PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2018 4A Big Eight thread  (Read 1761 times)

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
2018 4A Big Eight thread
« on: August 16, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »

Via realignment our new section is (in order of 2017 finish with the new comer last)

Belle Vernon (10-1) - defending conference champs
Thomas Jefferson (11-2) - defending WPIAL champs
Trinity 6-4 - lost in WPIAL quarterfinals
West Mifflin 5-5 - lost in WPIAL quarterfinals
Greensburg-Salem 4-6
Laurel Highlands 5-5
Ringgold 3-6
Indiana 1-8 (competed in the NW 9)

BVA/TJ/Trinity/WM qualified for the playoffs.
Uniontown and Albert Gallatin both left the conference.
Indiana is the newcomer, and while they don't have any geographical rivalries, they have past histories vs a few of the teams (mostly GS but also some vs. WM/LH/Trinity off of the top of my head!). The oddity of this set-up is that this section, while mostly geographically logical/reasonable, now represents 5 counties: Allegheny, Westmoreland, Washington, Fayette, and Indiana.

A lot of other changes, aside from losing UT/AG and gaining Indiana. There were coaching changes at LH (Jake Just replaces Zach Just), Ringgold (the legendary Mike Zmijanac replaces the successful Nick Milchovich), and Indiana (Brandon Overdorff is the new coach, coming over from Purchase Line, of King Edward fame).

I will not go crazy into previewing the teams simply because I don't know a ton myself. With that said if anyone wants to preview their team or others feel free to contribute. My next step will be posting the non-conference schedule for the teams, including Week 0 games (some new matchups in 2018, both Week 0s with TJ and West Mifflin finding games vs larger classification opponents, as well as some new crossovers without the simply Big 9/NW9 crossovers of the past two years).

Also for those new or unfamiliar, this is a thread for good sportsmanship. From my experience over the years the regulars and guests have all been respectful, even when they do not disagree or if they dislike the opposing school. All are welcome, and certainly if you are a former member and feel without a home one is always welcome in the Big 8 thread!

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2018 4A Big Eight thread
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »

Iím going to miss having Uniontown being in this thread for the next 2 seasons. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 09:32:42 AM »

Non-conference schedules:

Belle Vernon
Ambridge
Plum

Greensburg-Salem
Hempfield (Week 0)
Mars
@ South Fayette

Indiana
Armstrong (Week 0)
McKeesport
@ Blackhawk

Laurel Highlands
@ Washington (Week 0)
@ Albert Gallatin
Montour

Ringgold
@ Chartiers Valley (Week 0)
Gateway
@ Beaver Area

Thomas Jefferson
@ Connellsville
Central Valley

Trinity
Penn-Trafford
@ Knoch

West Mifflin
Mars (Week 0)
@ Franklin Regional
New Castle

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »

Falcons01 isnít happy but I want to see that TJ vs Connellsville game.  If only because it is such a weird matchup and should add to TJís Fayette County dominance. 

THSfan

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »

Pre-Season Rankings...Ö..

1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Belle Vernon
3. West Mifflin
4. Greensburg Salem
5. Ringgold
6. Laurel Highlands
7. Trinity
8. Indiana

Pure speculation here.....I saw some talent from GS last year. But I don't have a roster of who's returning. Ringgold has coach Z and always hard nosed kids. The Mustangs are a question mark. But they at least are most likely on par with Trinity and Indiana. The Indians struggled last year and I don't see them improving much in this conference.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:36:13 PM »

From reading the previews the jist that I am getting is pretty close to yours:

1. Thomas Jefferson  (hard to pick against them ever)
2. Belle Vernon  (sounds like the consensus #2 team in all of 4A)
3. West Mifflin  (returns a lot of skill and defense OL is the only question mark)
4. Greensburg-Salem  (like you THS just a hunch that they finally get over the hump)
5. Trinity  (a true rebuilding year they lost a lot)
6. Ringgold  (the Coach Z factor makes them the biggest question mark in the conference if not all of 4A, but the cupboard is supposedly bare...I could see them finishing anywhere from 1st to 7th)
7. Laurel Highlands (like last year should be able to compete with everyone aside from TJ/BVA)
8. Indiana  (if not for Ambridge they would have been possibly the worst 4A team the past two years)

banshee826

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »

