PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Pens 2018-2019 Regular Season  (Read 1361 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pens 2018-2019 Regular Season
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »

Penguins were very aggressive on the penalty kill and were able to kill it off. Great job by the Penguins. Game still tied 1-1 with 11 minutes left in the game

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »

I was just sitting here thinking to myself that if there was one person that was going to kill the Penguins today with a late goal would be Oshie and he gets his revenge and scores with a minute left to give the Capitals a 2-1 lead and break the Penguins hearts because they absolutely outplayed the Capitals tonight but will have no points to show for it

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2018, 10:36:17 PM »

Penguins lose their 4th straight game but on a good note, that was possibly their best played game of the season or maybe the 2nd behind that 3-0 Toronto win. Unfortunately, it will still go down as a loss and Sullivan probably now has a disgruntled goalie in Murray on his hands.

Rust and Simon still did nothing on the top line with Crosby. I still would love to see Sprong get a shot up there. Johnson played really well with Letang IMO and I liked the energy and play from pretty much everyone tonight. Malkin though went overboard and really hurt his team with his play.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2018, 05:33:48 AM »

hs, thanks for your thoughts on the Pens/Sullivan. I agree Pens should move to a more trapping/counterattacking style. The skill players can still make creative, skill plays and maybe even have some fun playing defense. I, too, would like to see Sprong get a chance with Sid. Sid seemed to like playing with him and Simon last season and seemed energized by having 2 young wingers to mentor and coach.

Honestly, if Murray can be sent back to WBS without clearing waivers, I'd do it. His fundamentals have degraded so much since he first came up, it's obvious even to fans like me. I think it was a mistake to fire Bales who did a great job helping MAF become more fundamentally sound without taking away from his more athletic instincts. Hopefully away from the spotlight, Murray could rediscover himself.

I was surprised to read you think the players are still upset over Sullivan forcing Reaves out.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:39:23 AM by bfgrad »

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2018, 06:56:58 AM »

I was just sitting here thinking to myself that if there was one person that was going to kill the Penguins today with a late goal would be Oshie and he gets his revenge and scores with a minute left to give the Capitals a 2-1 lead and break the Penguins hearts because they absolutely outplayed the Capitals tonight but will have no points to show for it

Yup haha

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »

hs, thanks for your thoughts on the Pens/Sullivan. I agree Pens should move to a more trapping/counterattacking style. The skill players can still make creative, skill plays and maybe even have some fun playing defense. I, too, would like to see Sprong get a chance with Sid. Sid seemed to like playing with him and Simon last season and seemed energized by having 2 young wingers to mentor and coach.

Honestly, if Murray can be sent back to WBS without clearing waivers, I'd do it. His fundamentals have degraded so much since he first came up, it's obvious even to fans like me. I think it was a mistake to fire Bales who did a great job helping MAF become more fundamentally sound without taking away from his more athletic instincts. Hopefully away from the spotlight, Murray could rediscover himself.

I was surprised to read you think the players are still upset over Sullivan forcing Reaves out.

I don't know if they are STILL upset but I know they were last season and I still think he would be a good fit on this team. I'm just wondering if things like that might be coming to a head with this team. Not giving Sprong a shot with Crosby pisses me off when I see it so I can't imagine how Sprong feels when Sullivan puts Rust on that line last night that has done nothing this season

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »

They're professionals, not 12 year olds, so yes, let's not confuse the memory of Ryan Reeves with, say, the lingering memory of Pasqual Dupuis in the year-and-a-half after he retired. If anyone is "revolting" over a last season move they ought to be playing midget hockey, with the "Stop" signs on the back of their jerseys lol.

With that said the "Penguins need to play a trapping style" is parroting Mark Madden for what that is worth. Part of the point of that article, though, was regarding their overall lack of team speed as they are now an aging roster. I think that they need to shake things up a bit via trade, and they need to do something to help out the "D," but trapping is not the answer for two reasons: 1, it wastes the talent that they have (Crosby and Malkin should be competing for scoring titles and Ricahard trophies, not 70 point seasons); and 2, Maddens examples were about as antiquated as using 70s Steelers examples as to how to play defense (his mentions were Scotty Bowman and the 1992 Penguins...the league is much much much different from when either existed or were relevant).

They need to do something, though. I would say pick some line combos and stick with them. I am also not opposed to Sprong getting his shot as a top 6 forward. If not, I am not opposed to trading Sprong in a shake-up.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2018, 11:22:44 PM »

Rutherford's not too happy with their play which leads me to expect a serious shake up between now and the trade deadline.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »

Rutherford's not too happy with their play which leads me to expect a serious shake up between now and the trade deadline.

Regardless of who is traded (Brassard, Sprong, Hagelin, Hornqvist, whoever) I am sure that there will be a big trade I'm guessing before Xmas.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »

DeSmith will be starting in goal again tonight and I am shocked about that. Murray must've really fallen out of favor with Sullivan

Oleksiak will also be a healthy scratch and Ruhwhedel will start

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »

pens and Coyotes 0-0 after 1 period. Pens can't catch a break on the goal scoring. Crosby was robbed point blank and Riikola hits the inside of the pipe twice!

pens getting their chances but they need to start getting some goals

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:24 PM »

7 minutes into the second period and Crosby scores another highlight reel backhand goal to make it 1-0 Pens!

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »

Simon scores on a nice little backhand deflection in front of the net of a pass from Rust to make it 2-0 Pens

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »

Kessel gets called for a double minor high sticking penalty. Pens have a long penalty kill and Arizona will be desperate to get back into this game

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2018, 08:47:59 PM »

Hornqvist gets a power play goal with only 15 seconds left in the period to give the Penguins a 3-0 lead after 2 periods.

Would love to see the Pens get a couple more goals to give them a little more confidence down the road
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14