PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Proposed rule changes  (Read 30 times)

yepper

• All State
Proposed rule changes
« on: April 25, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »

I live in York, an easy walk from the home of our Atlantic League York Revolution. They play a 140 game schedule divided into 2 halves with winners in each half. I'll probably see maybe 25-30 of our home games.

The Atlantic League is considered the highest level of independent baseball. During the course of the season, which starts Friday, players from the 8 team league are routinely signed by affiliated baseball. Some make it back to the majors, most don't.

The Atlantic League is going to be the experimental guinea pig for M.L.B. for some proposed rule changes. They are;

The TrackMan System will be calling balls and strikes. You have all seen it. The ump will get the call via earpiece and make the signal. He can override i.e. the system can't tell if it's a bounced ball. The idea is more consistency.

No mound visits

Between innings time cut to 1:45 from 2:05.  We barely have enough time for the fruit race now. M.L.B. isn't going to mess with that between inning commercial time. Pays the bills.

Bases enlarged from 15 by 15 to 18 by 18 inches

Pitcher brought in from the bullpen must face 3 batters barring injury

No shift, 2 players on both side of second base.  I have an idea, why don't they just learn to hit to the opposite side where no one is?

Move the mound back 2 foot.  This has been delayed until the second half of 2020. Ross Detwiler, now with York, was asked what that would mean to him. His answer was 'retirement'.

The overall idea is to get more balls in play with less of an emphasis on walks, strikeouts and homeruns. We'll see but I tend to be old school.