From reading the previews the jist that I am getting is pretty close to yours:

1. Thomas Jefferson  (hard to pick against them ever)
2. Belle Vernon  (sounds like the consensus #2 team in all of 4A)
3. West Mifflin  (returns a lot of skill and defense OL is the only question mark)
4. Greensburg-Salem  (like you THS just a hunch that they finally get over the hump)
5. Trinity  (a true rebuilding year they lost a lot)
6. Ringgold  (the Coach Z factor makes them the biggest question mark in the conference if not all of 4A, but the cupboard is supposedly bare...I could see them finishing anywhere from 1st to 7th)
7. Laurel Highlands (like last year should be able to compete with everyone aside from TJ/BVA)
8. Indiana  (if not for Ambridge they would have been possibly the worst 4A team the past two years)

re: Ringgold....I was hoping Coach Z's presence would help with the numbers but only 46 on Day 1 of camp last week.

The cupboard is very bare and that's being kind - if the Rams are in the mix for the last playoff spot, Mike is a miracle worker. Best player graduated ( RB Bam Small).  Only 4 seniors on team this year. JV team last year scored one TD all season. This is going to be a long, slow rebuild for him.

I did read where none of Mike's assistants at the Quips followed him to Ringgold - has anyone heard who he has on his staff - he was hired late in April - putting a staff together that late in the game might have been a bit difficult unless he lured some guys off their coach who were available.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »

Week Zero Preview:

Armstrong (2017 6-4) @ Indiana (2017 1-8): For the first time since the merger, Armstrong missed the WPIAL playoffs despite having another solid and competitive season. Their 2018 conference slate seems a bit easier, so a return to the playoffs seems likely for this 4 year old school. Since a playoff victory over West Mifflin in Round 1 2014, Indiana is 8-20, including bottoming out at 1-8 last season. The Little Indians have a new coach and they are a mystery of sorts in this section.
Recent History: 2015 Armstrong 35-20 @AHS

Hempfield (2017 1-9) @ Greensburg-Salem (2017 4-6): The traditional Westmoreland County showdown was Hempfield's only W in 2017, as they proceeded to lose their last 9 games after the 4TD victory opening night. It's actually not as if HHS was hapless, though, as they were competitive in a few games. GS was the 5th place team in the old Big Nine, losing a crucial midseason game to West Mifflin that ultimately burst their bubble. To what I said above, I really am not certain who has what coming back, but Hempfield has definitely gotten the better of the Golden Lions ever since their drop from the highest classification way back in 2000. With all of that said, games like this are one of my favorite reasons to have Week 0 and its open scheduling!
Recent History:2003 HHS 6-2 @HHS; 2004 HHS 20-17 @GS; 2005 HHS 41-14 @HHS; 2006 HHS 6-0 @GS; 2007 GS 27-14 @HHS; 2008 HHS 27-20 @GS; 2009 HHS 40-7 @HHS; 2010 GS 38-35 @GS; 2011 GS 34-14 @HHS; 2016 HHS 26-21 @GS; 2017 HHS 49-21 @HHS

Laurel Highlands (2017 5-5) @ Washington (2017 13-1): The Little Presidents are of course the defending WPIAL 2A champions and have been very good just about every year over the last half decade at least if not longer. They also have tons and tons of history on their side and a history of playing well in game when playing up in classification. The Prexies week 0 opponent will be the last standing team in 4A with a Uniontown mailing address. LH returns a Just at coach (just a different one) and some skill from a team that was a competitive 5-5 last season, including 2-0 outside of their conference. No one is really expecting a LH win here, but the same could be said for Week 0 last season when the 'Stangs upset 3A Mount Pleasant. To the best of my knowledge this is Wash High's first game vs a current Big Eight team since a home and home vs. West Mifflin in 2002-2003, which was a split with the home team winning both times.
No known recent history

