre.  I don't even really consider them horror, as I think Supernatural and Psychological Thrillers should be their own genres.  Examples include Dark Skies, the Insidious franchise, The Conjuring franchise (including both Annabelle films) and both Sinister films.  The Nun was a highly rated recent film.  All very good, I like these chilling supernatural films with spooky jump scares and storylines.

Some of my absolute favorites of all time:  The Silence of the Lambs, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Omen - were all of the supernatural/psychological type. 

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:27:13 AM »

Actually there haven't been a lot of new good slasher films lately.  HS is right in that the only ones coming out are rehashed remakes of the classics.  Psycho, Halloween, Friday the 13th, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, IT and Nightmare on Elm Street have all been remade.  Horribly I might add (IT actually pretty highly praised universally).  There's been rumors of a Hellraiser reboot coming too.

The "supernatural" type films have been all the rage in recent years in the horror genre.  I don't even really consider them horror, as I think Supernatural and Psychological Thrillers should be their own genres.  Examples include Dark Skies, the Insidious franchise, The Conjuring franchise (including both Annabelle films) and both Sinister films.  The Nun was a highly rated recent film.  All very good, I like these chilling supernatural films with spooky jump scares and storylines.
Some of my absolute favorites of all time:  The Silence of the Lambs, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Omen - were all of the supernatural/psychological type.

Couldn't agree more Nicky on all your points. I definitely don't consider IT a horror film and me personally, I didn't even like the remake and they are planning on making a second IT movie. I also believe the Supernatural films should be in their own category. Recent example is the movie Hereditary. Did you happen to see it Nicky? It got rave reviews from all the critics and was labeled as a horror movie and I thought it was horrible! I was so disappointed. Definitely not a horror movie and IMO, not even a really good movie at all. I haven't seen the NUN yet but heard I have been hearing disappointing things about that one also. Silence of the Lambs and Poltergeist are in my all time favorite list also