PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: Steelers regular season  (Read 3064 times)

bftigers

• All State
Re: Steelers regular season
« Reply #255 on: December 05, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »

Whatís funny is I think the off the field things are his strength. Not once has his team given up on him. Multiple teams give up on their respective coaches every season. Look at Atlanta, Cincinnati and Green Bay this season.

Agreed completely. I think of the debacle Bears game last year...the team actually was galvanized by the controversy created during that game in part because of Tomlin. People don't see him as "no nonsense" simply because he isn't Chuck Noll or Bill Cowher. For example, you don't see teams flocking to hire Tom Coughlin, and even John Gruden seems more like a one off (the Raiders are crazy). Tomlin by the modern era NFL's standards is kind of sort of a disciplinarian who is fair and doesn't overreact (i.e. to Antonio Brown's occasional antics). Honestly, his steady hand during the Leveon Bell holdout and contorversy has helped keep this team together. After the bad start or even after Conner costing them wins, he has never busdrove his bosses or players. He straddles the business and personal well.

Bf, you still have not explained what McCarthy does well. He coached a stacked roster with a top 5 all-time QB during his prime to 100 plus wins. Please tell me what he does well. Offense is his specialty if you are not familiar with who he is or if you have not watched the Packers play the last dozen years, which I'm guessing is the case. Also Bill Callahan did make the Superbowl in one of his two years coaching and I believe is the last Raiders coach to win a playoff game, so I would say that he deserves better than being called a clown.

Your take on Tomlin is spot on sir.  As for McCarthy, what he did well for 12 years prior to this season was WIN.  6 division titles, 9 playoff appearances and 1 Super Bowl win.  I am not sure what else I can say about the man's track record.  Isn't that the most important thing looking back of his time with the Packers?  Fans always think that EVERY coach but Belichick should be winning more.  It's just the nature of the beast I guess. 

And I called Callahan a STIFF, not a CLOWN.  His tenure at Nebraska after his brief stint with the Raiders only solidifies that opinion of mine. 

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #256 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:22 AM »

Look, I'm tired of debating McCarthy's weaknesses and lesser weaknesses or even perceived strengths (I guess winning games). As the person living nearest to Canton, when he gets in the Hall of Fame you can crash at my place and I'll even buy the beer.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #257 on: December 06, 2018, 08:19:01 PM »

I care more about my bowel movements than attending a HOF ceremony for McCarthy, which will never happen nor did I say it would.

But I never turn down a free beer lol....

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »

Raise you hand if you'd like to be a fly on the wall in Bill Belichick's defensive meeting tomorrow morning. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2018, 06:33:03 PM »

Raise you hand if you'd like to be a fly on the wall in Bill Belichick's defensive meeting tomorrow morning.

Honestly, I get the rationale as to why Gronk was out there (hands and size) but what Kenyan Drake did at the end to Gronk is exactly why I believe that a move like that is being too cute. Keeping in mind that all that you are asking for from your DB in a Hail Mary situation is to knock it down.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:39:04 PM by yannessa_is_god »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »

Roethlisberger injured and has not played in the second half so far. Luckily the Taiders canít get out of their own and are taking penalty after penalty and Derek Carr just flat out stinks

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »

First and goal for the Raiders and the Steelers get away with an obvious face mask on the Raiders running back

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2018, 07:10:41 PM »

Raiders score to take the lead 17-14 but Ben is back in now for the heroic finish

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »

Third and goal for the Raiders and the Steelers take an obvious pass interference but the refs donít call it. Raiders score though on 4th and goal and take the lead 24-21 with 21 seconds left and here comes Ben again

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2018, 07:32:45 PM »

Are you kidding me!!! Steelers do a perfect hook and ladder and JuJu gets out of bounds with 5 seconds left but Boswell gets his field goal attempt blocked because he slipped and the Raiders win24-21. Unbelievable finish. I hope I can stay up and watch the sports shows tonight!

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »

Personally, Tuitt's injury was the one the Steelers could have afforded the least. When he was healthy, the DL was a beast, but the elbow injury cost him 2 games and he's been less effective since. The Steelers desperately need quality DL depth. Tyson Alualu is nice, but he's notch below Tuitt and Heyward when he has to fill in. McCullers is all untapped potential. Walton is a UDFA. Those 3 as back ups simply aren't good enough. The Steeler mgmt needs to disabuse itself of the idea that DLs, esp run stopping NTs, don't matter and start putting a few high draft choices into this area of the defense. Everything starts with the DL. If they aren't good enough, it doesn't matter who the LBs or DBs are.

The offense could help this by running a ball-control offense, but the offensive philosophy is whatever BR wants, and that's throw, throw, throw.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »

And now the Steelers have to play an angry Patriots team next week and a Saints team that is fighting with the Rams for a number one seed the following week

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »

Well I think Ben was hurt but him coming back leads to a number of questions.

Did Tomlin think he could steal a win without risking further injury?
Did Ben think he could rest until they needed him?
Did he have just enough recovery time to return exactly when the Raiders took the less?

Bottom line is they win going away if he plays the 3rd Qtr.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #268 on: December 09, 2018, 08:51:02 PM »

The medical staff probably had take an xray to ensure no broken bones, then had to jigger BR up and probably a shot for pain. It might have taken most of the 3rd qtr to do all that.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #269 on: December 09, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »

My 49ers carved up the Raiders with a 3rd string rookie making his first start.  Dobbs, who has more weapons at his disposal, should have been able to muster at least one score.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1770-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19