Ringgold (2017 3-6) @ Chartiers Valley (2017 2-8): The Mike Zmanijac debut game is finally here. One of the most successful head coaches in the WPIAL after being unceremoniously removed from his last job takes over what looks to be a rebuilding effort at a school that has had success recently and also has a lot of history and price itself. As with any notable move there has a been a lot more buzz about this Ringgold squad coming off of a 3-6 season and not being hyped to do much of anything compared to the preseason top 5 from last season after a WPIAL semifinals appearance the previous fall. Their opponent is Big Eight at heart Chartiers Valley, who has historic rivalries with a majority of the teams in this current league. A warm welcome back, even for one game, even if the names of yesteryear such Wayne Capers, Karim El Nickolai, and Bubba Ventrone are long gone. Incredibly, as good as Ringgold has been at times, they have not beaten CV since dropping from the highest classification in 2004.
Previous History: 2004 CV 29-6 @CV; 2005 CV 35-12 @RHS; 2008 CV 17-16 @CV; 2009 CV 24-22 @RHS

Big Eight Game of the Week:
Mars (2017 6-5) @ West Mifflin (2017 5-5):
Two of the more disappointing teams in 4A in 2017 despite both qualifying for the post season (Mars lost a game to Knoch, WM lost games to Albert Gallatin and Laurel Highlands), both teams look to regroup and improve in 2018. The Planets move up to 5A and compete in a section with Penn Hills, Armstrong, and North Hills. They seem optimistic about their playoff chances from what I'm reading, and are hoping to take 5A by surprise with their Wing-T offense. West Mifflin, like Mars, hopes to regroup in 2018 with a veteran group of sorts. The Titans as always will have a lot of skill and speed at RB and will like Mars run the ball on most plays. Their goal as always is to make the playoffs and play themselves into the conference championship picture in October when they host Belle Vernon and TJ in a three week span. These two teams have met in the past in the playoffs with WM getting the better of the Planets. However this will be their first ever regular season match-up.
Recent History: 2011 WPIAL Playoffs Round 1 WM 21-7 @WM; 2012 WPIAL Quarterfinals WM 28-13 @ Fox Chapel

THSfan

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 02:47:10 PM »

Week One Rankings

1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Belle Vernon
3. West Mifflin
4. Greensburg Salem
5. Laurel Highlands
6. Trinity
7. Indiana
8. Ringgold

Week One Preview

Ambridge  at  Belle Vernon - Another fine job by the WPIAL scheduling committee. I'm sure the Leopards don't mind a tune up game before facing TJ next week......BVA 42-7

Ringgold  at  Thomas Jefferson - Coach Z has his work cut out with a young team said to be short on talent. The Rams will get better, but talk about a trial by fire......TJ 49-6

West Mifflin  at  Indiana - The Titans saved some travel expenses last week as the Martians invaded Kennywood stadium and proved to be rather rude guests, spoiling the home opener 7-6. Now they embark on their longest road trip of the season to Indiana. The Indians showed improvement in a 26-20 loss to highly ranked Armstrong. This will be a closer game than many expect. Call it in the air, heads for West Mifflin or tails for Indiana...........it's heads!.....WM 17-14

Trinity  at  Greensburg Salem - Second year in a row the Hillers travel to historic Offutt Field in downtown Greensburg. A great place to watch high school football. Not a great place if you just graduated your schools all-time leading rusher and 17 seniors. The Golden Lions have some skill and are well coached. Most certainly a playoff contender and a real challenger for third place in the conference. A tough loss to rival 6A Hempfield 27-24 was impressive. Trinity features sophomore sensation Kaden Kolsen at QB. The 6'2" 180lb strong armed passer will have some targets. Cole Bair returns with some good speed at reciever and kick returner. The OL/DL lines will have some beef, but they are very young, albeit talented. Senior Clayton Hasch 6'4" 260lb will anchor both. The roster numbers are up from last year and depending on how fast this team matures, could be the difference between contending or pretending.........GS 27-20

Laurel Highlands  at  Albert Gallatin - One of the Fayette county rivalries. The Mustangs looked impressive for three quarters against highly touted Wash High. Laurel Highlands scored first and led 13-7 before the Prexies speed and skill proved to be the difference as they pulled away 59-25 for their 39th regular season victory unbeaten streak. The longest in the WPIAL. Mustangs QB Conner Basinger is a gamer and played very well. Bulldozer RB Cheikh Dossou 6'3" 230 lb beast is hard to bring down. Aside from the two power houses atop the conference, the Mustangs will compete every week barring injuries. Albert Gallatin was dismantled by North Catholic 49-12. A class 3A school. No shame in losing to them, but they didn't even compete. That doesen't bode well for the Colonials who moved up to 5A this season. One thing is for sure. The Mustangs won't be facing an offense as potent as last week. However this is a rivalry game and you never know what you're going to get from 16-18 year old kids week to week.......LH 34-13

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:05:02 PM by THSfan »

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »

Thanks for doing this! I will try to get the histories up tomorrow!

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 10:41:21 AM »

Thanks again for the game previews. I do not have much more to add or to interject, and I will parrot those rankings for now as well. TJ/BVA did not even play. WM lost by 1 point to a likely 5A playoff team. GS played Hempfield much tougher than they did last fall. LH had a brutal matchup vs Wash High. Trinity did not play. Indiana played quite well vs Armstrong, and above average team in their first few years of existance. And Ringgold got curb stomped by a Chartiers Valley not expected to do much in 5A.

With that said, this week's slate is honestly pretty good. Two no brainers (the BVA and TJ/Ringgld games), two likely really good matchups (the Fayette County game and the Trinity/GS game), and finally a curious game (WM/Indiana...Indiana's Week 0 performance we eye opening enough to consider them in this game, but of course it is too early to tell if Indiana is good or at least better, Armstrong is bad or at least worse, or something in between).

Ambridge (0-1) @ Belle Vernon (0-0): thanks to the alphabetical nature of cross conference scheduling this has turned into an unfortunate yearly game. Ambridge has yet to score a point in the past two seasons vs the powerful Leps. Fortunately, though, it makes it easier to gather past history haha!
Previous History: 2017 BVA 42-0 @AHS; 2016 BVA 56-0 @BVA

Ringgold (0-1) @ Thomas Jefferson (0-0): nothing really to see here other than the pregame chat at midfield between the two legendary coaches
Previous History: 2017 TJ 56-7 @TJ; 2016 TJ 55-14 @RHS; 2015 RHS 27-20 @RHS; 2014 TJ 49-6 @TJ; 2013 TJ 31-10 @RHS; 2012 TJ 41-14 @TJ; 2009 TJ 41-7 @RHS; 2008 TJ 41-7 @TJ; 2006 Playoffs 1st Round TJ 48-7 @TJ; 2005 TJ 53-0 @TJ; 2004 TJ 49-6 @RHS

West Mifflin (0-1) @ Indiana (0-1): As noted above, as difficult as it is to judge teams after Week 0, this game could have potential to be anything from a blowout to an upset. We will know more about both teams after this week. As unusual of a matchup as this may seem to some, they do have a recent history including the most recent playoff win for the Little Indians! All three games from my recollection were competitive (for one the score is obvious, but the two "blowouts" were not terrible games, either.
Previous History: 2014 WPIAL Playoffs First Round IHS 42-14 @ IHS; 2013 WM 21-14 @ IHS; 2012 WM 29-0 @WM

Laurel Highlands (0-1) @ Albert Gallatin (0-1): Glad to see this game happening! THSfan had a pretty good recap of their Week 0 games and like he alluded to, while there is an obvious favorite here, just the nature of this game and rivalry it could possibly go either way.
Recent History: 2017 LH 63-26 @LH (I know that this one is much much much longer haha...for whatever reason I forgot to put their records in last year, and the previous year archives are gone. I will try to dig this up later or this weekend just for fun)

Trinty (0-0) @ Greensburg-Salem (0-1): There are of course many possible scenarios right now (WM loses a game to someone other than TJ/BVA, LH pulls off an upset or two, Indiana is better than expected, or Coach Z is a miracle worker) so with nine weeks left to play there is no "play-in" game just yet. However, simply put, the winner of this game will be better positioned to make the playoffs than the loser will be. GS has the distinction of being the back to back 5th place finisher in this section, which is dubious if for no other reason than the obvious...only four get in. They don't as far as I know print T-shirts for finishing in 5th. This is a big game for both. As you can see, very competitive game over the years!
Recent History: 2017 THS 42-14 @GS; 2016 GS 27-0 @THS; 2009 GS 10-7 @GS; 2008 THS 31-13 @THS

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »

Rankings entering Week 2:

1. Thomas Jefferson Jaguars 1-0 (1-0): The Jags skipped Week 0 for the third straight season then dominated Ringgold which was expected...their first test is this week vs. BVA in what is expected to be the conference championship game

2. Belle Vernon Leopards 1-0 (0-0): The Leps played their seemingly annual game vs. NW8 cupcake Ambridge, and with them not playing Week 0 as well, at least it leaves their Week 2 game vs. TJ as a bit of a mystery. A win vs the Jags and BVA will have their eyes set on the #1 overall seed in 4A. A loss and they will be battling West Mifflin for a home playoff game.

3. West Mifflin Titans 1-1 (1-0): WM's body of work is arguably the most impressive in the section thus far (a 7-6 loss to 5A Mars and a 35-0 win at an Indiana team that only lost to Armstrong by 4 in Week 0). With that said the 35-0 Indiana score was a bit deceiving, as the game was only 7-0 at the half before Parrish Parker at RB and the Titans defense picked things up in the third quarter. WM has a big game vs. Trinity this week. Although suddenly WM has strung together a couple of wins vs THS, Trinity seems to play WM tougher when they are the underdogs.

4. Greensburg-Salem Golden Lions 1-1 (1-0): GS won the Big Eight Game of the Week last week picking up a huge win vs. Trinity that has them currently projected to make the playoffs for the first time since 2011 (when they had the benefit of playing in the old Keystone). Although the transitive property does not apply to high school football, this week vs. Mars will give us a better idea about both WM and GS in what looks like a battle for 3rd/4th place in this section.

5. Laurel Highlands Mustangs 1-1 (0-0): While the 'Stangs have been chalk (losing to Washington then beating Albert Gallatin) and while style points do not count in the standings, they do in the rankings. LH absolutely looks competent at least and from the looks of it can play themselves into the playoffs picture. With that said they are still out of conference this week so they will still linger into mid-September as a mystery of sorts. Congrats to Coach Just #2 on his first win as a Head Coach!

6. Trinity Hillers 0-1 (0-1): Trinity lost a tough one last week vs. GS. For them to stay alive in the playoffs race they pretty much need to win this Week 2 game vs West Mifflin. A loss here and they will need chaos (as in LH/Ringgold/Indiana beating some teams in front of them) to make it, as without said chaos they then will have no tie breakers vs. WM/GS. With that said, Coach Miller's teams to tend to get better after slow starts, so maybe they rise up and win this game and put themselves square into the conference race again.

7. Indiana Little Indians 0-2 (0-1): As the only WPIAL school in Indana County they sort of have their own media market of sorts, so I have been reading up on them. Their new coach does seem to be pretty impressive. I have a feeling that the Little Indians make some noise this season. With that said, even though this is Week 2, their game vs Ringgold is an absolute must win. I have a feeling that the loser of this game will be down there with Ambridge for worst team in 4A. My money is on Indiana to win here and to win some more games possibly.

8. Ringgold Rams 0-2 (0-1): There is no shame in losing 62-0 to TJ...it happens to most aside from WM/BVA in this league. What's more telling about the Rams is the face that Chartiers Valley beat them 48-0 in Week 0, and their total points for/against this season is an Ambridgeesque 0-110 (and in defense of the Bridgers, they are only at 0-71). With all of that said, maybe Char Val is good. We all know that TJ is superb. So maybe just maybe Ringgold in their home opener takes advantage of Indiana having to travel nearly 2 hours for their road game. A loss here and the Rams will be staring at the reality of 0-10, which probably has never happened at that proud football school, a school that has beaten TJ as recently as three seasons ago.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »

Week 2 Matchups:

Montour 0-2 (0-1) @ Laurel Highlands 1-1 (0-0): This game just seems like a traditional Parkway/Keystone first round game in which the Keystone team has the higher seed but gets seeded in revers order, but I looked it up, and it never happened (LH's playoff 'rivals' tend to be TJ and Central Valley). This also seemed like a Week 10 toilet bowl type of game when both teams were down, but again, no such game that I found. So with that said, this game while it is not all that compelling from any type of rivalry or post season preview type of perspective, it may be a nice litmus to see where both teams are. Montour is 0-2 with losses to local rival 5A Moon and then last week to a New Castle team that was coming off of a loss to usually hapless Shaler. LH of course as mentioned above has been chalk but are showing signs of hope, competence, and competitiveness. Could be a good game.
No previous history:

Mars 2-0 (0-0) @ Greensburg-Salem 1-1 (1-0): GS coming off of their biggest win in years leaves the conference for two weeks, taking on 5A Mars then 4A power South Fayette in back to back weeks before returning to section play for the rest of the way. The Planets for the second time in three weeks travel to Big Eight territory, as a week ago they traveled to Kennywood to take on the Titans. We truly do not know how good either team is yet, so this game has potential to be a good one, albeit a meaningless one. Not only does GS tend to struggle vs. the old GAC teams, they have never beaten the Planets.
Recent History: 2012 Mars 49-7 @GS; 2013 Mars 38-13 @MHS; 2014 Mars 44-6 @MHS; 2015 Mars 28-13 @GS;

Indiana 0-2 (0-1) @ Ringgold 0-2 (0-1): Two new coaches at their respective schools looking for their first wins. Indiana as mentioned has played tough so far (only losing to Armstrong by 4 then holding WM to 7 points in the first half), but in a world that "you are what your record is" they are still winless in 2018, and their only win since the beginning of 2017 is vs. Ambridge. Ringgold is still looking for their first points of the Coach Z era. Brings up the "steer the horses, horse the steers" question that the Great Wizard used to muse haha.
Recent History: 2006 Ind 13-10 @RHS; 2007 Ind 43-20 @Ind

Trinity 0-1 (0-1) @ West Mifflin 1-1 (1-0): One of the more entertaining rivalries in the Big 7/8/9 over the past decade, these games tend to be close regardless of how good or not good the teams are. Case in point still is last time WM won the section in 2011 they managed to beat TJ but lose to a non-playoff qualifying Trinity. However, in defense of the Titans, they have won this game the past three seasons, albeit with two of those three games being 2 point nail biters. Long story short, this game has kind of replaced WM/Chartiers Valley as the random good game every year regardless of record. This game is big for both though as mentioned in the above post. For the Titans, this game is probably the difference between them fighting for a playoff birth and fighting for the conference crown or at least a playoff home game. A loss here and they will have work to do. Trinity already owing a loss to GS logically NEEDS this game to make the post season, as their only other outs would be them sweeping the bottom of the section while having one or more of those teams upset WM/GS. In previous seasons this was the Game of the Week for their respective weeks, but TJ/BVA is more compelling this time around.
Recent History: 2017 WM 26-24 @WM; 2016 WM 28-2 @THS; 2015 WM 29-27 @WM; 2014 THS 31-13 @THS; 2013 WM 43-28 @WM; 2012 WM 35-7 @ THS; 2011 THS 22-13 @WM; 2010 THS 25-14 @ THS; 2009 THS 28-0 @WM; 2008 THS 33-20 @THS; 2007 THS 40-21 @THS; 2006 THS 28-7 @WM

Thomas Jefferson 1-0 (1-0) @ Belle Vernon 1-0 (0-0):
Kind of the Hatfields vs the McCoys of the Big Eight, there is long time history between these schools involving legends such as the Cramers and Bap Manzini, and both Rt 51 corridor schools have had big names come through their programs over the years. TJ owned this game from 2001-2014, but since 2015 BVA actually has two wins vs. the Jags, the most for any section team vs TJ in such a short period since WM beat TJ twice in 2000. BVA has section champs banners for 2015 and 2017, but TJ has WPIAL champs banner for 2015-2017, getting the better of BVA in the playoffs last year in a head to head game. Both teams reloaded for this season, and some seem to think that the more veteran Leps may actually have the stronger team. With all of that said, the majority still favor TJ in this spot. The winner of this game has the inside track to the #1 overall seed in 4A.
Recent History: As a reminder 1995 was the beginning of the Cherpak era! 2017 WPIAL Semifinals TJ 27-0 @ Baldwin; 2017 Regular Season BVA 21-17 @BVA; 2016 TJ 55-0 @TJ; 2015 BVA 31-24 @TJ; 2014 TJ 44-12 @BVA; 2013 TJ 35-0 @TJ; 2012 TJ 57-20 @ BVA; 2011 TJ 40-7 @TJ; 2010 TJ 14-13 @BVA; 2009 TJ 26-20 @TJ; 2008 TJ 42-14 @BVA; 2007 TJ 40-21 @TJ; 2006 TJ 48-0 @BVA; 2005 TJ 41-0 @TJ; 2004 TJ 28-0 @BVA; 2003 TJ 38-7 @TJ; 2002 TJ 43-0 @BVA; 2001 TJ 20-13 @ Ringgold; 2000 BVA 24-20 @BVA; 1999 BVA 27-7; 1998 BVA 21-9; 1997 BVA 21-7; 1996 BVA 21-13; 1995 TJ 15-0

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 06:12:14 PM »

Week 3 Rankings

Again still limited time and access so I will make it short and sweet this week:

1. Thomas Jefferson Jaguars 2-0 (2-0): looking at their schedule they are 8-0 without even putting on the pads until Week 9 vs West Mifflin

2. West Mifflin Titans 2-1 (2-0): Outscoring their opponents 88-7 season to date they have back to back interesting non-conference games vs old playoff nemesis' Franklin Regional and New Castle.

3. Belle Vernon Leopards 1-1 (0-1): the delight to the eyes of former member KR is that BVA is officially in a tie for last place in the section lol. They get LH this week in a better guess of where they are than TJ or Ambridge will indicate.

4. Greensburg-Salem Golden Lions 1-2 (1-0): I give the nod to them over LH simply because of the conference win (LH to no fault of their own has still yet to play a section game).

5. Laurel Highlands Mustangs 2-1 (0-0): the 'Stangs stunned Montour with a shutout victory (I will have to research when is the last time that LH pitched a shutout!?) and have a big one this week at The Corral vs BVA.

6. Indiana Little Indians 1-2 (1-1): made it crystal clear to most that Ringgold is the worst team in 4A. The Little Indians get the culture shock of a trip to Pleasant Hills this week as an official "welcome to the Big 8" for the other extreme. After that they can refocus on a chance at the playoffs with basically all of their must win type of games still in front of them.

7. Trinity Hillers 0-2 (0-2): tough opening two weeks for them but they get some relief this week and will have to hope to beat the likes of Indiana and LH and get some help if they want any shot to return to the post season.

8. Ringgold Rams 0-3 (0-2): outscored 0-158 by Char Val, TJ, and Indiana.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 08:10:33 PM »

Now Ringgold has their worst team in recent memory when Uniontown is no longer in a conference with them.  Though based on this season that would be either a really ugly game with nobody being able to move the ball or a barn burner with neither team being able to stop each other. 
Pages: [1] 2 3